Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Lubricate Air Retracts

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Lubricate Air Retracts

Old 01-28-2010, 06:13 AM
AlphaWhisky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lubricate Air Retracts

My 80" Spitfire is all of 5 years old and is fittted with Century Jet air retracts. Last time out it flew well and the retracts have always performed pretty good too. I seem to recall that last time out the air tank held enough pressure overnight to operate them without topping up. However, for some pretty good reasons, the model hasn`t flown in over a year now. I`m keen to fly it again and am doing some checks and maintenance before dragging it out to my new flying site.

Although the retracts have always worked well, and never maintained in any way, I`m sure they could use a little TLC before using them again. The model has been well stored, but the climate here is often in the 30* C rqnge and I imagine the O rings or whatever won`t like too much of that. I`ve heard somewhere that a a silicon lube introduced into the system might be beneficial.

Query.... What type of silicon and applicator is advised. I would have thought that a liquid silicon administered into the airline with a hypodermic shringe or similar would be a practical stunt, but would like to hear what the experts reckon. I have spent ages looking around for a liquid silicon product, but best I can find around here is an aerosol can of the stuff recommended for lubricating door tracks etc.

I`d be interested to hear what the experts have to say about this....?

Thanks,

Alan W

Old 01-29-2010, 09:57 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Lubricate Air Retracts

Here is the product you are looking for:

http://bvmjets.com/Pages/thin_o_lube.htm
Old 01-30-2010, 05:32 AM
RevGQ

Most likely the same lube you would use in pneumatic nail guns.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:10 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I use RC Car/Truck Shock Absorber Fluid, I put a small amount in the airlines and cycle the gear a few times to distribute the fliud, seems to work well.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:34 AM
AlphaWhisky

Thanks for that info, guys, good food for thought. I don`t know if there are different grades of silicon lubricant available, but I will check out the nail gun thing and also consider decanting the contents of an aerosol can into a bottle or similar and applying it from there with a hypodermic shringe or similar.

Thanks,

Alan W
Old 02-20-2010, 11:25 AM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Steve Collins

Here is the product you are looking for:

http://bvmjets.com/Pages/thin_o_lube.htm
+1 Bingo!