Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Which to use? Epoxy or Poly. Resin >

Which to use? Epoxy or Poly. Resin

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Which to use? Epoxy or Poly. Resin

Old 09-19-2002, 10:31 AM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which to use? Epoxy or Poly. Resin

I have one of those cheap Lenier ARF sea planes made mostly of plastic, the fuse is all plastic and cracks . I am going to Glass the whole thing but wanted to know what the best resin to use, Epoxy or Poly, to stick to the plastic.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default glass

I would use epoxy though I personally prefer poly as I have had a lot of experience working with it at the boat factory. The reson I would go Epoxy it because polyester resin generates a lot of heat and over plastic may react with it. Or you could use Polyurethane to glass with which is just as good as epoxy and I use that to glass all my planes. Epoxy is just too expensive and polyurethane gives a lot harder surface.

Joe
Old 09-19-2002, 02:29 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe, polyurethane what? Resin? Paint? I haven't heard of this (that's not surprising though) but it sounds intriguing. Is it lighter than epoxy? What about the stink? Give us the 411.

Bob
Old 09-19-2002, 02:44 PM
TRP
My Feedback: (1)

Poly resin will attack foam. I learned that the hard way

Ted
Old 09-19-2002, 05:25 PM

Default poly

Hi Bob Polyurethatne the clear finish they use on wood etc. check out the article here on my site abt glassing with it. it is the newest wave in glassing in rc a lot of people use it now a days and therre is laquer based which I loke using but is stinky and there is water based. http://home.mchsi.com/~jahuntley/help.html

Joe
Old 09-19-2002, 10:25 PM

Default Glass

Thanks Joe for the great info, Have you ever used the Polyurethane on ABS type plastics for cowlings ? thats what the entire fuse of this bird is, I think the Polyester Resin is out because of heat, it imagine it could melt this thin stuff. I have also use CA to glass center sections but I don't see doing an entire plane.
Old 09-19-2002, 10:33 PM

Default polyurethane

Yes be sure and sand it real good first with like 220 to cut the glaze off it. I use this a lot when doing some of the small kits for people that have a lot of ABS fairings and stuff.

Joe
Old 09-20-2002, 04:09 AM

Default Polyurethane

What is the best covering or paint to use on polyurathane , I was hopinh to use some rustolium . Thanks Dave
Old 09-20-2002, 04:13 AM

Default paint

Most anything should work I use nelsons water based most of the time but have used spray cans before. it would be best to get a scrap board and coat it with ployu and test on that first.

Joe
Old 09-20-2002, 05:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The most important finishing item on the Lanier Seabird arf is to put a big arse engine in that puppy. With a .40 sized engine, it will be nothing more than a fairly fast boat. Don't ask me how I know. But trust me...I DO! Try swimming 100 yards while the tide is going out and taking your seabird with it. Definitely rig up some splash guards too. I used pvc weld and sillycone to waterproof mine. Might want to reinforce the wing mounting block areas also.
Has ayone else had experience with this albatros?
Old 09-20-2002, 05:56 AM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Joe

Great info on poly for glassing

I wonder if polyurethane is strong enough to be used for glassing turbine jet wings. What do you think? Seems like it's easier to use then Polyester resin.

Mike
Old 09-20-2002, 08:00 AM

Default glassing turbines

I cannot say for sure as I usually build Giant scale WWII Warbirds and dont stress them like you would with jets. I fly mine scale and it seems planty strong enough. this stuff I use is laquer based and thin as water so it soaks into the wood good creating a bond from the balsa to the glass. Whereas epoxy would stick to the top of the wood being thicker rather than soak in. Polyester resin is in between it soaks into the wood fairly well giving the wood to cloth bond. (now not saying epoxy wont but most of the epoxy just sits on the wood because it is thicker doesnt soak thoroughly into the wood) All I can say is you might want to build another plane first and test it for your needs. I would hate to say yes without knowing that much abt turbines and have you have a mishap with an expensive engine. Below is a list of some of the planes I have used this with:

Ziroli (hehe i have built almost all of Nicks Planes But these are the ones I have used the poly U with)

P-40
Dauntless
P-38
Dr-I (used it to strengthen the cloth covering)
Corsair

Also used it on Dave Splatt spit
top flight Dc-3

and going to use it on my 118" Ziroli B-25, Avonds F-14 (twin Dynamax units) and Ziroli Panther when I do them this winter

so I trust the stuff but then I only fly scale and dont rip up the skies adding a lot of stress to my wings.

Hope this answers your question
Joe
Old 09-20-2002, 05:47 PM
DrV
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Joe, Very informative and helpful.

I'll have to talk to some Jet guys about that too.

Thanks again

Mike