Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Prop Stuck on shaft--Help!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Prop Stuck on shaft--Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Gringo Flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Prop Stuck on shaft--Help!

I dont think I would try that or leaning it out to much so it will through the prop. IMO anytime you try to throw a prop you are asking for trouble. I think there are better ways to do it.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:42 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just being silly. I agree with you whole heartedly.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Gringo Flyer

Just making sure. Sometime I worry when folks say something goofy that someone new in the hobby might not realize it and actually try it.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:14 PM
sebo

You're right. I better think things through before I say something and cause someone to get hurt. You do know, however, that to get the engine to run backward the glow plug or spark plug would have to be wired just the opposite that it is. You know, the positive would have to be the negative and vice versa.
Don't statements like this just make you wonder how messed up some of us modelers are?
Thanks for the insight. Ron
Old 05-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sebo

This may sound stupid, but, what if you could start your engine in reverse and accellerate it until the prop breaks loose? I told you it would sound stupid. If you try this, please stand behind the airplane. Who knows where that prop will go.
I'm not sure that behind the engine is the place to be either. If the backwards spinning prop did unscrew from the shaft, the rotational energy would keep it spinning backward and once it was free of the shaft it would go back at you and the plane. [:@] I like the fire axe idea better [>:] and when that fails use the logical safe approach and use the cord in the cylinder trick. Just remember to remove the cord before you hit it with the starter.

All in fun. what better to do on a sunny warm Wednesday afternoon.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:29 PM
anonymouse

Loosen the prop nuts, but do not remove all the way, lean the engine out. Start the engine and firewall the throttle. My engine backfires 8 out of ten times. Don't be in front of the plane if you do this in case that prop heads for ??????? All good answers I think especially the gribs and hammears.[sm=lol.gif] Whoops didn't someone else already suggest this?
Old 05-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Gringo Flyer

ORIGINAL: sebo

You're right. I better think things through before I say something and cause someone to get hurt. You do know, however, that to get the engine to run backward the glow plug or spark plug would have to be wired just the opposite that it is. You know, the positive would have to be the negative and vice versa.
Don't statements like this just make you wonder how messed up some of us modelers are?
Thanks for the insight. Ron
I think your glow plug is wired backwards
Old 05-10-2007, 12:23 AM
anonymouse

Argentina?? I thought Formosa was near China........Maybe I need a new world map
Old 05-10-2007, 05:15 AM
digital_trucker

Why not just take your Dremel and carefully cut it off? If you cut ALMOST through one side of the hub without getting into the shaft, you should be able to grab a blade in each hand and snap the prop right off. In my past experience, Awfully Painful Cut props will break if you look at 'em funny...
Old 05-10-2007, 02:46 PM
sebo

I believe he is trying to save the prop. Doesn't want to waste it. Except for being stuck, it is a good prop.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Gringo Flyer

ORIGINAL: anonymouse

Argentina?? I thought Formosa was near China........Maybe I need a new world map
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formosa
The Formosa in Asia is also known as Taiwan. As far as Formosa Argentina, one theory is that the name comes from the fact that Formosa province is the antipode (exact opposites on the globe) of the island Formosa. Formosa is actually a Portuguese name meaning beautiful. Several countries have Formosas there is a Formosa Brazil, Canada, Portugal and even a redneck version of Formosa in Arkansas.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:34 PM
sebo

Has any consideration been given to taking it to a automotive shop....GM or any of the big ones.
They probably have tools and technicians that can remedy your problem. If they want to charge you for labor, cut the prop off.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:44 PM
MEINSHNAKE

well as said before drain all fluids from the motor and put the motor with the prop in the freezer for a while. theoretically the metal should shrink and the prop will just slide off
Old 05-10-2007, 05:00 PM
anonymouse

Well thanks for the Formosa info. Don't speak Portugese, but do know that Balsa in Spanish means raft. So what's the connection? I don't know..... Anyway interesting trivia... Oh yeah, did you get the prop off yet and if so what method did you use?