Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Anyone have plans for a building table?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Anyone have plans for a building table?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 07:59 PM
combatman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have plans for a building table?

Hi,

Does anyone have plans that I can follow to help me put together a large-ish building table? Perhaps 6 or 7 feet wide and 3 feet deep. I was not crazy about my table fashioned from a luan door. I've seen many heavy-duty tables in people's workshops, and in pics here on RCU, but I have never put one together.

Any suggestions (other than using a door) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2008, 09:18 PM
combatman

Default RE: Anyone have plans for a building table?

ORIGINAL: combatman

Hi,

Does anyone have plans that I can follow to help me put together a large-ish building table? Perhaps 6 or 7 feet wide and 3 feet deep. I was not crazy about my table fashioned from a luan door. I've seen many heavy-duty tables in people's workshops, and in pics here on RCU, but I have never put one together.

Thanks!
Duh Combatman,

Try doing a search first before posting your question!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6155743/tm.htm
Old 01-20-2008, 10:39 PM
aerojunkie

Combatman,
Check out my building table here....
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_67...tm.htm#6886600

There are a few photos on post 12 and 14. The photos don't show the completed table as I still needed the glass top. I picked up the glass yesterday, put it on the frame, leveled, flattened and added a little more support. I have already started building a Hog Bipe directly on the glass.

When I first put the glass on it was a little bowed (about 1/16") in the center, I had been assured that it would stay flat but it didn't[]. After a little modification it is now as flat as water in a cup.

I will put a sheet of 22 gauge (.040") steel on top of the glass and use the "Magnet System" to build my planes, I have a second table with a wood top to do the assembly and covering. With a glass top you do not want to do forcefull work on it and you shouldn't leave heavy objects on top of it either, but it is flat, flatter than any door.

I don't have any photos of the completed table in my computer but I can post one or two tomorrow if you're interested. I can give you a materials list, instructions and any other information you need to build one if you like.

Let me know.

Miguel

Old 01-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Mooney_driver

Try this link of the infamous Airfield magnetic building table and others in that series:

http://www.airfieldmodels.com./infor...oard/index.htm

One builder used a surplus drafting table for the base.

Good luck.

Mooney_Driver

ORIGINAL: combatman

Hi,

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a great work bench on New Yankee Workshop. It had wheels that you could prop up to move it, then pull a rope that lowered the table to the floor. You should be able to find the plans on their web site. Mine is about chest high and has wheels with locks, a bunch of drawers, an open space for bigger stuff, and power outlets on it.
Edwin
Old 01-28-2008, 12:51 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

In order to kill 2 birds with one stone, I use the outfeed table for my table saw as my main building board. The frame work is 2x4s joined with sheetmetal carpentry brackets, the top is 3/4" MDPB.