Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

x acto users beware

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

x acto users beware

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 01:52 AM
timothy thompson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default x acto users beware

after 20 plus years of modeleing it happened a no 2 sharp blade into my thumb. all the way to the bone! my wife is an rn so she wrapped it up. bleeding stopped but the whole hand is sore. I have complete feeling and motor use so im not going to the er. well see about infection. hell ive got a corsair to build and we all know they would stich it up and put a cast on it so i couldnt move it/ got to watch it cause i fly with my thumbs and its the rt one for elev and aileron. uses super jet to close it up and she had a suture kit so i bit the pain and have a couple stitches in it.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:47 AM
SMUGator

Default RE: x acto users beware

Glad to hear that it's just a flesh wound. My last trip to the ER was the result of a lapse of judgement with a Dremel cut-off wheel. It does make a nice clean cut, though.

Heal soon and put your hand modeling contracts on hold!

Tom
Old 12-10-2006, 03:31 AM
neilt162

Did somthing similar. My Doctor got quite annoyed.Supplied me with a surgical scalpel and a dozen No. 1 blades. Gave me strict instructions on use and told me to get rid of my X acto knife. Well of course I ddn't get rid of the Xacto because each knife has its uses.

Glad you are on the mend, but shouldn't you have had stitches for such a deep wound? Have a Safe Christmas

Neil
Old 12-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OUCH!!!

I think most of us felt the wrath of an Xacto blade at one time or another.

Always keep in mind what can happen if you slip at what your doing when using cutting tools and don"t be in a hurry!

Last night I was installing a cowl and switching out drill bits back and forth in a cordless/key less chuck, when one didn't fall out and got stuck side ways in the chuck jaws. Sliced my hand open at the base of my thumb. Luckily it's still attached.

You can never be too careful.

(Injuries can cause serious building down time)

Too many planes to build - Not enough time
Old 12-10-2006, 10:28 AM
M_Callahan

Well I have a good x acto story.

Working on my first giant scale airplane, a Sig 1/4 scale cub, set x acto knife on building table,
worked on something else for a minute and went to pick up knife again. It was gone, nowhere
on bench? Steped back from bench and looked down at floor and found it. Sticking out of the top
of my shoe! Now, you'd think with the handle being so much heavier than the blade it would
never land point first, but it does. Best part is that it missed my toes. I just stood there and looked
at it for a minute amazed. Now I glue a 1/2" square piece of balsa around the top edge of my bench
to keep that from happening again.

Mike
Old 12-10-2006, 10:58 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

Had an Xacto roll off my building table, out of instinct I slapped my legs together and caught it - sideways - drove it into my thigh to the hilt! Carved on a plastic spinner, drove it to the hilt into the web of my hand - ouch! Only a few accidents over many years, but always as a result of either being tired, in a hurry, or using a cutting tool improperly. It pays to pay attention to what you're doing!
Sam
Old 12-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Flak

TT,
OK, you've been doin' it for 20 years, so I'll have some fun here.... "A stitch In Time Saves Nine" (Nine What?), "Cut To the Chase", "Owe, that Cuts Clear to the Bone", "If It Bleeds, We Can Kill It", "Thumbs Up", "Time to Cut A Rug", "He's a Real Cut Up", "Get the Point"?, I'm laughing so hard I'm in stitches here. OK, time for me to "Cut Out of Here"...Get on that Corsair and stay Sharp!
Old 12-10-2006, 11:34 AM
timothy thompson

my whole hand is sore but no signs of i nfection yet
Old 12-10-2006, 12:15 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Tim
I am sorry to hear about your accident and hope you heal up quickly [] But I am surprised it the first time in 20 years you've owned up to a bo bo with a knife Ive been modeling for 60 plus years, and I don't even want to think of my dumb stunts. So just be more care full Please

See yo over in the Corsair thread

Cheers Bob T
Old 12-10-2006, 01:09 PM
timothy thompson

thanks. took the tape off its not bleeding so I cad the slit shut. retaped. first sign of infection ill go to er but so far so good. i can still build but not as fast.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:02 PM
NCIS

Tim,

Sorry to hear of your pain. My kids threatened to take all my sharp tools away from me because I am always cutting up my fingers. Now I always look where they are and if the blade slips will they get cut. If the answer is yes I change my method. Only once to the bone. It was nasty. Heal quick and hope you feel better.

Gibbs
Old 12-10-2006, 05:15 PM
timothy thompson

thanks good idea
Old 12-10-2006, 05:39 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tim.
Keep a close check on it. ESPECIALLY, if you have not had a Tetnaus shot in maybe 5 years?
It will hurt because of moving the finger at night and day.

