Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Need help - Warping Checkerboard

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Need help - Warping Checkerboard

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 12:23 PM
coloradoz
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help - Warping Checkerboard

Hello all, I didn't know where else to put this request so here goes. I would like to do a warped checkerboard and am needing some techinque help. I saw a post (can't remember where) a couple of weeks ago of a warped checkerboard in the shape of a birds wing - man this thing was way too cool! I would just like to know how to go about doing something like this. Looks like he did a basic design in Adobe or something like that - but there was nothing on "how-to".

I've been scouring the posts on RCG and RCU trying to find such a thing and have come up empty. There are a lot of good posts out there - but I haven't found anything that addresses how to do something like this. Can any of you creative artsy types help out?

TIA!
..AJ
Old 03-30-2006, 06:19 PM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Need help - Warping Checkerboard

Hello,

Check out this thread on how I mask to produce the checkerboard in my 0-1 Bird Dog...

This is how I do it:

1. Cover the checkerboard area with masking tape.
2. Draw the checkerboard lines.
3. With a sharp knife, remove the squares that will be black.
4. Burnish the edges with toothpick.
5. Paint the squares.

Once dry, carefully remove the mask and correct any fuzzy edges with a black finr tip marker.

I did this with wonderful result. DP
Old 03-30-2006, 06:20 PM
Dai Phan
My Feedback: (2)

Hello,

Here is the thread...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_25...tm.htm#2558803
Old 03-30-2006, 07:35 PM
coloradoz

Thanks for those links and all - nice checkering but that is not quite the kind of warping that I had in mind. The kind of checkering that i had envisioned would be the kind you would get from taking a standard checkerboard and mapping it to an arbitrary geometric shape - (kind of like from the first Terminator movie), except in only 2 dimensions.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:10 AM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

I think he is wanting something like this.

Recently I wanted to do the same thing but I had the same problem you are having... finding out how to do it.

It looks great but it seems to me if it isnt dont precisely it could come out looking strange.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28654.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	436448  
Old 03-31-2006, 10:32 AM
Stew99

Have you seen this thread?

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_712709/anchors_712709/mpage_1/key_flag/anchor/tm.htm#712709]How to make a flowing checkboard[/link]
Old 03-31-2006, 11:07 AM
coloradoz

Yes I have - useful thread, but not exactly what I'm after. Imagine the bottom of the plane with an outline of an eagle's wing - now imagine warping or morphing a checkerboard into that geometric shape. I saw a thread on RCU with this very design - but I can't remember where I saw it. It definately was not in a thread about checkerboarding and it looked like he/she used photoshop or similar graphics tool to help with the layout.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:57 AM
Stew99

One approach might be to create a 3D wire frame drawing in a CAD program. Rotate it to the viewing angle you want. Scale it to size and print it out. The grids could then be used as patterns to cut out the checkerboard pieces. There are techniques for assembling the pieces on glass and then apply it to the plane as one large piece.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:47 PM
bullseye000

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for. This is one of my latest, I did a checkerboard on the bottom of the wing. I used Adobe Illustrator and was able to envelope a checkerboard I laid out. You can also use Corel Draw. It's generally a lot cheaper if you search out a version that's a couple of revs behind like version 9 or 10. You can get pretty radical, I actually abandoned some of my earlier checks because they were a little too busy. The checks, logos, and lettering are all Monokote.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71617.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	440209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83574.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	440210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71078.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	440211  
Old 04-06-2006, 09:05 PM
coloradoz

Thanks - I think this is more like it - Using Illustrator, exactly how did you go about getting the checks you wanted.

TIA
..AJ
Old 04-07-2006, 08:42 AM
bullseye000

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I basically started by drawing a triangle and cutting into pieces until it was a triangle shaped checkerboard. Then I used the built in envelope tools to twist into shape. That one was a simple curve shape but you can do one that looks like a waving flag or even a fisheye shape. Illustrator is a bit pricey, like I said Corel may be a better choice for occasional use and it's had the envelope capabilities built in forever. The price is more reasonable too.