Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Buyer beware !

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Buyer beware !

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 06:14 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Buyer beware !

Hi!
I did not understand the tank/engine position you described.
Do you have the engine side mounted or...?
Refering to what Bill said about the tank position "there are certain laws about tank installation you have to follow". True!!
Why not side mount the engine?? Tank installations becomes more easy if you do...
Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59093.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	375545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90422.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	375546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74813.jpg
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	375547  
Old 12-25-2005, 08:10 PM
RC-Captain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a pic of the engine mounted with the cowl on, and the pic is of the bottom of the plane . So turn your head to the left and you will understand the position. or rotate the pic to the right and the same result will occur.

The reason I can't mount it on the side is due to the construction an size of the engines mounting blocks.

If this doesn't help . TOWER HOBBIES is selling this plane and normally allows you to read the manual on line with accrobat reader .

One thing I have to say to back up my theory is , there is never any replacement fuselages available for this plane. I ordered a replacement fuselage and went back to try to order another one and they where back on backorder. GO FIGURE ! I know i am not the only one experiencing this problem and I wish more people would come forward in backing me up on what I believe is true. or some what true.

Name:	Ig13847.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	375589  
Old 12-26-2005, 10:25 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jaka,

I find engine side mounting a convenient method of getting the carb to tank centerline correct which usually results in a clean installation.

RC-FIEND will probably go through several more rebuilds because he doesn’t want to cut the cowl to achieve the correct carb/tank relationship. Beauty over sound design consideration seems to be a universal problem.

Bill
Old 12-26-2005, 01:29 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Well if the motor mount is made of plastic..all you have to do is drill new holes in the firewall and mount blind nuts and mount the engine sideways...!

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden

Name:	Ec87316.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	375857  
Old 12-26-2005, 01:59 PM
RC-Captain

I wish thats all I would have to do , actually the engine mounts fit perfectly on the block made for the mount . Right now all I can do is turn the engine 180* and deal with it being mounted in this position.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:51 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Hey Bill and Jan, got a question for y'all. If you changed an engine from 12 o'clock to 8 o'clock, would you expect to have to readjust the high and low speed needles? If you did make such a change, without readjusting the needles, and found that the engine wasn't running right, especially in the midrange, would readjusting the needles be high up there on the list of things you'd do?
Old 12-26-2005, 05:54 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

I wish thats all I would have to do , actually the engine mounts fit perfectly on the block made for the mount . Right now all I can do is turn the engine 180* and deal with it being mounted in this position.
I think I considered this when I first assembled mine. I may be confused, but I think I found that I would need to run with a muffler extension to make it work. Plus having both the muffler and exhaust showing would really ruin the looks of the plane.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:14 PM
RC-Captain

Plus having both the muffler and exhaust showing would really ruin the looks of the plane.
I agree but crashing it makes it look the worse .
Old 12-26-2005, 07:00 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: RC-FIEND

Plus having both the muffler and exhaust showing would really ruin the looks of the plane.
I agree but crashing it makes it look the worse .
True, but think about how good you've become at repairs.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:02 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you changed an engine from 12 o'clock to 8 o'clock, would you expect to have to readjust the high and low speed needles?
You already know that there is no way in Hades that the tank/carb relationship can be changed without adjusting all needles.

Bill
Old 12-26-2005, 08:22 PM
RC-Captain

You already know that there is no way in Hades that the tank/carb relationship can be changed without adjusting all needles.
Well eat your heart out I have done it as far as not changing the low speed needle. High speed is a different story. [:-]
Old 12-26-2005, 09:01 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: BillS

you changed an engine from 12 o'clock to 8 o'clock, would you expect to have to readjust the high and low speed needles?
I know what my experience has taught me.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:24 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: BillS

Bill

There are those who seem to have great difficulty in understanding that needle settings are interrelated, let alone that the tank/carb relationship affects fuel pressure.

jess
Old 12-26-2005, 11:12 PM
RC-Captain

There are those who seem to have great difficulty in understanding that needle settings are interrelated, let alone that the tank/carb relationship affects fuel pressure.
There are those who don't follow a small groups advice because it's the majority , instead attempts to prove the theory wrong or right.

If you never had this problem how do you know the needle is the problem ? YOU can't know. Thanks all and I am done with this post .
Old 12-27-2005, 11:10 AM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

I don't know why you guys encourage this guy. The SPAD guys just quit responding to him and he went away...