Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Dremel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2001, 04:57 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dremel?

I was at Home Depot today picking up some lights for my new workbench and stumbled across a huge stack of Dremel tools. (Funny how much time you can waste in a place like Home Depot and there is always something else you would love to just buy!)

The model numbers were:

3964-01 - $74
3961-01 - $60

I went and had a look on the Dremel web site:

http://www.dremel.com/

but could not find these model numbers mentioned. The closest I found was 3962-01.

I have heard these tools were good to use in R/C model building, but was wondering if anybody could suggest which is the best model to buy for this purpose?

Any other comments on using a Dremel in R/C building?
Old 12-09-2001, 05:03 AM
Nathan
Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dremel?

After having experience borrowing others several times, I made the plunge. Best tool in the workshop, bar none!

I've got the digital variable speed Dremel, and love every bit of it! Best investment in R/C I've made. It's amazing what you'll find to use it for, and you'll wonder how you ever did without it.
Old 12-09-2001, 05:45 AM
maverick

Default Dremel?

You don't happen to have a model number handy do you?
Old 12-09-2001, 05:58 AM
Nathan
Administrator

Default Dremel?

I bought Model #3981-01

If one of the one's you're talking about above is the 6 speed Dremel. You'll like that one too. That's the one I borrowed all the time.
Old 12-09-2001, 07:42 AM
RGM
My Feedback: (5)

Default Dremel?

PI is right. Take the plunge. You won't regret it. You'll be usin' it a lot. Even the old constant speed models found a multitude of uses in the shop. Like all tools, just show it some respect when in use. It works just as well or better on fingers as it does on balsa and plywood.
Old 12-09-2001, 03:04 PM
cascar38

Default Dremel?

Yes, this is a must have tool if you get very deep into this hobby.
Right after the G.P. Slot Machine.

dj
Old 12-09-2001, 05:01 PM
maverick

Default Dremel?

Well I already have the slot machine, so I guess the Dremel is next!
Old 12-10-2001, 04:33 AM
maverick

Default I did it!

I had to go back to Home Depot today to exchange some lights that weren't bright enough. Well you can probably guess what happened. I walked past the stack of Dremel boxes one too many times and the damn thing just jumped into my cart.

Luckily it was the variable speed with 2 attachments and 72 accessories, with a plastic box to hold it all, that jumped into the cart.

Just the one I wanted too! I wonder how it knew.
Old 12-10-2001, 04:59 AM
Nathan
Administrator

Default Re: I did it!

Originally posted by maverick
I had to go back to Home Depot today to exchange some lights that weren't bright enough.
yyyyeeeaaaah, likely story. Is that kinda like telling your wife you'll watch that chick flick with her but you just have to bring the drill back to the workshop before you forget, and you end up covering an airplane?

Or how about this... you tell your wife you got the wrong size screws and have to make a quick trip to the hobby store, only to return without the screws but with a new airplane?

You won't regret it! Now... about that drill press you've got your eye on... hehe
Old 12-23-2001, 06:59 PM
GloFuelAV8
My Feedback: (1)

Default Good Deal from Dremel Company!

Dremel has a replacement policy in effect that allows anyone to send them "any one" of there roto tools working or not, whole or in pieces to them in I think it's Racine Wisconson, with $32.00 and they will replace it with the latest variable speed tool they make and return it via priority mail. This replacement is not the Digital model and it does not include any cutting tools or burrs but is still a great deal. I contacted them for parts for one of mine and was told of their offer and I took them up on it instead of repairing mine. I am very happy with the result. Just a thought to any of you who may be keeping a dead one lying around for you to cannibalize parts off of.
Old 01-05-2002, 04:10 PM
STUKA BARRY

Default DREMEL, THE TOOL OF CHAMPIONS

IN MY 20 YEARS OF RC'ING MY ROTOR TOOL GETS THE MOST USE. I'VE WORN OUT THREE OF THEM. MY NEWEST ONE IS A SEARS VARIABLE SPEED. I CANT BUILD WITHOUT ONE. I EVEN CUT THE EXHAUST MUFFLER BOLTS OFF MY DODGE VAN WITH IT. I EVEN USED ONE OF THE BAD ONES AS A HAMMER. NOT RECOMMENDED, BUT WORKED AT THE TIME. DEFINATELY MY NEXT ONE WILL BE CORDLESS. HOME DEPOT IS CLOSER AND CHEAPER THAN THE HOBBY SHOP, BUT HOME DEPOT DOES'NT SELL ZAP OR KICKER. BUMMER!
Old 01-05-2002, 06:14 PM
jetmex-RCU
My Feedback: (8)

Default Dremels

I got lucky this year, my wife bought me one for Christmas. Been grinding and sanding on everything in sight except for the model airplanes--that'll come next week! Kids and their toys......
Old 01-07-2002, 02:04 PM
Gastronom-RCU
Banned
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: Re: I did it!

Originally posted by Plane Insane

yyyyeeeaaaah, likely story. Is that kinda like telling your wife you'll watch that chick flick with her but you just have to bring the drill back to the workshop before you forget, and you end up covering an airplane?

Or how about this... you tell your wife you got the wrong size screws and have to make a quick trip to the hobby store, only to return without the screws but with a new airplane?

