Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
 Warped Top-flite GS P-51 Wing >

Warped Top-flite GS P-51 Wing

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Warped Top-flite GS P-51 Wing

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 11:31 PM
My Feedback: (80)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Warped Top-flite GS P-51 Wing

After completing the wing sheeting (fully sheeted) on my top flite Giant p-51 i ended up with a significant warp on the left wing tip. I was actually trying to fix a slight warp that resulted from sheeting the bottom side and ended up with a much more severe warp in the other direction! oops! The wing is very stiff and very resistant to twisting. I tried wetting the wing and twisting it but it helped very little if any. I used gorilla glue so that stuff is tough as nails. any ideas on fixing a warped fully sheeted 3/32" balsa wing? or should I just build it and fly it and see how it handles? i I am really dreading ordering all the parts and building a new wing, what a pain!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:41 AM
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Warped Top-flite GS P-51 Wing

I believe I have read an article where you cut the sheeting on a diagnal on both sides so you can then twist the wing. You then hold the wing in place and CA the razor cut back together. Never had the need to try it. Sorry to read about your troubles. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:24 AM
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard of that same method but it was for a foam wing.

Is the warp wash in or wash out? If it is wash in, I would scrap the wing and start over. Wash out, I would try something to at least reduce it.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:39 PM
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe you gave up too soon on the wetting method?

I have used a 50% water and 50% ammonia solution successfully in a similar situation on a fully sheeted Platt ME-109 wing. In my opinion, water alone isn't enough.

If you are willing to try it again, this time make sure you wet the ENTIRE wing. I am not talking just damp. It has to be really wet, both sides, from wingtip to wing root. The water/ammonia mix swells and loosens the wood fibers

If you wet it enough, it will be twistable in the direction you need it to go. Of course, you have to twist it beyond where it needs to be because there will still be a tendency for the dried wood to spring back a bit. Just how much to twist is a magic secret no one has the answer to. You might have to do it several times until it is just right.

In my case, I used a 1X8 piece of lumber on the top of the wing and stacked old magazines on it until I felt the wing had given just the right amount. Stack enough old magazines, books or whatever, and the wing will bend!

Let the wing completely dry out before removing the weight.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
The fix is quiet easy!
What you do is to cut several cuts in the balsa planking on the upper as well on the under surface of the wing, then twist the wing and pour thin Ca glue in cuts. Use Kicker!
When the glue has dried just sand the surface using a 25-30cm long aluminum U-bar sanding block.

See to that you get wash-out in each wing trip. Not Wash-in!!