Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Covering opinions? What do you prefer?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Covering opinions? What do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 07:49 PM
bduffel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering opinions? What do you prefer?

I am about to cover a J3 Cub and wondered what other options are out there besides Monokote, what others like and why? I overheard some guys saying they preferred another brand due tho the shrinking qualities, but didn't catch which brand. Any input?
Thanks,
Bill Duffel
Old 10-04-2004, 09:46 PM
huggins

Default RE: Covering opinions? What do you prefer?

A Cub looks good with a fabric covering. Give Solartex (available thru Balsa USA) a whirl. I just used it for the first time on a Sopwith Pup and it is very nice to work with. I have not flown with it yet, but have heard that it holds up quite well. If you want plastic, Ultracote is also great to work with.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:27 AM
Irish R.Seer
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with Huggins, Solartex is an excellent product, I've used it on several models. It is easy to apply, goes round compound curves very well, and stays tight forever. Good luck with your Cub.
Bill.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:22 AM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using Nelson Lite-fab ,(unpainted) for several years.
I really like that stuff and it takes the paint quite well.

Regards
Roby
Old 10-05-2004, 09:21 AM
Campy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to give my vote to SolarTex and Ultracote. The SolarTex would be great on a Cub and is lighter than Coverite - you also do not need to use Balsarite as the SolarTex glue is excellent.

For a plastic covering you can not beat Ultracote. The Ultracote paints are a VERY, VERY close match, unlike the LusterKote paints, and spray much better.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:04 PM
khodges

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Solartex is good, 21st Century fabric is also good, you can even get Cub Yellow. But if I were going to build that size plane, which just begs for detail, I'd go either of 2 ways: SIG Koverall fabric and use SIG Stix It to glue it down, or use the Stits fabric and his covering system. You can simulate or actually do the rib stitching, and Stits has scale pinking tape for the seams and ribs. Or you can get the rolls of hairdressing pinking at most drugstores. I used the Koverall and dope and the drugstore pinking tape on my 1/5 scale Cub and of the 3 types of covering I have used on planes (Monocote, 21st Century fabric , and Koverall,) I like the looks of the Koverall when it is finished best of all. More time and labor intensive, but worth it considering how much time and money you'll have in the Cub when you finish it. Go to Stits website for good info on his system, I've read about it, but never tried it . Have seen planes covered with it and they are truly awesome. But forget Monocote, it just doesn't look right on a Cub. Needs fabric.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:49 AM
dicknadine

go to the fabric store (wal-mart/Kmart, etc) and pick the color you want. they have it in bulk. most of it is an acetate matl that bonds good with stix-it, dope, etc. like everything else run a sample test 1st. some will shrink properly others not so good. its a lot cheaper and the coler selection is wide. you can have a fancy or funky color scheme. plus its a lot cheaper than Mono-coat, Coverite,etc. dick
Old 10-10-2004, 10:51 AM
Zeroman

If you decide not to use a cloth style covering and you have a choice between Ultracote and Monocote, i would take the Ultracote in this case.Both are excellent coverings but if you put the two side by side you will notice that the Ultracote does not shine as much as Monocote, which is what you want for a scale appearance.As far as which one is a better covering , they are both very good.Temp, temp,tempreature is the key.Chris.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:25 PM
Herb Brown

If you decide to use material from a fabric store, look for 100% Polyester dress liner fabric. It will be available in several colors, but white is the best choice. Dress liner is available in a variety of weights and weaves. Look for a material with a very high thread count and a very tight weave. This material heat shrinks easily with a hot iron. You will need to apply it to your frameworks with Sig Stixit or Balsarite (fabric version). Sounds complicated, but it is actually easy to use and ends up being a light finishing material that accepts dope well.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:04 PM
davidmor

I built a Pica Waco biplane last year and used 21st century fabric. I absolutely loved it and will definately use it again on a scale project. I personally wouldn't use anything but fabric covering on a Cub but that is my own personal opinion.