Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Volt Watch: Worth (more than) it's weight in gold!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Volt Watch: Worth (more than) it's weight in gold!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 02:28 PM
stuk_at_work
My Feedback: (111)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volt Watch: Worth (more than) it's weight in gold!

Went to fly my 2 year old H9 UltraStick-60 set up with quad flaps this past Friday. The right flap was not responding. I almost decided to fly anyway. After a bit of fiddling though, I noticed that the (Hobbico) volt-watch was "pegged in the red", indicating low voltage (on a freshly charged battery). Once I disconnected the flap from the servo extension the voltage-watch was back in the green. Apparently somewhere in the circuit from the receiver to the servo there was a dead short. If I had taken off it would have been a very short, expensive flight!

The beauty of this device is that it shows, with a series of L.E.D.'s the voltage level of your battery pack under actual load, as opposed to the simulated load that external voltage checkers provide. In this case, the symptoms indicated a dead short somewhere, but I've also used this device to isolate binding servos, as the L.E.D. display is sensitive enough to display voltage drops as servos are exercised. Not bad for $10 device!

BTW, you probably all figured out that when I went to test the setup again at home, everything worked properly, no short to be found. Servo and related extensions will not be flown again, however.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:22 PM
Walleye

Default RE: Volt Watch: Worth (more than) it's weight in gold!

Had the same experience. It turned out to be the extension from the servo to the receiver. Glad I had the volt watch hooked up. I have it on several planes now. I was thinking about going to the combo on/off charge jack 3 led switch from MPI. Have you heard anything about them?
Jerry Wallis
Old 10-12-2004, 08:36 AM
ksechler

I put one in every plane I fly and check it before I takeoff. $15 is CHEAP insurance.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:40 PM
bolofobia

I got one for all my planes, i lost a plane buecause of the battery. De better part of the volt wacht is that it tells you went thers a problem with a servo, electrical wise or mechanical wise. for the price, no plane should leave earth with out it,
Old 10-13-2004, 10:50 AM
Rubberduck

Could someone provide a link to the one(s) they use/recommend? I'd like to get one for my plane.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:54 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hobbico Voltwatch:

HCAP0330 VOLTWATCH -RX BATTERY MONITOR US$15.99

These parts can be ordered through any hobby retailer who sells Hobbico kits, chargers, and accessories.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:25 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must admit, I have been thinking about using these, but haven't yet. I do check the voltage before I fly, and between each flight without fail. I even check it before leaving the house for the field. I have a 4*60 that was saved from certain death by doing this. I left the house with 5.2 volts, go to the field, checked it again 5.1 volts, did my range check and sat and bs'd for about a half hour. Before flying I decided to check again and oops....3.1 volts. Bad battery. Still this device would make it more convenient, so maybe I really should start using them.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:04 PM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

I've got one in most of my planes. I have a spare VoltWatch that I use like a volt meter for those that don't have the volt watch installed. I also have one of those $29.00 reciever switches that have the LED lights incorporated. It only has three lights (green-OK; yellow-need to charge; and red - she's dead).
Old 10-15-2004, 07:16 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one installed in all my planes. Hobbico doesn't recommend them for use with Nimh
Old 10-16-2004, 07:14 AM
davidmor

These things just can't be beat. I have one on every plane I own (except for parkies and my gas 6V plane) and won't build a plane without one. Tower always has them on sale throughout the year so I stock up on them when the go cheap. I just wish they made one for 6V NIMH applications, I would be first in line for one.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:23 AM
joel_jones
My Feedback: (111)

i own a hobby shop.. i give 1 every time i sell a plane.. best thing u can do.. it really works..

smoke on!
Old 10-16-2004, 11:09 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Maxx products now has switch/charge/voltmeter switch now available. about twenty bucks. Has it all built right into the switch. Pretty slick!!!
Old 10-16-2004, 12:07 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put them in most of mine. They work great and give good peace of mind and early warning if things are bad.

On my giant scale stuff with the lipos at 6V I use the I4C digital meters.

http://www.i4cproducts.com/r_c_applicaltions.htm

http://www.i4cproducts.com/c-volt.htm

A bit more expensive but on a $2000+ plane it's well worth it.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:02 PM
MeanMustang

I've had good experiences with this product too. I have a Dubro kwik charge switch on one of my planes and on one trip to the field, I had to swerve pretty shraply to avoid an accident. Needless to say, the poor plane at the back of my car was flung onto its side and caused the switch to be pushed into the on position. The batt was draining all the way to the field and lucky for me, I noticed that the voltwatch only had one green LED on by the time I had the plane ready for flight. However, on very bright days, it can be a little difficult to see so its best to cup your hands over it to give it some shade.

I believe they have a similar gizmo with an "alarm" feature that sounds when the plane crashes or when signal is lost? Anyone knows what its called?