Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

3/4" hole in Balsa? How?!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

3/4" hole in Balsa? How?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 08:35 AM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3/4" hole in Balsa? How?!

I need to drill some 3/4" holes in the elevator and rudder to put some dowels in as reinforcement for the control horns. Besides the old sharpened brass tube method, any good ideas.. I'm wondering if a Forstner bit will work. Just want to know if anyone else has had luck with them, they're $$$ for just drilling 3 holes.

thanks!
Old 08-27-2006, 09:14 AM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: 3/4" hole in Balsa? How?!

Draw the circle by whatever method you use - circle template, compass, etc. Use your #11 blade to cut close to the scribed line. Now use a drum sander on a Dremel tool, or a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a smaller dowel, say a 5/8", to enlarge the hole to the proper dimension.. This method will give you a very accurate hole to hand fit your dowels into. Remember, dowels are often not accurately made. Even a Forstner bit is too dull and will probably tear the soft balsa.

Dr.1
Old 08-27-2006, 09:42 AM
BWooster

I have tried a Forstner bit. Even though my set is very sharp it shredded the balsa beyond recognition.

You can buy 3/4" hole saws. That might work.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:00 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used large diameter end mills with four or more flutes. Chuck them up into a drill press, run as high RPM (2000+) as possible before tounching down to cut a hole. Sharp ones can be found at swap meets around here for about $2 each. Most often they are very accurate as to diameter, unless they have had their sides sharpened along the way. Other problem may be in that for a tight fit, your wooden dowels may not be all that accurate of a diameter.

Wm.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:15 AM
dmcmike

thanks all! Holes are in, dowels are in! Used a 3/4" tube, sharpened, rotated it by hand. Worked like a charm!
Old 08-27-2006, 04:45 PM
Rate1

Mcmike, what kit are you building? Myself was look for an answer to the same question. Thanks for clearing the ground for me. I need 1/2" holes for the very same reason on my Lanier kit.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:48 PM
dmcmike

I'm just finishing up a giant Aeromaster. Hopefully start covering, or at least get the first coat of dope on it later today.