Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

1" or 4" belt/disc sander?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

1" or 4" belt/disc sander?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 07:14 AM
Appfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1" or 4" belt/disc sander?

I'm in the process of equipping my shop and thought I would drop a note to you folks a bit more experienced than me.

I'm looking for a bench mounted sander - something like the [link=http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11470]Delta SA180[/link]. The 4" models seem more like just a stationary belt sander, which may be a bit too wide for working with airplane components. I'm looking for a sander that has both the disc and belt. Anyone use one of these regularly in their builds?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:33 AM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: 1" or 4" belt/disc sander?

I have a Dremel model with a vertical 1" belt and 4" disc which I use almost daily. I also have a rectangular palm sander which I use a lot.

dr.1
Old 11-13-2007, 07:48 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a Delta that has a 1 inch belt and a 6 inch disc. Great tool for scratch building. You have to be careful with balsa as either of the sanding surfaces will go through balsa really fast. Good Luck, Dave
Old 11-13-2007, 07:50 AM
Dr1Driver

Dave makes a good point. Fine grit and a light hand is what's needed here.

Dr.1
Old 11-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here on the Delta 1" verticle sander. I use it alot when cutting out parts. Cut about 1/8" from the line then finish sand up to the line. Gotta use a light touch. Even fine will eat balsa right up.
Edwin
Old 11-13-2007, 12:46 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a Craftsman with the 6" disc and a 4" belt. I previously had the 1" belt, but much prefer the 4" belt. And get one you can hook a shop vac to. You will be glad you did.
Here is one very similar to what I use: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&sName=Sanders
Old 11-13-2007, 01:01 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I happen to have both in my shop, a 1" dremel with a 4" disk and a Craftmans 4" with a 6" disk. I perfer the big belt for working with plywood and for surfacing large parts. I perfer the 1" for balsa and smaller harder to reach areas. Both have adavatages and disadavatages and for this reason I keep both. Its like table saws I also have a 4" Dremel and a 8"
Old 11-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Red B.

I have an old Dremel 5" disc / 1" belt sander. I have found that I hardly ever use the belt sander. The disc sander I use all the time. In fact I removed the belt because without it, the Dremel is very quiet. Recently I bought a 12" disc sander and I consider it one of my best workshop investments. Because I mainly build from plans or from scratch it is in almost constant use during building sessions.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:25 PM
Dr1Driver

I have a 12" disc but just haven't set it up yet. Haven't needed it. I also have a 3" x 21" belt sander I can clamp to the top of my workbench for really BIG jobs.

Dr.1
Old 11-13-2007, 07:53 PM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: TLH101

I use a Craftsman with the 6" disc and a 4" belt. I previously had the 1" belt, but much prefer the 4" belt. And get one you can hook a shop vac to. You will be glad you did.
Here is one very similar to what I use: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&sName=Sanders
I have that very same sander, love it
Old 11-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had both the 4" belt, and the 1" belt sanders. I found that I never used the 4" version, so I got rid of it, and now use the 1" vertical belt and 8" disk sander. The 1" belt lets you do a lot more detail work than you can do with the 4" version, and for really eating up the wood, the 8" disk can't be beat.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-14-2007, 12:14 AM
Laird SS

The Delta Shopmaster Model SA180 has a 1" belt and 8" disk on the side. It is all cast iron construction. Very sturdy and heavy enough that you can really bear down against the belt/disk without much fear of moving the unit. Cost the last time I checked was about $100. I think we got it at Home Depot. Delta also makes a similar model with aluminum construction. Not as sturdy, but definitely lighter. I have access to a 4" belt sander, but seldom use it. It's too big.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:22 AM
Dr1Driver

A heavy tool is good, it doesn't shift around on an unsecured mount. However, you shouldn't have to "really bear down" on a piece of work. You sould pick your tool and grit to let the sandpaper do the work.

Dr.1
Old 11-14-2007, 09:32 AM
Appfan

Great input - thanks everyone for your posts. I really appreciate everyone offering their views and experiences. I'm leaning towards the 1" Delta, as several folks have mentioned, it is in the $100 range at Lowes/Home Depot. I believe that unit also has a dust collection port.

2nd question - how often do you find yourself changing your belts / discs? Is this a monthly maintenance thing, or do you find that a new belt/disc will last for a full build?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Dr1Driver

Change the sandpaper often, whenever it becomes dull or clogged. You'll soon learn to recognize these conditions.