However, press the cut portion of the finger to the underside of your chin 2 times a day so you can feel the heat of a infection starting.

A red line starting at your cut finger and moving toward the wrist is Blood poisioning!!
A Doctor or ER room trip fast!!

Hope it is just pain during a normal cut recovery.

I long ago stopped cutting ANYTHING for ANY reason on my hand, chest or lap-legs, where a slip
meant a cut or gash.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:00 PM
voyager_663rd

ORIGINAL: cyclops2

I long ago stopped cutting ANYTHING for ANY reason on my hand, chest or lap-legs, where a slip
meant a cut or gash.
Oh yeah. Amazing how you don't want to cut something on the edge of the freezer (secondary table doncha know) for fear of dulling the blade but wouldn't hesitate to trim that piece 'o balsa on your knee.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:30 PM
neilt162

OUCH. My tummy turned over just thinking about catching a falling knife between my legs. Gosh you could damage the family jewels!! I now use my patented Knife Stop. It is a plastic wine bottle cork . Works like a charm, blades remain sharp and the knife s are not floating around in my tool tray or on the bench.

Cheers,
Neil
Old 12-11-2006, 01:34 AM
Mr67Stang

While I have never cut myself this badley I have done so frequently enough that I try to visualize the inevitable slip and avoid putting my fleshy parts in the path. However; stuff happens no matter the precautions. Hope you heal quickly.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:38 AM
viper1

How's this for a close call...

Cutting a nice, straight edge on a sheet of balsa, get the steel (long) ruler out, now push it down hard with one hand, so it doesn't slip, put the knife on one end and pull it along the ruler with the other hand in one go, next thing I know is 3 tiny caps from my finger tips laying next to the edge of the ruler, not bleeding, just the top layer of skin off.
Alway double check where both your hands are.....[X(]

Lucky I don't play piano
Old 12-11-2006, 07:54 AM
woodbutcher

DaddySam
That is one of the best shop "war" stories I've heard, catching that knife with your legs, OUCH !

After doing that dance, more than a couple of times, as the knife rolled of the table I've put a flap of tape on the end. No more rolling off but the excitement of "doing that dance" is gone
Old 12-11-2006, 08:21 AM
BOLTMAN

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a knife with a brand new blade roll off the bench, felt it brush along my leg on it's way to the floor. Thought mmmmm...... That could have hurt, picked up the knife & kept working.

Shortly after I noticed a slippery & wet feeling under my foot. Looked down to see blood everywhere.[X(][X(][X(]

That "brush" down my leg had left a cut about 4" long. Nice sharp blade & I barely felt a thing!!!!

Cheers
Old 12-11-2006, 10:12 AM
timothy thompson

monday im at school teaching thumb is ok not swollen. well keep on hoping. whole hand is sore though so thats interesting all the nerves are connected in there! i started a sander and dremel horror stories post also! flacks got quite the personality doesnt he
Old 12-11-2006, 11:42 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

If the blade in fact hit the bone as you indicated, it will be painful for a while. Good luck in your healing process.

This thread is so funny. I am still LMAO thinking about catching the xacto in between the legs, I am glad it was someone else. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person.....
Old 12-11-2006, 12:12 PM
prop wash

Tim,if you really want to be safe stop modeling all together.Right!!!Ive drilled my fingers,burned them cut them,finnished planes with blood soaked into the balsa,and I'm still building.My wife asks me everytime she hears a groan or "ouch" if I have blessed the project.My grandson just sits back and wonders if I have enough blood.Heal fast Tim.[:@]ouch
Old 12-11-2006, 12:27 PM
timothy thompson

well i tape it up and continue !
Old 12-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Flak

Timothy Thompson,
I really do feel your pain bro. I hope you heal up fast and have a great holliday season. Just remember where the blade is next time. I may not fly my planes as often as I like, but I do take them out and run them ocassionally and let them see the blue sky. To tell you the truth, my days off lately have not been in cunjunction with good flying weather. Oh well, I'll be waiting. You know, all the little "Beware" off shoots may spark someone to actually "Beware" the next time they do something that poses a chance for injury, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that thought. Merry Christmas Tim.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:16 AM
Jgear
My Feedback: (3)

I had the same thing happen to me years ago....I was cutting some soft balsa and my grip slipped. Brand New blade went right into my thumb, didnt feel a thing until I looked for the blade and pulled it out. Went in just above the joint, then the blood just started gushing.. Rinsed it out for awhile and noticed how deep, I just about lost it when I saw white bone...I didnt hit the bone was Surgeon-close. Cleaned it, wrapped it tight and off I went. Took a good month to heel right. I have a nice half inch scar to remind me everytime I use the knife. But razor blades still bite me every once and awhile. Hope it heals soon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.