Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Windex Sprayer >

Windex Sprayer

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Windex Sprayer

Old 09-27-2002, 02:25 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windex Sprayer

I've been looking all over for a 'Spray Mate' type of sprayer. This is the kind that has the thin fluid tank and the roll of paper towels fits over it.

Somebody at our field said they found one at our local Big Lots for about $2, but I searched the aisles there and the clerk I asked acted like he had no idea what I was talking about. Maybe I was at the wrong place. Does anyone know of a local chain store that would carry something like this? I'd like to get one, but not $15-like...

Karl
Old 09-27-2002, 07:14 AM

Default Windex Sprayer

Hey Karl,

My local hobby shop had them some time ago. I bought one and used it with limited success. The bottom of the bottle was not flat, so it wouldn't stay put; plus the thing leaked around the screw top.

Maybe I just got a bad one. Anyway, next time I'm in there (Abernathy's Northwest Hobbies - Bellevue, WA) I'll see if he still has them.

John
Old 09-27-2002, 11:01 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Default Spray Mate

John:

The one I got has the same characteristics as yours. I made a square base from 1/4 ply and used industrial velcro to attach the spray bottle. Keeps it from tipping so the leak at the top isn't an issue.

Looks like there has been a "re-engineering" on this bottle as the LHS has some new ones with a blue spray head rather than the red spray head. This has apparently fixed the leaking top (the spray head actually screws on tight) but the ones I looked at still had the "not quite flat" bottom.

I like mine however and since it doesn't tip over any more it doesn't leak.

Dan
Old 09-27-2002, 03:11 PM

Default Windex Sprayer

Dan:

Some good ideas there. I ended up attaching my paper towels to the field box, and going with a smaller spray bottle.

The original concept for the product was fine; your fix (and maybe their subsequent "re-engineering") makes it better.

Regards,

John
Old 09-27-2002, 03:42 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windex Sprayer

I'll have to "ditto" Dan's remarks about my "SprayMate". It leaks around the top and leaks into the car every time it tips over. Which given its less than flat bottom and high CG is often. Next, The threads failed and I had to do surgery to get the top back on. And, the elastic that holds the end of the towels down didn't last very long. In short -- I haven't been too happy with mine.

I've recently switched to using Dirtex for my cleanup and since it's in an aerosol can my SprayMate has become a place for the paper towels. If I ever turn that big rolling tool box into a flight box I guess I'll just put a paper towel bar on it and be done with this problem.
Old 09-27-2002, 03:46 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windex Sprayer

John (Greyhawk),

Since we are nearly neighbors send me an email or a PM and we can talk flying. Do you fly at Marymoor?