Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

chisel

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 06:12 PM
bigchap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chisel

this has probably been done before but i'll post it anyway,i was building this evening and needed to cut a 1/2"x1/4" channel 6" long in some balsa,i do not have any wood chisels 1/2" wide so set to thinking how to do it,i got a piece of 1/2"x1/4" spruce,cut a chisel edge on it and used that instead,i was very pleased and surprised at the results i got,hope somebody finds it useful.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:33 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: chisel

When there is a need, the brain can do wonders

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 12-19-2005, 09:24 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great idea.

And you know what. If your "chisel" was long enough, you could glue a "cap" on it that was wide enough to keep it from digging in as it was cutting. You'd have a cross between a block plane a gouge and a chisel.

BTW, your idea can be expanded to special shapes. Cut out a strip of tin can and straighten the cutting edge. Tap it to fit the shape channel you need and press it into some end grain with glue. After the glue dries, trim away the end grain on the outside, and you have a stiffened gouge. It is deadly sharp however.

Also, btw, your idea works good to make shaped leading edges if you don't have the right size or shape. Only you make the tool to cut off the outside waste, not the inside waste.

good idea, thanks
Old 12-19-2005, 12:45 PM
bigchap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i surprise myself sometimes!i've always been a good bodger