Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Airbrushing vs Paint Can Spraying

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Airbrushing vs Paint Can Spraying

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 11:55 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airbrushing vs Paint Can Spraying

OK, here is probably one of those universal questions.

Inspite of myself I finally ended up doing my own painting on a giant scale cowl using Lustrekote paint cans and following all their "tips" to the letter. I really surprised myself and a clear coated painted and monokoted cowl came out really nice looking. BUT , my question is - Should I invest in the cost of even a simple (read that lowcost) airbrush setup because it will do an even better job, or just as good a job with less work?

Anyone care to comment. thanks.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Airbrushing vs Paint Can Spraying

In my opinion, painting is an art. Airbrushing is a slightly different art.

That said, I have learned enough of the painting art to spray a decent automobile, using a siphon gun. I have also sprayed some decent plastic parts, fiberglas parts, and in one instance sprayed a Cub stripe on masked-off Super Coverite, all with spray bombs. I'm confident enough to try spraying with a gun or a spray can.

That said, I'm thinking that if I want some airbrush work done, I'm going to contact an airbrush artist, and hire it done. That will save me the cost of the airbrush and the pain of the initial self-teaching.

If you want to be an airbrush artist, or you have that inclination to do it yourself, you'd have probably already purchased that airbrush. If not, I suggest you check around autobody shops and T-shirt shops and contact their airbrush artists. They might make you a good deal.

Just my opinion,
Dave Olson
Old 12-08-2004, 01:06 PM
splais

oh, thanks. thats what I wanted to hear. Quality-wise I was actually amazed at how good a job you can with with paint cans if you follow their instructions. You just got to get used to the idea it takes time to do it right.
Old 12-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Ed Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The disadvantage of spray cans is that the colour range is limited. With ones own spray equipment the selection of colours and type of paint is endless.

Ed S
Old 12-08-2004, 01:31 PM
gow589
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Once I started painting with automotive paint I never went back to cans. There is a world of difference in ease of painting and quality. I'll never paint out of a can again (or even hobby paints).

Gary
Old 12-08-2004, 02:03 PM
splais

gow589,

what equipment do you use for the painting.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:20 PM
gow589
My Feedback: (1)

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have better equipment now but I started with a cheap touch up gun from harbor freight and a roll around compressor. It has gotten me by for years. Harbor freight has a HPLV gun which when it on sale is quite cheap. I have painted a lot of things wth that and it has done fine. Do add the disposable filters though. As the compressor warms ithe air will creat moisture. It really is not an issue with cowlings and small things but it is a bigger issue when paintting a lot more volume (such as a car).

I am not going to kid you though, it is expensive. I typically use Centari (Dupont) which requires a catalist and thinner. It does add up pretty quickly. Pick a color you can paint other things with which helps defer some of the cost. The first time you paint with automotive paint you'll wonder why you ever picked up a can. It dries hard so you can handle it the next day which is nice too.

On the flip side, many people I know swear by rustoleum. It may be an alternative. If you chose to go with Centari, let me know I'll help you as much as I can.

Gary
Old 12-09-2004, 08:05 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

splais, the problem with air brushes is volume. They are great for doing T-shirts and small plastic models, but most airbrushes, except for the big-buck commercial versions, don't put out enough paint to do the larger pieces/parts we normally have.

I have one that I used to paint helicopter canopies with. Using automotive lacquer, I really had to hustle to avoid color variations, since the lacquer dries so fast. And you have to thin your paint to the consistency of water, especially on an internal-mix brush.

I'm looking right now for suitable rattle can colors to do a Kougar cowl. Using spray gear is a major PITA , when you consider set-up and cleaning; which must be done for each color. Having a dedicated area for this makes life easier. But if you have to do it in the back forty, as I must, its a real hassle.

Another consideration is paint cost. Unless you have a contact, those automotive paints are horribly expensive; especially the required clear coat. And some of them are downright dangerous to use. Keep in mind, I'm speaking about paint that gives a professional, crystal-clear gloss look. I know the scale guys use other, less expensive and obnoxious stuff like latex, etc. But they use gasoline engines and don't worry about the corrosive effects of glow fuel; the nitro in which is the villain when it come to eating painted finishes.

