Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

bubble wrap

Old 09-27-2002, 09:54 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bubble wrap

Has anyone used bubble wrap around a receiver and then crashed. If so, did it hold up and protect the receiver? I am tempted to use it, the material comes in a lot of my shipments and might be a good replacement for foam, but I sure don't want it to collapse in a crash. What do you think?
Old 09-28-2002, 02:53 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Default bubble wrap

Years ago when I was flying sailplanes I used bubble wrap and foam around my receivers. Some hobby company was marketing packages of the combination for that purpose. One day I caught a beautiful thermal and soared to a very high altitude. Later I found that all the bubbles had popped! I don't know exactly what altitude would be the limit for this material and the stuff survived other flights that did not get so high.

It's probably not a problem for most sport flying but something to keep in mind if you fly anything that can ride a thermal.
Old 09-29-2002, 12:25 AM
2lo
My Feedback: (4)

Default bubble wrap

from first hand experience, yes.
two layers for batterys. saved my electrics.
also wrap my ignition box for gasser when its in the cowl with the foil version to help repel heat. found in the insulation dept. at the hardware store, had some scraps left over from insulating air ducts in my attic.