Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Did a dumb thing today

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Did a dumb thing today

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:53 AM
JRFisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did a dumb thing today

I've been flying for quite a few years and I've never done this before.

I did my pre-flight, started up and taxied to the end of the runway and did my range check. Everything is go.

I took off and about 1 minute into the flight the plane rolled 90 degrees to the left and restraightened itself immediately. Hmmmm. Probably dumb thumb. Flew for about another minute and the plane did the same thing. Hmmmm- better get her on the ground. On approach, the plane did it again. Fortunately I was able to get her on the ground without any damage.

I taxied back to the line and when I shut the engine down, I noticed that I had never extended the TX antenna.

I guess it all comes down to complacency. I think I will write down all the things I need to do and keep it in my flight box. I can read it prior to take off as a double check.

Its hard to get old.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Showtime100

Default RE: Did a dumb thing today

I have never done it but heard about it and I'd say your darn lucky to still have a plane. A lot of times they fly off into the sunset. I think it is one of the more common mistakes made. I try to do the exact same things, like a pre-game ritual. Extending the antenna is done every time just as I begin to start my taxi to the runway. I've done it that way so long that now it is like driving without a seatbelt. I feel kind of weird when I don't do it.

Pretty soon all the TXs won't have those extendable antennas anymore.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:10 AM
pdm52956
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was learning.......I guess I should say beginning to learn because I seem to learn everytime I go to the field.........one of my instructors always flew with a 2.4 radio. My trainer that we used was 72 mhz. So here we are, flying around the pattern when out on the downwind, my plane drops about 10 or 15 feet like it had hit turbulance or something. He asked me if I did that to which I replied no. We both assumed there was some air current that caused it and kept flying. Next pass around the pattern and it did it again, in the exact same place, to which we both said bring er down and let's check this out. Lined up on final and all of a sudden my instructor gasps and pulls the antenna out. Plane flew great afterwards!

When I bought my 2nd plane, I also upgraded to 2.4 and now everytime I get the trainer out for a nice relaxing cruise, I have to double check myself just to be sure I did indeed pull that antenna out. Been fortunate so far and haven't forgotten that antenna when I fly the trainer, but Murphy is always lurking..........
Old 08-06-2009, 11:15 AM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Been there done that! I really felt stupid when I had only solo'd about 2 weeks before. My instructor walks by while I'm flying and said, "I didn't know you fly spektrum radios" I replied "what are talking about" He just pointed to my antenna and frowned. Lucky for me no loss of signal or glitches and I immediately pulled the antenna out.

Now I have switched to Spektrum and don't have to think about pulling the antenna up. If I have the wrong airplane on the radio, the Rx will not respond, which is another nice feature.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:38 AM
TFF

I have T/O with it down and had to hoist it up while flying, so now I have it up after I turn on the radio. Saw a guy kill a brand new pattern plane by not putting the antenna up; second flight. Total loss. His job, airline capt., so it can happen to anyone.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:17 PM
timcat26

Been there and done that as well but the results were a lawn darted NexStar trainer. It got out of range as I had it in a 30 degree right bank at full throttle. It was a fairly spectacular crash to watch as it went in at about a 75 degree angle full throttle. Boom! All I got out of it in working condition was the servos, a couple of control rods, the RX battery and landing gear.

I had been flying with Spektrums for a couple of years prior and pulled out the NexStar with Futaba 72 Mhz. to get it in shape for my daughter to begin training with it. Now the trainer is an Alpha 40 with Spektrum...$300.00 later.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:44 PM
anuthabubba
My Feedback: (102)

I do the range check seperately before getting on the runway and never even taxi with the antenna down. If there WAS a problem the plane might run/fly away.

Terry in LP
Old 08-06-2009, 02:23 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

This is going to be more common I am afraid in the next few years. I fly some on 72 and some on 2.4. I have not flown with the 72 down, but I have tried to pull up on a 2.4.

david
Old 08-06-2009, 04:28 PM
andrew66

After i start the plane in the starting sticks (or whatever they are called) I do a run up, controll check and before i remove the plane from the stand, I extend the antenna. I almost forgot the antena once (it was pointed out to me) and boy did i feel dumb. Since then, I have always remembered. At least you plane is unharmed and you have learned from the mistake.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Stick 40

ORIGINAL: daveopam

This is going to be more common I am afraid in the next few years. I fly some on 72 and some on 2.4. I have not flown with the 72 down, but I have tried to pull up on a 2.4.

david
I have switched all mine over to the 2.4 for just that reason , except for a few indoor and park flyer. I will get the park flyers changed over also

I have a good TX in 2.4 and want to use it as much as possable , plus I know I will forget the ant. or forget the freq. pin.