So, consider my position. I have a small cowl and turtledeck to paint; four colors in all. I have a very nice airbrush and compressor set-up. But by the time I buy the paint (which entails going to a specialty place far off my beaten path, and paying through the nose for it) and set up for the job, I could have done it three times over with rattle cans. This is going to be a beater model; all that effort is just not worth it. In fact, I'll settle for a slight color mis-match to avoid dragging all that spray gear out. You're talking about HOURS to do it that way, by the time everything is properly cleaned and stowed. I simply do not have that kind of time, especially now that it is dark by the time I get home in the evening.

Having said all of that, proper spray equipment allows you to do it the way you want, in the color you want. But don't waste your time with an airbrush; get a detail gun.

And you're right; one can indeed get good results with rattle cans, if he is careful and patient.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, it is surprisingly easy to do some effects, like shading, with a spray gun. Also see www.howtoairbrush.com

Jim
Old 12-09-2004, 03:54 PM
sigrun

You won't get anything simpler, cheaper or easier to use than those cans, and with practise and artful diligence, they can result in a passable job. Only wish there had been something available anywhere near as good 35 years ago!

There is no such thing as a low cost airbrush setup - if you want a better result than those cans will offer you.

If you want a top result, then you need quality equipment, and something larger than an "airbrush" to achieve it. Cabinetmakers spray guns are ideal for our purpose, and you can buy some beauties from the likes of Iwata et al. But they ain't inexpensive and that's only the start.

For that good result you'll also need a compressor wih a tank, though the Chinese imports are quite inexpensive these days compared to yesteryear. With that you'll want a pressure gauge, water trap, fittings etc. Then protective breathng apparatus and an appropriate spray booth with ventilation if you care at all for your health, and that's before we get to the cost of materials, the nuisance of preparation and and loathsome task of...cleanup. And then there's the practise, skill and sheer bloody effort required to effect an result better than you can from a can!

Maybe the years have just dulled my enthusiasm, but these days I just stick with Monocote and cans if needed - and I have all the equipment including a top Badger airbrush and acessories for fine work and an Iwata precision spray gun capable of as perfect a job as possible. That said, I'd only be tempted to pull them out for a very, very, very special project. Not likely any time soon.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:43 PM
CafeenMan

Spray paint works fine if you can find the color you want and it's fuel proof. One trick is to put the can in warm water for about 10 minutes before spraying which makes the paint flow out a lot better.

As has been stated, airbrushes are for fine work. I have 5 and use them for my display models or small parts on my R/C models. I had a badger 150, but it started springing leaks all over after about 20 years. I just bought a gravity feed Campbell Hausfield gun from Home Depot and I like it A LOT better than the Badger.

Klass Kote has recently come out with colors that are supposedly close to primary colors (I don't have them yet, so just reporting what I've been told). What that means is you can mix any color. Previously all they had were "dirty" colors. For example, their yellow had a lot of red in it. If you want to make green, then you mix yellow and blue, but because the yellow has red, you ended up with all three colors which makes dirty green or possibly even brown.

Anyway, the point being that if you have the right paints you can mix not only any color you want in any quantity you want, but you can also reduce it to spray properly at your current climatic conditions. Some days you need more reducer and other days you need less. Spray cans are set with what they give you and they don't always spray properly.

Of course if you live in a place that has the conditions stated on the can on any day that you want to paint, then it's not a problem.

My advice is if you plan to paint a lot of planes then buy your own equipment. If you plan to paint the occasional cowl, then buy spray cans.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:50 PM
fearlessJOE

I watched this guy do an 18"x24" painting in 20 min in the middle of Jackson square, New Orleans. he is awesome!

www.spraycanart.com
Old 12-15-2004, 02:51 PM
splais

OK, because anything else was out of the question, I went ahead and used the Lustrekote spray cans to cover my 33% cowl. I followed all the tips from Lustrekote, took a couple of days. It came out spectacular with a three color job, actually amazed myself. It's cans for me.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:43 AM
warbirdcolors
My Feedback: (5)

Better than spray cans ----> www.warbirdcolors.com

water-based, fuel-proof, polyurathane
dries HARD, sprays, brushes, air-brushes, really well