Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Fix for leaky kwik-fill fuel valve ...

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Fix for leaky kwik-fill fuel valve ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 08:43 AM
LQUAN
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix for leaky kwik-fill fuel valve ...

Hey guys,

I've done some research on RCU to find out more about those wonderful handy kwik-fill fuel valve by Dubro or GP or Magnum. Apparently, there are many stories of bad experiences that many of us had with these things and finally decided to resort to fuel-dot technologies. Fuel-dots are reliable, but running them out of the cowl's wall can be a big hassle after you installed the cowl.

I, too, had many bad experiences with Dubro and GP kwik-fuel valves. The most problems that I had were air being leaking into the fuel line during flight. If fuel is leaking out of the fuel valve through the o-ring, it can easily detected and fix with available repair kit. But if air is leaking into the fuel line, then it can be a headache to troubleshoot.

After taking one apart, I figured out that the main cause for air being drawn into the fuel line was due to the weak spring inside those valves. I solved this problem by stretching the spring out to an extra 1/8" to 3/16" to give it a higher pushing force. This will make the valve press harder against the the outer o-ring to prevent air being drawn in at full throttle. I love those kwik-fill fuel valves now that I know how to fix the problem.

For those who had never taken one apart, here is how:

1) get a T-pin.
2) use a pair of pliers to bend the pointed tip to 90degree at about 1/8" from the tip.
3) dull the pointed tip of the T-pin will a metal filer. This will prevent damage to the soft 0-ring.
4) use a toothpick to press the brass valve down while using the T-pin to hook out the outer 0-ring from under. Becarefull not damage the o-ring.
5) remove the brass valve and you will see the spring.
6) remove the spring and stretch it out to an extra 1/8" to 3/16".
7) install the spring. Notice the way it goes in. The large end goes in first.
8) install the brass valve.
9) depress the brass valve with the toothpick while installing the outer o-ring. Use another toothpick to push the o-ring in. Avoid using sharp tool to push the o-ring.

I have a lot of luck with those kwik-fill fuel valves since the fix. I even do this to brandnew valves to prevent future failure.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:14 AM
Norm Nestie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fix for leaky kwik-fill fuel valve ...

I've just started to use these Du Bro fuel dots. Thanks for the info and how to's.