Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Securing access panels >

Securing access panels

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Securing access panels

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Securing access panels

I'm adding a 3"x3" access panel to my Gee Bee R1. I hinged it at the top with pinned nylon hinges.

My question is how to secure it? I've looked at various latches and methods of keeping it closed, but nothing seems to do the job without spoiling the scale appearance.

Does anyone have a technique for making a blind latch that can be unlocked by pushing something through a small hole?

Or how about something that can be given a quarter turn to release?

Any ideas will be appreciated.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default hidden latch

I made one of these once and it worked great.

what I did was first find an old ink pen and snatch the spring out of it. I then took a thick rectangular piece of brass and drilled a small hole into it big enough for the end of a paperclip. then I slotted a small piece of wood the width of the spring and glued the brass to it. I then narrowed the brass frm abt half way down to the end I eanted to latch. then inside the hatch I built a little box to hold his. the narrower part of the box will stop the catch from falling out but be sure to allow enough so it will drop and latch. then just make a small slot in the hatch. then all ya have to do is use a paperclip or something to poke in the hole and slide it up.

I dunno if my explanation makes sense or not but if it dont let me know i will see if i can explain it better.

Joe
Old 01-28-2003, 02:11 PM

One "latch" I've used on handlaunch gliders and sailplanes consists of a Radio Shack Rare Earth Magnet on a hinged door. Small, but very strong. I use a sliver of a razor blade glued to the fuse to give the magnet something magnetic to work against.
Old 01-28-2003, 04:52 PM

I have seen a nice setup that I plan on using in my next application.

As Bill suggests, a small magnet and piece of magnetic metal works great to hold the panel shut.

Put the magnet in the fuselage and the metal on the panel/hatch. In order to open the panel, have a larger (stronger) handheld magnet to pull panel/hatch open. A little trial & error should get the right hold and removal forces. You may want to cover the removal magnet with felt or something to protect airplane finish.

- George
Old 01-28-2003, 07:52 PM

That is a good idea to use a stronger magnet to open the hatch secured by one of the rare earth magnets.

I usually put a small "fingernail catch" on the edge of the hatch so that I can pop it open. I can get away with that now since the HLGs and sailplanes aren't scale.

If the rare earth magnet holds too strong, you can break it (like a pill) or put a layer of scotch tape between it and the metal.

--Bill
Old 01-31-2003, 08:55 PM
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AS a curious.. I have a gas plane project and need a couple hatch
cover on. I was thinking of pinning the front and Velcro sides/rear.
Pros/Cons .. ?
Old 02-01-2003, 04:13 AM
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the strong magnet cause any risk of electromagnetic interference with the Rx ? Fourmost has a hatch button which stays flush.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:55 PM

I iron a piece of monocoat over the hatch opening. It is not very often I have to get into the hatch, Then I cut out the monocoat and when I am finished I iron a piece of monocoat back on. Just as fast as Fooling around with a cover and screws.

Gene
Old 02-01-2003, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by rajul
Does the strong magnet cause any risk of electromagnetic interference with the Rx ? Fourmost has a hatch button which stays flush.
As long as the magnet and the wires aren't moving relative to each other, there shouldn't be any problem.

Good ol' Faraday's Law...
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2003, 11:50 PM

Thanks for all the replies, folks.

I ended up using the magnet approach, using two miniature magnets from Radio Shack. Worked like a charm.

Since I don't want any "handles" on the exterior of the panel, I made two small holes in spots where two of the rivets go, and make a simple tool with thin wire that goes into these holes and allows the hatch to be pulled open.

Problem solved!
Old 02-02-2003, 12:27 AM
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by LoboFlyer

As long as the magnet and the wires aren't moving relative to each other, there shouldn't be any problem.

Good ol' Faraday's Law...
Hi lobo, with the engine running, depending on how the wires are strapped down, there could be relative movements. Well, if there are folks using strong magnets out there already without any problems, it should be OK. Just don't place any wires close to them.