Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

VACUUM FORMING IDEAS

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

VACUUM FORMING IDEAS

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 11:13 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats a huge canopy,good news about the plaster did you use a sealer over the plaster I have done reverse molds as a form to make parts and sealed them with oil based polyurathane so I could use wax as a release agent it took several coats before i got a smooth surface and the poly stopped soaking into the plaster obviously vac forming is a different animal I have been watching this thread for years and I am now eager to give it a try
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FW190 A8 210.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	1971520   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW190 A8 215.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	1971521   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW190 A8 226.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	1971523  

Last edited by bigtim; 02-23-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:29 PM
acerc

I did not use a sealer and don't on other parts. The PoP has a glass smooth finish and the plastics do not have any adverse effect with the PoP. I even glassed over that PoP mold to make the frame and the PoP is still glass smooth.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:02 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I made a mold from Durabond 90 or something like that for drywalling. It was there and looked like something to try. I painted it with three coats of enamel paint that was also lying around. I went to try it with a pop bottle and it just shrivelled up, so I can't say it was successful. I will get the right material some day though. The pop bottle plastic will use a different method. I think the powdered drywall compound will work though.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:05 PM
tunakuts3d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try looking for ULTRA-CAL 30 a US gypsum product. one source is http://www.reynoldsam.com/p92/USG-Gy...ter/pages.html
Old 02-23-2014, 08:10 PM
bigtim

Originally Posted by aspeed
I made a mold from Durabond 90 or something like that for drywalling. It was there and looked like something to try. I painted it with three coats of enamel paint that was also lying around. I went to try it with a pop bottle and it just shrivelled up, so I can't say it was successful. I will get the right material some day though. The pop bottle plastic will use a different method. I think the powdered drywall compound will work though.
one reason I have faith in the Plaster of Paris is when its cured the stuff is like granite, drywall mud even the powdered type is a little bit on the soft side I use it all the time for work so I am really familiar with it the stuff has a tendency to crumble when any stress is put on it when its in larger chunks it also shrinks as its drying plaster seems to not shrink out as it cures, its why I thought it might make a good mold.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:44 AM
aspeed

I found the mixing powder type of drywall doesn't shrink, noticeably anyway. Don't know if it is strong enough yet. I hope it works because the original canopy I took it from has been compromised since then. I use it for a first coat on the drywall because of the low shrink and it dries faster of course.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:45 AM
bigtim

please post your results I have piles of the SHEETROCK brand hot mud in my garage
Old 02-24-2014, 09:04 AM
aspeed

It may be a year or three, I have a shop to build and a move ahead of me. I think it will be strong enough though.