Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

ADVICE NEEDED ON PAINTING MY GP F-14

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

ADVICE NEEDED ON PAINTING MY GP F-14

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Warbird Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADVICE NEEDED ON PAINTING MY GP F-14

I just recently purchased a Great Planes F-14 Tomcat from a LHS. Because I'm new to RC Airplanes this year and not ready to take on building from a kit, I've had to rely on ARF's and pre-built planes, especially since this kit has been discontinued. I was told the builder of this Tomcat worked or owned an auto body shop and that it has been been flown. It appears that the wing is covered in balsa and sheeted with glass. The fuse seems to be all balsa and plywood. The builder did the plane in a camo paint scheme that I didn't care for and so my plan from the start was to re-paint the entire bird into a more scale scheme.

After preping and sanding the existing scheme off, I primed the entire plane with a Rustoleum Professional Primer. I had to use Enamel because I couldn't tell what kind of paint the builder used and I was told Enamel would work even if the builder used a Lacquer paint. I have primed it, let it cure, sanded it and put a second coat of primer on it. The second coat is curing and once I have some more time, I plan to finish sand it, do one more light coat of primer if needed and then ready it for a final paint job.

My question is this: I'm going to run an O.S. 91 FX with 15% Nitro. I have spent hours reading the threads trying to narrow down what kind of paint to put on it that's fuel proof, but unless I missed it, I can't seem to get a definitive answer to the question. I don't have any spray equipment or a compressor, but I have reached the conclusion that I may have to invest in a detail sprayer and borrow a compressor to do an entire plane. My wife will probably kill me if I spend more money on RC stuff. I think it would be nice to use a rattle can, but most threads don't give the rattle can a shot at producing a high quality finish.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me???? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37771.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	353601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50960.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	353602  
Old 11-13-2005, 02:49 PM
FallDownGoBoom
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: ADVICE NEEDED ON PAINTING MY GP F-14

The majority of the forum threads indicate that Rustoleum enamel is fuel proof, especially if you let it cure for a week before exposing it to high nitro content fuel. I used it on my Bronco, didn't seem to have any problems.

As for a rattle spray can finish, I'd agree that achieving a totally professional finish is near to impossible. Which leads to the question: how good a finish do you need? If you're pointing at Top Gun, it probably takes the compressor, paint gun, and air brush equipment. On the other hand, if all you want to do is have a reasonable looking finish, you can probably get that with a spray can, 400/800/1200 grit wet sanding, rubbing compound, and a lot of patience.

Also bear in mind: up close you'll see every flaw; while at the end of the flight line, the plane will be large areas of gray, white, black, whatever. And if you can see the paint details when that F-14's flying by, you're in a different league than most of us.

Old 11-13-2005, 04:09 PM
iaclmac

Default RE: ADVICE NEEDED ON PAINTING MY GP F-14

You do have an interesting problem as to which finish system to use.

You have already been told about rustoleum. It is an ok system. However it does seem to take longer to dry. It is during that time where dust can settle on your finish. It is a small drawback as far as I am concerned.

There are 2 others you can consider. The first is going back to the basics ... good old fashion dope. That is definately fuel proof. I like the Sig dopes. There are lots of colors and I am sure you can find what you are loking for.

The other system would be Latex or poly acrylic waterbourne paints. The advantage here is that your local home do-it center can mix whatever color you want. They can even match a color off of a sample that you bring in. The key here is that latex is NOT fuelproof. You will have to top coat with Minwax Poly-crylic. Now you can get that is satin or gloss.

The rattle can idea is ok for most finishes (unless you are talking competition). However, how many cans are you going to use to paint that beast?? I would guess several. Then when you leverage the cost of the cans vs the cost of spray equipment, I think you will see it is better to spend more up front and achieve a cheaper per plane cost over future models.

In any case, I believe that the best results will come from using a HVLP spray gun and or airbrish (no matter what paints you spray). Yes it is a cost. However once you have acquired the tools, they will last a long time. You certainly will get your moneys worth.