Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Make your own cowl - Eureka Moment?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Make your own cowl - Eureka Moment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Make your own cowl - Eureka Moment?

Hi All,

Some years ago I read on Paul Johnston's incredibly helpful site http://airfieldmodels.com/ how to make your own cowls and othe fiberglass goodies using florist's foam as the "plug". I've been working on a Macci from Airborne plans off and on for years, between other projects and have decided to finish the blighter to make room on the bench for a larger project. To cut a long story short this morning when it came time to remove the foam I was about to start the usual circus with implements of destruction before removing the dregs of the foam with petrol when I thought that an ice cream scoop may work. With my wife out shopping I quickly removed the ice cream scoop from the kitchen drawer and it worked like a charm, florist foam is much softer than ice cream. Within less than five minutes I had removed the foam, washed the ice cream scoop and returned it to the kitchen. Hope this may help any other cowling makers out there.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 01-28-2010, 06:24 AM
AlphaWhisky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Make your own cowl - Eureka Moment?

Hi Colin,

Thanks for all that. As a new arrival to the lucky country, I`ve been hunting around here for a source of both blue and urethane foam for cowling plugs etc. Not much joy to date, but I like the florist foam idea - never thought of that..... The local girl will get a visit from me tomorrow.

Thanks,

Alan W
Old 01-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Make your own cowl - Eureka Moment?

Hi Alan,

Welcome to Oz you can click the heels of your red shoes together but I don't think that it'll get you to Kansas! I found the best source for florist foam, (cheapest and greatest selection of block sizes), was Spotlight.

Cheers,

Colin