Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Monokote matching paint >

Monokote matching paint

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Monokote matching paint

Old 09-09-2002, 08:25 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monokote matching paint

Found a place that custom mixes PPG Concept catalyzed urethane to match Monokote colors. I am inquiring if they can match Ultracoat also.

http://www.radiosouthrc.com/r_c_flying_colors.htm

Vince
Old 09-09-2002, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need to "inquire" about ultracoat, they say in their description that they match both monokote and ultracoat. Regards.
Old 09-10-2002, 01:49 AM
My Feedback: (5)

See if they can do anything with the Neon colors. I have yet to find a Neon paint that lasts.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:00 PM
My Feedback: (13)

I had the folks at PPG match over thirty color samples of Monokote and Ultracote a while back. The information is posted at http://www.rcfaq.com (search for PPG). With this info, you can go to your nearest PPG dealer and buy the paint direct.
Moot
Old 09-11-2002, 04:15 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Default paint matching

Sorry folks but unless you send a sample of the covering that you are using all the paint companies in the world will not be able to match your color...It's called dye lots and there all different...even the covering Mfg. run into this problem..Try it go to a hobby shop near you then go to one the other side of town and try to buy a matching roll of covering.
The solution take your covering to your local paint shop and have them color match it
Art
Old 09-12-2002, 12:16 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cyclonejack2002 is right on. I took a piece of green Ultracoat to the local PPG dealer for a color match, which they did for free. They wanted $60 for a pint of paint, plus more $ for activator, and reducer. A pint is the smallest they will mix.

I then called Tony at Radio South and told him I had already got the mix numbers for the green I needed. He said he would not use them to guarantee a match, and to send in a piece of the covering with the order. The scanner just gets close, it takes an experienced eye to get the color exact.

Vince