You won't regret it! Now... about that drill press you've got your eye on... hehe
Hey I got a hell of a deal from the Homier people.
http://www.homier.com/
These people go around selling cheaper tools. I got my drill press for 29.99. If you order online you wil hae to pay shipping or I think you can get on an email list that informs you when they come to your city or whatever.
Mu drill press is excelent.
Old 01-19-2002, 11:42 PM
murphy
My Feedback: (19)

Default IF you got a Dremel, You Have to have a ZIP-BIT

The most used tool on my bench is my Dremel,,,, and the most used bit for it has to be the Zip-Bit!!! It's a 1/8 inch frill bit that bores its own hole, then it's flutes are ground in such a manner that it cuts sideways,,,,, like a rotary jig saw,,,,, gotta love this bit!!!
Also it's fantastic for gouging out styrofoam, like for servos, receivers, spars, etc, ( I build Zagis for the LHS, and =would be lost without this tool and bit)!!!!!!
Old 01-21-2002, 05:14 AM
maverick

Default Dremel?

I just finished my World-Models P-51 and without the dremel would have had a very hard time cutting out the fibreglass cowl! It made what could have been a very difficult job quite easy.

It is now one of the first power tools I think of when trying to find a solution to some problem!
Old 01-21-2002, 08:21 AM
mefly2
My Feedback: (6)

Default Dremel

I love my Dremel. I'm still waiting for gas-powered version to come out (or would that be too much?)!
Old 01-21-2002, 11:36 PM
thompsrc

Default Dremel?

No need. Just attach a chuck to one of those turbines turning 150,000 rpm.
Old 01-24-2002, 12:20 PM
razorback11
My Feedback: (9)

Default Dremel tool

I have one of the dremel tools in my shop that has the long flexable shaft on it and it has come to my rescue hundreds of times. I can get that thing in places the regular dremel will not go. Great tools those Dremels. Razorback11
Old 01-24-2002, 04:07 PM
STUKA BARRY

Default DREMEL TOOL ATTACHMENT

HEY MURPHY, WHERE DO YOU GET A ZIP BIT? I NEVER HEARD OF IT, AND AM VERY INTERESTED IN WHAT IT CAN DO FOR ME. MAKING THIS HOBBY(?) AS EASY AS POSSIBLE IS A BIG PLUS.
Old 01-27-2002, 01:55 AM
karben

Default Re: Dremel?

Originally posted by maverick
I was at Home Depot today picking up some lights for my new workbench and stumbled across a huge stack of Dremel tools. (Funny how much time you can waste in a place like Home Depot and there is always something else you would love to just buy!)

The model numbers were:

3964-01 - $74
3961-01 - $60

I went and had a look on the Dremel web site:

http://www.dremel.com/

but could not find these model numbers mentioned. The closest I found was 3962-01.

I have heard these tools were good to use in R/C model building, but was wondering if anybody could suggest which is the best model to buy for this purpose?

Any other comments on using a Dremel in R/C building?
I just purchased a dremel for RC work and was informed by a BIG RC SHOP that I would have been better off buying the Craftsman tool as it was the better tool.. They had several sitting around their shop and I was very impressed by the Craftsman tool and would bet it is built by Dremel, I liked it better than the Dremel I had recently purchased.. My guess would be that the price might be a little better also..
Old 01-27-2002, 02:49 AM
Bruce L Prater

Default Dremel?

Wal-Mart and Home Depot have Zip bits, either with the Dremel stuff or with the RotoZip tool, they had the bits first.
Old 01-28-2002, 12:54 AM
Xcell_n_Gr

Default Dremel?

lol...Yup...Dremel...

I never sit at the workbench without it..

i am currently on my 3rd unit..first was a single speed..then the cordless minimite (which i still have and use).....and now the Pro

i just burned out the controller on my Digital Professional Series model..sheeezz..

but i guess it sees alot of use..i actually sanded/buffed/polished the aluminum frame on my motorcycle with it..non stop 25-30k RPM for 4 hours,..now it only has 1 speed...MAXIMUM!!..

good 'ol Dremel..
Old 01-28-2002, 02:14 AM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Default Dremel

I had one for years and it finally gave way. While looking for a new one I stumbled on a Ryobi at $11.99 clearance about four years ago. Bits and tools are interchangeable. No matter what brand you have this type of tool is a must in this hobby. Welcome Lion, glad to see your here.
Old 01-28-2002, 03:54 PM
bolar-RCU

Default Dremel

Hey Gastronom, thanks for that Homier link. Definitely buyer beware, but they have some interesting tools and prices .

My Dremel is a Sears variable speed. I bought it reconditioned for $25. Been working fine for about eight years now . I also have the Dremel flex shaft which I highly recommend.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:07 AM
highflyer353535
My Feedback: (3)

Default Dremel?

HI.. GUYS.I AM A LUCKY MAN.. MY WIFE WORKS FOR HOME DEPOT...I GET ALOT OF GREAT DEALS ON TOOLS OH BOY.. I TOO CANT LIVE WITHOUT THE DREMEL THATS FOR SURE..I HAVE A CORDLESS DREMEL AND ALSO HAVE THE BLACK AND DECKER RTX IT CAME WITH THE CASE ABOUT 1OO BITS LOADS OF SANDING DRUMS FLEXIBLE SHAFT..AND OF COURSE AT A GREAT PRICE..LETS JUST SAY IT PAYS TO HAVE A WIFE THAT WORKS FOR HOME DEPOT LOL LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.