Problem solved.

sticks
Old 08-07-2009, 07:50 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have forgotten to pull out the antenna a few times too (I've also forgotten to unroll the Rx antenna a few times )

With the 2.4 systems, I can't tell you how many times I've been flying along and suddenly think, "Oh Crap! My antenna isn't out!"
Old 08-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My method is that I NEVER, ever, start the plane without the antenna extended. The antenna gets extended before the transmitter switch is turned on.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:10 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Steve Collins

My method is that I NEVER, ever, start the plane without the antenna extended. The antenna gets extended before the transmitter switch is turned on.
The problem there is that I've seen too many antennas get eaten by props!
Old 08-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Showtime100

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

The problem there is that I've seen too many antennas get eaten by props! [img][/img]
Exactly... especially if you are by yourself.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:50 AM
JRFisher

One of the reasons I shared this was to point out how easy it is to become complacent.

There are so many times while flying, driving, or at work we do things by habit rather than thinking about what is going on.

I saw a friend put his hand into a prop reaching for the heater. This person has been flying for many years. He knows better but just wasn't thinking.

The crash of Eastern Flight 401 in 1972 happened because the cockpit crew became involved in solving a landing gear light problem and forgot that no one was flying the plane!

Little things add up to big problems. Please guys- think about what you are doing all the time.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Stick 40

you are wright, safty is an ongoing isue. My friend reached for the glow driver this summer and got bit.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:12 PM
andrew66

Correct me if im wrong, but other than the possibly of getting the antenna in the prop, I was told that having the antenna extended when in close proximity to the model, it was bad for the radio system. I was shown from day one of rc that it was good practice, and easier on the radio system if the antenna was only pulled out one section. (apparently having the antenna all the way down is bad too)
Old 08-09-2009, 09:53 PM
bhady

I've done the same thing and was lucky and got by with it. My plane never gave any indication of signal loss, luckily I noticed the andtena wasn't extended and got it up before disaster struck. JR must make a good radio gear because the plane was out probablyover 200 yards and was on the way back when I noticed the antenna down. The friend I was flying with commented that it was quite a range check!

bhady
Old 08-10-2009, 12:25 PM
crossman

ORIGINAL: andrew66

Correct me if im wrong, but other than the possibly of getting the antenna in the prop, I was told that having the antenna extended when in close proximity to the model, it was bad for the radio system. I was shown from day one of rc that it was good practice, and easier on the radio system if the antenna was only pulled out one section. (apparently having the antenna all the way down is bad too)
If the transmitter is too close to the receiver with the antenna extended, it can overpower the receiver. If the antenna is fully collapsed, the output section of the transmitter can overheat.

My own mindlessness showed up earlier this season while I was making some aileron adjustments to the plane. As I was cleaning up at the end of the evening, I removed the wing and began to wipe it down. When I bumped the Ailerom linkage, It fell off the servo. I had neglected to put the screw back in the output shaft. That could have been ugly.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:47 PM
JRFisher

Crossman- not near as bad as if it would have been the elevator!
Old 08-12-2009, 02:07 PM
crossman

ORIGINAL: JRFisher

Crossman- not near as bad as if it would have been the elevator!
That's another story!!

When I first started flying 3 years ago , my trainer had been in the basment for about 12 years. One evening we had a lot of wind and rain and were under a shelter at the field. The wind blew my plane into a table and knocked the tail off. In the process of repairing it, I found out that while the plane was in the basement, the mice had chewed the elevator pushed nearly through.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:31 PM
ArrowNaughtic

ORIGINAL: daveopam

david
LOL !! I have done the same thing. Those lil antennas don't like to be pulled either.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 11-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Doog-meister

Having and staying with a routine is critical. We can all go on with dumb things we have done. Those are often the things we now check several times before every flight. The full-size boys have checklists printed right in the cockpit.

We had a saying painted on the hangar:

AVIATION, LIKE THE SEA, IS NOT INHERENTLY DANGEROUS. HOWEVER, IT IS TERRIBLY UNFORGIVING OF ANY CARELESSNESS, INCAPACITY, OR NEGLECT.

This goes for us model pilots as well. I could tell you how I know . . . .
Old 11-25-2009, 10:17 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Heck don't feel bad, after listening to some guys talk..I built my TRANSMITTER antenna into the fuselage of my first trainer ...[]

hehehehe
Old 11-27-2009, 12:18 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Hey buddy,,, glad you got her down in one piece....... Dumb????????????? yes. But now you have learned something............ do it twice and they call it stupid......... there is a differance you know.

Good luck and be happy you got her down in one piece.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.