RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Tips & Techniques (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/)
-   -   Let's see your work shop! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips-techniques-180/1350936-lets-see-your-work-shop.html)

daven 09-14-2010 04:38 PM

RE: Let's see your work shop!

Finally settled into my new shop, still organizing, but ready to start making balsa dust. Pics to come, but I know right now, I'm going to need a lot more outlets! Having a bathroom in the shop makes for a great place to store planes!

Luchnia 09-14-2010 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: tailskid

it is not safe or cool to leave donuts in the trunk of an airplane moving device!
That would have been the first thing I would have removed :D

loopyrc 09-26-2010 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Great thread , love to see all the different ways to store planes and the building conditions.</p>

Here's one corner of my shop/garage.</p>

gi1mo2 10-30-2010 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a few before pictures (my dining room table), and need thoughs for after pictures. Moving to a second bedroom (10 x 10), and want work bench (table), shelfs, charging station. I have 2 planes and 6 helis (CP Pro 2, 450, 500).

Considering folding table (6 foot), wall mounted shelves, and perhaps pegboard (may go for storage boxes instead). I have a tool tray which I like very much.

mobilemenice80 10-30-2010 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well my shop has gotten face-lift #8 here is where i am at now..
i installed a gas heater for our cold winters and have taken over the entire garage..

so far so good really enjoying not having to take the planes up and down the stairs

gi1mo2 11-15-2010 11:13 PM

ORIGINAL: gi1mo2

I have a few before pictures (my dining room table), and need thoughs for after pictures. Moving to a second bedroom (10 x 10), and want work bench (table), shelfs, charging station. I have 2 planes and 6 helis (CP Pro 2, 450, 500).

Considering folding table (6 foot), wall mounted shelves, and perhaps pegboard (may go for storage boxes instead). I have a tool tray which I like very much.
Here is my updated work shop and Hangar.

CRAZYRYAN 12-08-2010 10:52 AM

what type of plane is that u are building? the one that looks like a half scale???

Condor060 12-29-2010 09:24 AM

I spent about 3 days cleaning up my shop. Since Itook the time to clen it I thought I would post a few shots but RCU isnt working for uploads right now

1wolf 02-18-2011 04:15 AM

This is a cool thread keep those pics coming!

madmanmikie 02-18-2011 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2nd story in my garage

CRAZYRYAN 02-19-2011 12:35 AM

man these posts just keep comming lol

power flight 02-20-2011 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[img]jpeg[/img]Here is mine.[img]IMG_0351[/img]

tcr1016 04-16-2011 04:32 PM

For all of you that have workshops in your basements or house, how do you keep the fumes out??? I will be building mine in my spare bedroom, but I do not want to be getting high from the glue fumes. How do you prevent this. I can open the window, but is that enough??

AmishWarlord 04-17-2011 01:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No the fumes are heavier than air. like gas vapors in a boat's engine compartment. If you want to use the window you need a small fan on the floor to disturb the air and one of those two fan unites in the window to suck the fumes out.

We had a club member almost die in his basement. He was sitting at his bench doping a plane and got light headed. He tried to stand up but fell down. He crawled up the stairs from the basement and passed out at the door. Luckily he had crawled out of the fumes before he had passed out.

I used the two fan system for years in two bedroom apartments with no problems. I would suggest that you try and time your doping or painting in the fall and spring. sucking 25 or 100 degree air into your home tends to run up the power bill. Also the humidity levels are better for the paint.

This schedule worked for me here in NC

Dec Jan Feb - Frame up planes
March April May - Cover and paint framed up planes
Jun July Aug - Fly and stock up the shop for the winter.
Sep Oct Nov- Cover and paint

AmishWarlord 04-17-2011 01:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I moved to a new place and up graded from 200 sq f work shop to a 700 sq f one. Still working on getting it set up. Almost finished with the 4'x8' magnetic torsion box work bench. Still have to finish construction on the balsa cabinet/ helicopter work bench that you see the Cloud Dancer resting on. Got the new shelving installed last week. What was nice was that the guy that build this house originally was a cabinet maker so the workshop has tons of lighting installed and electrical outlets every two feet around all four walls. Plus some 220 v connections.

CRAZYRYAN 04-17-2011 08:04 AM

wow keep them comming for the shop pics! it has been 8 years on this thread and still alive lol. im the creator!!!!!

CRAZYRYAN 04-19-2011 05:18 AM

Thanks!! I started it. i cant believe its been 8 years on this thread lol.

Oberst 04-23-2011 02:02 PM

No it's a mess! I'd be embarrassed.

Pete

DUCO 04-23-2011 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow all these really neat man caves, heres my little side of a work shop in the garage, oh yea, the wife still insist that a vehicle is allowed in. But it suits not having to use the dinning room table. Does get cold in the winter and hot in the summer. But soon I will have all that worked out, I plan to sheetrock and add more lighting plus heat/air soon and the car will go to the driveway!!!!!!!http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/devious.gif

Leroy Gardner 05-20-2011 07:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Man there are alot fo nice shops out there. lets see what kind of a mess I have in mine:) Leroy

Condor060 05-21-2011 05:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made a new shop a few weeks ago but this one is mobile.

welder101 05-21-2011 06:51 PM

WOW, that is nice

WILDCRASHWILLY 08-03-2011 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You guys may remember a post I had on this thread several years ago wher I remodeled my shop. Well I finally decided to tear it down and build a new shop. This shop is a little more friendly to my Model Airplane addiction.

WILDCRASHWILLY 08-03-2011 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some more pics.

BTW: I want to thank everyone who posted here as this thread is where most of the ideas for this shop came from.

saramos 08-03-2011 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I too posted my workshop here a long time ago. While I haven't remodeled, I do have a new addition to the shop. I added a CNC machine at the begining of June. I haven't cut any aircraft parts yet, but have cut a couple of signs and a sand paper organizer. I'm already learning the areas where I want to make improvements to the machine. There is some flex that is noticable when working with thicker and harder stock that I want to resolve. It wll do for cutting balsa and light ply and I also want to eventually be able to cut foam for making plugs and molds and wood forms for vacuum forming.

Scott