Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Ziroli Stearman 87"

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Ziroli Stearman 87"

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:20 AM
Fear2722
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ziroli Stearman 87"

Hi gang!

I love ARF's like the next hobbyist... however, It's time I build another kit. I'm from the hometown of the National Stearman Fly-In held every year in Galesburg, IL, during Labor Day weekend. What better way than to honor the fly-in by building a Stearman?

A lot of things are coming together on this one, that I haven't done before. I'm familiar with high performance ARF's, and Giant Scale, and Gas... But I've never built a giant scale airplane from the ground up, furthermore, I've never made any Ziroli kit.

So with all this, there are some questions to be answered... Every kit cutting place has told me that they are no longer accepting new orders for kits, due to being back logged, so I am looking at Ziroli's website, which offers a "short" kit, containing all the ribs and formers, just doesn't include any of the stick wood or sheet wood. Surely someone out there knows where there is the kit available, with all the wood, right?

Anyway, a buddy of mine owns a Stearman, which is based here at Galesburg, so I got the opportunity to go out and take all sorts of pictures for detail. This won't be a "monokote" job, it's gotta be fabric and paint, the catch is... I don't know how to do that! Never tried! Anyone have any tips/suggestions/websites that describe "how to?" I'm not familiar with rib stitiching, so I don't know if that's a requirement, but if I need to learn how to do it, please help.

As of right now, I've ordered the plans (step 1 down, right?). I still need to get the goodies, decide on power plant and what not, but since this is something like I've never done before, I want to do it right. If you have any advice or comments about building a Ziroli Stearman, applying fabric, scale tips, I would much appreciate it!

Once the process starts, I will keep an online log of the progress, until then, here's one of the whole airplane shots of the Stearman I'm modelling after.

Thanks![img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60528.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1264513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18027.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1264514  
Old 08-28-2009, 01:05 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ziroli Stearman 87

Wow,

Big Beautiful Project !

Will follow along and can recommend where to get stainless steel airfoiled tubing for the cabane and struts.
Also the landing and flight wires if you are interested in that depth of scale.

What radial dummy engine... ?

Doug
Old 08-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Fear2722

definitely will have to have the scale wires, haven't thought much about the cabanes, I was waiting to see what the plans looked like, but I'm definitely open to suggestions! Ziroli sells the dummy 7 cyl engine kit, it looks okay, haven't seen too many others out there. I'd really like to find a continental to match the real one!

Im still hoping I stumble upon $4500 to get the robart radial!! lol! don't see that one coming anytime soon!
Old 08-28-2009, 07:43 PM
GSNut
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fear....

I do know bout the $$$'s part.

Am calling my in the works project " The Money Pit " (P-51D Giant Scale )

Try these for starts on the wires and the second one is for the tubing... which can also be used for the landing gear too as he has round type also. From Toni you will have to download the catalog.

Flying Wires and Fittings for Scale.. See his Great Photo section...

http://www.flying-wires.ch/flying-wires/index.html

Then..

Down Load The Catalog for lots of goodies to include stainless airfoiled tubing stock.. I used Toni's for my stainless cabane on the 1/3rd Pitts S2a ! Nice guys to work with there and good stuff.

http://www.toni-clark.com/index_en.htm

Study the Plans, Study the Plans and Study the Plans.....!!

Good information here on radials.....
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_31...tm.htm#3136200

Hope some of this helps.

Doug

Old 10-16-2013, 05:50 PM
mustang_fanatic
My Feedback: (14)

Nice I visited Galesburg as well and actually flew in a Stearman that is based here in Davenport Iowa owned by a couple of friends at D&D avaition N556DM. I own a Flair Stearman that was orginall built by a guy named Kevin Knebel and competed at Top gun in 2009 and 2012. It had been beat up a bit when I bought it. I restored it and put a new dummy radial kit on it. The plane is powered by a Zenoah G-45. I have attached some photos. I am in the process of deciding to buy the Balsa USA 1/3 scale Stearman and modeling it after one of the Red Baron Stearman Squadron. I have not heard postive remarks about that kit and may aslo consider blowing up the Ziroli 87" to 1/3 Scale.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Fear2722

Very nice! I essentially live out at the airport the week of the fly in! Come on back! I haven't seen much of the 1/3 scale ones for years. There used to be a guy who brought two of them to the fly-in for many years in a row, and on the last day of the fly-in, I'm thinking in 2001, He flew one and that is the last time I saw them. If I had a trailer, I would have to get one just because I am a stearman junkie.

My project has started off again. The bottom wings are framed and sheeted, I still need to build the elevators, and top wings and sheet the fuselage. I'm likely going to use the G-62 with the dummy engine. I've picked out servos, and the rest is history. Hopefully will get it covered and ready for paint by the first of the year.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Fear2722

Well here she is so far. I need to finish sand the lower wings and pick servos and cover. Top left wing needs framed, both top wings need sheeted/sanded. Need to build elevators, N-struts, Cabanes, and sheet fuselage then the rest is ready for cover. Hope to be in the covering stage by the New Year. Also attached is the stearman this will be modeled after.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	603081_10151663581661722_1377567766_n.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1935143   Click image for larger version

Name:	1426714_10151663582786722_885528829_n.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	1935144   Click image for larger version

Name:	1451332_10151663581366722_734501728_n.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	1935145   Click image for larger version

Name:	1001994_10151663619506722_1303770391_n.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1935146  
Old 10-31-2013, 03:12 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your Stearman is coming along nicely !

Earlier, you asked for suggestions. I have a couple, for scale goodies, to add to the overall impression of your model.

I use Natural Solartex on my "fabric" covered models. I find it easy to apply. It requires no filling of the weave, and accepts most paints, without the use of primer. The end result is a realistic finish. http://shop.balsausa.com/category_s/172.htm

For added wing detail, I suggest rib tapes from Gary at Pink-it. http://www.pink-it.net/ He also does graphics (Decal-it). Ask him about those and check out his deal on scale prop logos.

Cockpit details can be purchased from I Fly Tailies. http://www.iflytailies.com/ I have had excellent service from this vendor. If you purchase guages for your instrument panel, I suggesst that you but one size smaller than the scale of your model. ie, if you Stearman is 1/4 scale, get the 1/5 guages I find this product, although excellent, to be a little large.

You have an excellent project. I wish you continued success.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Tom, I found your next project! I'm told this thing is based on a Stearman. Awesome!

Old 11-02-2013, 01:45 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's cool, Chad ! It would make a neat project.