Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
 Fiberglas and polyurethane covering >

Fiberglas and polyurethane covering

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Fiberglas and polyurethane covering

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 08:40 PM
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiberglas and polyurethane covering

For a great many years now I have been covering my airplanes with Dope and either silkspan or silk depending on the structure, open or sheeted. Recently I used Sig Koverall with good results. But with increasing age and the oders of dope and to keep peace in the home, I can't do any painting or covering during these New England winters. I read an article on covering sheeted structures using latex polyurethane and lightweight fiberglas cloth. This sounds promising and want to investigate it further. I would like any input on this from anyone who has used it before I try it on my Pica T-28. I am especally interested in ease of apllication, grain filling and sanding. I usually use Coverite 21st Cetury paint as a finnish coat. Is this compatable. Thanks for your help. Al
Old 01-16-2006, 09:02 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Fiberglas and polyurethane covering

Do a search for Minn Wax polycrillic. I think that this is the material of choice for glassing without using epoxy or dope.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:32 PM
My Feedback: (4)

I havn't used these Nelson paints in this link before and was looking for a good solution as well. Take a look at these if you havn't already seen them, They claim to cover with minimal coating and no dope, little to no odor, water thinnable, fuel proof. Supposed to be able to use them on Koverall as well without dope. Any way, thought it might be worth looking at.
[link=http://www.nelsonhobby.com/paint.html]Nelson Hobby Paint[/link]
Old 01-17-2006, 10:42 AM

I have been using glass fiber and water based polyurethane for several years. There is a brief 'how to' on my web page geocities.com/wisebrit.
I would suggest you do not use the Minwax brand WBPU as I have had very unpleasant experience with that product. I will not go into details, as last time I did that I was accused of bad mouthing a good company. Sufficient to say I now use the Varathane product.
I fill and finish with household latex or Rustoleum, then fuelproof with more Varathane WBPU.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:54 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go - a basic "How To" on glassing with polyurethane. I have also included a link to useing polyurethane with silkspan.

http://www.egpworld.com/ultrahobby/t...INGARTICLE.htm
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Rp44050.txt (2.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 01-18-2006, 07:47 AM
My Feedback: (76)

Thanks to All, this is a great help. Al
Old 01-18-2006, 10:05 AM

ORIGINAL: Digger44

I havn't used these Nelson paints in this link before and was looking for a good solution as well. Take a look at these if you havn't already seen them, They claim to cover with minimal coating and no dope, little to no odor, water thinnable, fuel proof. Supposed to be able to use them on Koverall as well without dope. Any way, thought it might be worth looking at.
[link=http://www.nelsonhobby.com/paint.html]Nelson Hobby Paint[/link]
I have a wing covered with the Nelson Lite-Fab. Four coats of color brushed on and wet sanded. It's ready for trim now. The fabric is like working SolarTex (it's from England, too)-very easy. The paint goes on with few brush marks, and sands well. Smells slightly wet, but you can't smell it at all a few feet away. I will finish the trim and spray clear for gloss. It looks expensive, but this 40 size wing used about 3 ounces of color for four coats! It goes forever..
Old 01-18-2006, 04:08 PM
My Feedback: (4)

I am concidering using Koverall With STIX and The Nelson paints, then a clear coat. I would like to see your results if you don't mind posting a picture.
Thanks,
Bob