Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
 Metalworker Needs Help >

Metalworker Needs Help

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Metalworker Needs Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 09:51 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Metalworker Needs Help

I need to make a curved header for my 20 size engine with an oval exhaust port. Can anyone help me with whats involved, what materials to use, who to contact for welding, or bending? I can machine my own flange, I just need help with the tubing end of it. Its an old motor and nobody makes one I can buy or modify. I thought about buying a pre-made one and cutting off the flange but this leaves me short on size and in the pocket. I just think making one myself might be cheaper and have just as good of a result from a purchased one without too much trouble.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:10 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Metalworker Needs Help

Why not just buy a muffler that's close and strap it on?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:54 PM

its a boat engine and no room in the cockpit for one, it has to pass outside the side of the boat and accept a tuned pipe.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No idea on the welding part but for bending fill it with sand and seal it(so the sand won't fall out) The sand will stop it from kinking up when bending then open the ends and clean out the sand, I'm a machinist too and it's amazing how much I make instead of buying.

Dauntae
Old 05-11-2006, 03:52 AM

I stumbled on another method in my search. This one is like the sand method but the guy said to wad up some fiberglass as a plug and pour in hot lead, letting it cool and then bending it. Then when your done melt the lead again to get it out. But I haven't any lead pouring equipment I would have to see a plumber I guess if I wanted to go that route, and make two visits...one to fill it and another to use his torch to get it out. The sand method is still winning.

I looked into tube benders but most of them put a dent into pipe, I already know what the results are with those, plus it doesnt answer how I can blacksmith the end of the tubing to an oval shape.

Tomorrow I am going to check the phone book for places I could go to find old heater cores or transmission coolers that already have curves sections of light aluminum tubing. Maybe I can hack a piece out of one of those, then worry about how to shape the end.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68140.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	8.8 KB
ID:	459711  
Old 05-14-2006, 03:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that attachment looks just like a header for a tuned pipe to me,if you look hard enough you will be able to find something suitable.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:16 PM

Ive tried to get others to help measure me a header at online stores, I'm done asking.