Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Whats the best way to clean fuel soaked wood for covering?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Whats the best way to clean fuel soaked wood for covering?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 02:25 PM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best way to clean fuel soaked wood for covering?

I had to make some repairs to one of my profile planes and I discovered that fuel had gotten under the covering around the motor mount area and the wood is pretty well fuel soaked.
Does anyone know of a way to get the wood back to a point that it will allow new covering material to stick to it?
Old 10-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Phlip

Default RE: Whats the best way to clean fuel soaked wood for covering?

I've not done it, but I've heard K2R spotlifter applied repeatedly works. Search RCU for K2R and I'm sure you'll find MANY reports.

Good luck

Phil

Edit: added MANY after I actually searched K2R I see this question has been asked and answered lots of times!
Old 10-22-2006, 12:01 AM
Electriceddie

RTN9105,

You can try the sprinkling a little baking soda on the wood and with a folded paper towel over over the baking soda. Apply your monokote iron set as high as it will go and hold it on the paper towel. The heat absorbs the oil into the baking soda and paper towel. repeat several times changing the baking soda and paper towel. I have done this sveral times and it works with pretty good results.

Good Luck

PS - don't burn yourself while doing this.............

Ed
Old 10-22-2006, 12:52 AM
badger5964
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done the baking soda and iron, some solvents like MEK and it is still touch and go with monokote sticking.

Clean it first then give a coat of Sig stick-it. It is a paint on heat setting adhesive. This will keep it tight on the aircraft.

Good Luck
Scott
Old 10-22-2006, 07:44 AM
Dr1Driver

K2R is the best I've used, but it's sometimes hard to find. Soak the wood with K2R, let it dry, brush off and soak again. Repeat this until the K2R dries completely.

If the wood is soaked to the point of being soft, I would recommend replacing it.

Dr.1
Old 10-22-2006, 02:43 PM
rcted

Hi,

I've had real good luck using spray brake cleaner. It gets the oils out, and dries quickly. It's also a bargain at about $2.00 a can on sale. Spray it a couple of times, outside of course, and let it dry. Depending on how fuel soaked it is, you may need to use fome of the Coverite brush on adhesive to make it stick to the airframe. either way, let is sit for a few days to ensure the vapors have all evaporated before you cover it.

Ted
Old 10-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Ugo Ferrari
My Feedback: (1)

Bury the problem area in bucket of Cat Litter for a day or two and it will come out as dry as a bone ! I get the Cat Litter at the local "Dollar Store", Three pounds for a dollar !! It really works...

Ugo
Old 10-22-2006, 04:26 PM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
I found the K2R at the local hardware store so I'm giving it a try as I type this.

Ugo, that's a great idea, I never would've thought of doing that but it makes perfect sence. Now I'll have a couple of methods for the next time.

Thanks again
Old 10-23-2006, 02:53 AM
AERORICH73

Sorry I am a day late for getting on the site. I have gone through this problem, and found an
article on removing the oil, and it has worked very well for me. The process is a little messy, but works. Buy a small box of cornmeal and acetone. Position the soaked surface horizontal to
the floor, and using a spoon start putting the cornmeal in the middle of the area. Carefully move the cornmeal out to the very edge of the wood section to cover over the oil soaked area till you have about 3/8" of a layer. Using an eye dropper, begin to soak the cornmeal until the
acetone is soaked all of the cornmeal. Let it dry overnight, and scrap it off when dry into a waste container, and check to see how much oil in the wood is left. Depending on the amount of
oil soak, more than one time may be needed. The acetone will dissolve the oil and the cornmeal
will soak it up leaving the wood dry and clean. Depending on the amount of oil contamination of
the wood area, Balsarite coatings can be made over the area which will then allow covering to
stick again. I have used balsarite over my cornmeal cleaned surfaces to enhanse the attachment of the new covering to help prevent any further oil getting into the wood. I would
certainly make sure the engine mount area is still secure enough to prevent the firewall and
engine from coming loose from the fuselage. It is really important to give the engine compartment a good coat of epoxy during construction, or before flying if previously covered so
no wood oil contamination happens. Good luck with your flying after the covering job is done.

Rich S.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:46 AM
BillS

Once after everything else failed I woodpeckered the wood and epoxed 1/32†sheeting over the oil soaked wood. A skilled builder could have built several airplanes in the time spent repairing the fuselage.

Bill
Old 10-23-2006, 08:53 AM
Electriceddie

Ugo,

I can't help myself and I gotta ask!

" DO YOU EVER HAVE CATS CHASE YOUR AIRPLANE" ?

OR

"COME LOOKING FOR IT IN THE HOUSE OR GARAGE" ?

LOL.....

Just kidding....

Ed
Old 10-24-2006, 02:06 AM
AERORICH73

Electriceddie: Now that is funny. Really had quite a time choking up. Ya, kitty litter giving the
pet a new place to poop. I am going to run this joke past the local club members and my personal friends. Thanks for the humor.

Rich S.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:45 AM
RVM

Throw a bunch of baking soda on it and let it sit overnight or longer if necessary. This has worked really well for me.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:43 PM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ugo Ferrari

Bury the problem area in bucket of Cat Litter for a day or two and it will come out as dry as a bone ! I get the Cat Litter at the local "Dollar Store", Three pounds for a dollar !! It really works...

Ugo

Just make sure the cat dosen't see the bucket and get ideas[X(][X(]

PS: It does work and can also be used for you wing rubber bands.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:04 AM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

If the oil is really soaked in the wood it is very difficult to get out. Cornstarch, K2R, cornmeal, baby powder, & etc can be used but will only get some of the oil out. I tried the brake cleaner and carb cleaner and found it worked pretty well. After you get all you can get out with whatever method you use make sure you use some kind of sanding sealer or Balsarite. This will seal the oil in the wood to prevent the covering film from letting go. I have hear that Elmers Glue thinned down and painter on the wood will work well but I haven't tried this.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Ugo Ferrari
My Feedback: (1)

You're correct Michael ! forgot to mention, the cat litter is also in my rubber band container !
The bands last forever ! The guys think I'm cheap... Not me. I'm just Frugal !! LOL !
Ugo