Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Joining Split ailerons?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Joining Split ailerons?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 10:14 PM
s5lin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joining Split ailerons?

Hi,

I have a Great Planes Giant Big Stik ARF. I do not want to run the flap/aileron on each wing, I would rather have a one piece aileron. The instruction manual offers this option by using two servos per wing to drive the aileron and flap.

The other option the manual offers is to use two servos per wing and have the servos connected by y connectors to again drive two servos per aileron.

I would much rather just use one servo on each wing half. Thus I am contemplating joining the aileron flaps together as one aileron. My idea is to use thin CA to tack the ailerons together, then use fiberglass cloth on the top and bottom of the aileron to reinforce the joint.

I am open for suggestions as to any other method of joining the ailerons. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:15 AM
WCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Joining Split ailerons?

Cut the covering on the end of the aileron and the flap where it is to be joined. Use a piece of balsa as a shim to join the two together. Make sure the length is correct. Use CA to bond them together. Sand and re cover. You can use fiberglass if you want to. I done an Ultrastick like this and it worked fine.
Old 02-23-2006, 12:56 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Joining Split ailerons?

Don't bother. Just make the flap portion immovable.
Joining the two doubles the load on the servo.
The added inboard portion contributes little to the rolling moment because the center of the surface moves inboard.
The normal ailerons will be more effective as they are.