Dr.1
Old 11-14-2007, 10:15 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

I have used this one from Harbor Freight Tools for several years. It works well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34951

They also have another version, a little cheaper, without the disk sander. I had that one, first, but it died from a bad switch after about 6-7 mos. Don't buy that one. These things get switched on and off a lot.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:24 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Appfan

2nd question - how often do you find yourself changing your belts / discs? Is this a monthly maintenance thing, or do you find that a new belt/disc will last for a full build?
That's the real adavantage of the 4" belt. There is always a good section to use. I put on a new belt about every 9 mo. to a year.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great input - thanks everyone for your posts. I really appreciate everyone offering their views and experiences. I'm leaning towards the 1" Delta, as several folks have mentioned, it is in the $100 range at Lowes/Home Depot. I believe that unit also has a dust collection port.

Actually, there are 2 dust collection ports. One for the belt, one for the disc. I use mine a lot, and only change my belt about once per year, and the disk even less.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Appfan

Thanks again for all the responses. Now I just need a good Christmas sale at either the "Blue" or "Orange" home improvement stores.....

Cheers!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:23 PM
Frasco

I'm in the process of equipping my shop and thought I would drop a note to you folks a bit more experienced than me.

I'm looking for a bench mounted sander - something like the [link=http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=11470]Delta SA180[/link]. The 4" models seem more like just a stationary belt sander, which may be a bit too wide for working with airplane components. I'm looking for a sander that has both the disc and belt. Anyone use one of these regularly in their builds?
I have a 1" and 5" combo, and a Sears belt and disk. Both turn too fast, try the Micromark 10" and you'll never go back..
Old 03-12-2018, 05:26 PM
RACE 66

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Sander 'hoarder'

As the title says, sander hoarder, I've got 3 and working on a 4th.

Purchased the first one, a Sears 4"x21" belt sander with a 8" disc. You can either have the belt vertical or horizontal, 1 horse, belt driven, cast iron table construction. Great for sanding bevels on ailerons or removing stock on large items and the sand disc table can pivot 0 to 45 degrees. Bought it around 1980 still going strong. Around $ 150.00 1980 dollars.

2 nd one, Harbor Freight 1" x 5" table top sander. Works ok, I use baby socks on the discharge chutes to collect sanding dust. Have had it around 5 years or so, still running ok. Good for small parts, Around $60.00

3rd one, Purchased used, (barely) are a very GOOD price this spindle and small belt machine. Check the link. It has a large table, that tilts from 0 to 45 degrees. The large table I really like, in that your not 'running off the edge' of table as you move your part around on table. Plus it has 'spindle sanding' capability to. It has a vac port in which I bought a $25.00 1 gallon shop vac that turns on the same time the sander does, really works well. Link to sander: https://www.amazon.com/Ridgid-EB4424.../dp/B0015B9G0S Total investment for sander and vac: $125.00

Now all the above sanders are one speed, so you need to be careful and not 'burn' your wood while sanding. It's a big pain. So, the next step I wanted a variable speed sander, but, the Proxon brand is really expensive, good tool though, but to rich for my blood. So, I got on the bay' and found a new variable speed, reversing craft rock tumbling motor ($30.00) NOS and I secured a 6" disc (the 'zon for 15.00) to mate to the motor shaft and will build up a frame,(most likely 3/8" birch and a metal aluminum table with angle adjustment. So, then I can slow down the disc and sand away without burning the wood and not take 'too much' when I sand at slower speeds. Total price $45.00 plus my labor to build frame/table aspect.

That's it, this is what I did and it works for me. A learning process it is.

Mike
Old 03-12-2018, 07:14 PM
warbdluvr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the moment I have a delta 4" belt with 6" disc that I use constantly. There are times I wish I had a 1" belt as well. Sometimes with the big sander I kinda feel like Im trying to do brain surgery with a machete lol. I always run the finest grit I can get so even a light touch doesnt eat an inch of balsa.
You should also check your local hardware store for a rubber cleaning block. Just a block of soft rubber that cleans the belt or disc when it gets clogged. Really extends the life of a belt or disc. Just fire up the sander and give the clogged grit a quick touch with the block. I tend to leave my belts on for a while. A fine grit belt thats a touch dull is a little less agressive. When its dull enough it starts to make more heat than sawdust I swap it out.
Good luck
Old 03-13-2018, 04:54 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I was going to recommend the cleaning block as well. I've been able to use my abrasives for years without a problem doing so. Here's a link to my source:
Abrasive Cleaning Sticks | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware
Click image for larger version

Name:	46987-02-1000_2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	2259140
Old 04-02-2018, 08:44 PM
alicewfalls

This post is 12 years ago. I want to share the best disc/belt sander in 2018. Wen is the best for combo sanders. Its price is so reasonable and easy to use.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:23 PM
crossman

I have used the 1 inch sander from Harbor Freight for some time now. I have the one without the disc, as I have a larger craftsman with one.

This site carries the 1 x 30 belts in much finer grades than you will find in most places https://www.woodworkingshop.com/