Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Epoxolite Substitute?

Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Epoxolite Substitute?

Old 03-26-2010, 01:16 PM
3D Romeo
My Feedback: (111)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxolite Substitute?

Hi,

In the past I've used Epoxolite for all sorts of applications, like wing saddles, and plug in wings with root ribs that didn't mate pefectly to the fuse. But I'm unemployed right now, and $20 for a 5 oz. can of Epoxolite is more than I can afford right now. Is there any cheaper substitutes for Epoxolite that will give me similar results?

I have milled fiberglass, and micro-balloons if they are of any use?

I hope somebody can help me out. I have an airplane where I had to re-align the elevator tube, and now the elevators don't sit flush on the fuse when I plug them in. I figured the easiest fix would be to apply "Epoxolite", and then plug the elevators in. I know there are better fixes. But I don't want to spend to much time on this particular airplane.

Thank You,

Mark
Old 03-26-2010, 01:42 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Epoxolite Substitute?

How about JB WELD from a parts store ? Max H.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:40 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

A thick mix of microballoons and epoxy will work.

I would rather use Epoxolite as well, but a thick microballoons mix will work. Only bad thing is as the epoxy starts to set it tends to thin the mix out (due to heat) but you can handle it.

The mix sands easily as well.

Don
Old 03-26-2010, 03:50 PM
3D Romeo

Thanks for the reply Don!

When mixing Epoxy and Microballoons, is there a ratio that I shouldn't exceed?

I'd like it to be as thick as I can get it, but I'm guessing there is only so many microballoons that can be added to the epoxy without it weakening the final result too much?

Mark
Old 03-26-2010, 05:02 PM
hattend

I have made it so it has the consistency of soft bread dough and it still cured alright. Use longer curing epoxy, mix it up first and then add the microballoons. Mix it in stages so it all gets mixed in good. When it "peaks" when you remove the mix stick, it's almost there. You don't want to too thick as itwon't be able to flow into crevices when the glue heats up right before the cure.

If you remember what Epoxolite looks like after you have mixed it but before it cures (relatively soft), that's almost to where you can do the microballoons successfully. Practice on scrap wood if you want to experiment.

Don
Old 03-26-2010, 05:37 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use micro ballons and finishing resin, usually Z-Poxy. The mix does not have that "wax-goo" on the surface, and sands much better than regular epoxy. The sandpapoer does not load up.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:50 PM
3D Romeo

Thanks guys!

I think I might have some finishing resin around, too. I'll have to check.

I guess there's nothing else to do now but mix up a couple samples, and see how it works out.

Mark
Old 03-27-2010, 10:02 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
24 hour epoxy and brown microballons are much better then Epoxylite!!! The fillings gets much harder /durable and are much easier to sand.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13495.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1405723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83418.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1405724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33593.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1405725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51020.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	1405726  
Old 03-27-2010, 10:41 AM
3D Romeo

Thanks for the reply Jan,

I just checked the microballoons that I have, and it is indeed the brown type (manufactured by PICA). It says on the bottle that it is .005 diameter. But it's the only kind they sell that I'm aware of. So I'm guessing that this dimension is for my benefit, and not signifying that there are different sizes available?

The longest setting epoxy that I have 2 hour. But that should give me plenty of time to do what I need to do. I don't think I've ever seen the 24 hour kind sold at hobby stores. Is that more of a finishing resin?

Mark
Old 03-27-2010, 01:57 PM
hattend

Two hour will be fine. Plenty of time. I don't believe I have seen 24 hour stuff, either.

Jan is in Sweden, it may be available over there.

Don
Old 03-27-2010, 02:46 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: jaka

Hi!
24 hour epoxy and brown microballons are much better then Epoxylite!!! The fillings gets much harder /durable and are much easier to sand.
I've used Epoxolite a lot. The think I like best about it is if you know what you're doing, you can form most things like wing fillets and landing gear fairings so you don't need to do any sanding. It cleans up with water and doesn't make a mess. It is difficult to sand, so you really need to make it right rather than assume you'll just fix it later by sanding to shape.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:19 PM
3D Romeo

I've actually never used epoxolite in any application where I needed to sand it that much either. The only applications I've used it for in the past was for making two parts fit together perfectly, with no gaps (like the wing saddle, plug in wings, or plug in stabs). I just put plastic over one part (like the wing), apply the epoxolite to the other part (like the wing saddle), and then bolt the parts together. After it dries I cut away most of the epoxolite that squeezes out with a knife. Which leaves very little to sand to get a nice flush finish.

That's basically what I need the epoxolite substitute for. When I re-aligned the stab tube in the fuse it made a 1/16 gap between the fuse and the leading edge of one of the plug in stabs (for some reason the other side fits fine). So I'll be applying the epoxy/microballoons mixture to the root rib of the stab with the gap, taping plastic to the fuse, and then bolting it on. That's why I need it to be firm enough where it won't run out before it sets.

I was originally planning on using balsa, or light ply, to fill the gap. But I figured the epoxolite substitute would be a faster easier fix.

Thanks again for all the replies!

Mark
Old 03-28-2010, 07:48 AM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

"I use micro ballons and finishing resin" I have done this as well , its cheap and works good .

Sometimes budgets will get you in the end , the best filller I ever purchased became my most economical .

Evercoat Easy Sand its somewhat expesnive but works much better then most over the counter , its the lightest and will resist cracking , its what the pros use on $100,000 autos ect
Old 03-28-2010, 09:48 AM
3D Romeo

LDM,

You're right, it is a little pricey...but 24oz. for $20 is allot better than the 5oz. of epoxolite you'd get for the same amount of money. To bad they don't sell it in smaller quantities. If they sold it in 5oz. containers like epoxolite it would only be $4-$5!!! As it stands though, it's the same out of pocket cost as epoxolite. Which is more than I'd like to spend right now. Unless I can find some others in my club that would be interested, to help defray the cost.

What color is it, and how does it adhere to wood?

Can it be purchased at major auto stores, or does it need to be ordered online?

It definitely gives me one more option to look into.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 03-28-2010, 09:56 AM
LDM

It will stick to anything , its sands like butter , it can be used to mold small parts like bumps and blister ect , it drys pink /white , you mix a small amount , drying time to sand aprox 10 mins .

It wont crack even under vibration , In Pa you can only buy it at auto body suppliy houses but other states have it in auto stores .

Remember they make a ton of this stuff , the one for planes is Easy Sand
The guys who fly turbines in my area swear by it and said using anything else is like useing lead
Old 03-28-2010, 10:05 AM
3D Romeo

I just found the spec sheet on Easy Sand...it says that it is a "flowable viscosity".

Can it be mixed to a firm putty consistancy that won't flow? Because in my application I need it to stay put, and not sag, or run.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:23 AM
LDM

yes all you do is add more hardner vs fill , you can even add micro balloons , its all works with this product .I ended up filling my glass wing with this stuff , I was amazed with one sweep of a plastic credit card it coverd .
I also made my gun blisters on my fuse with the stuff , did not run
Old 03-31-2010, 09:49 PM
LDM

Go to the warbird threads , look up the Dave Platt Zero makeover , the guys shows a pic of the evercoat easy sand and how its used
Old 04-01-2010, 05:38 AM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

a lot of the builders over on rcsb use the evercoat products. i use the easy sand and love it. it does dry quick though.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:32 AM
3D Romeo

Thanks again LDM...I'll have to check out that thread on the Zero makeover.

Mark
Old 04-01-2010, 10:47 AM
LDM

No problem Mark , good luck with you build and I sincerly hope your economic situation also improves ,