Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Toy-Grade RC Products
Reload this Page >

How to repair? Is it even possible?

Community
Search
Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

How to repair? Is it even possible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 06:37 AM
Garlax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to repair? Is it even possible?

Hi all,

I have been reading the site and I know that adding new RC parts to your toy RC cars tends to end up with more problems where more money needs to be thrown at the toy. An example seems to be more powerful parts meaning the plastic costs gets destroyed. Rest assured I do not want to improve the performance capabilities here.

A little background info. The toy car I have used to belong to my grandad. This is not a recent thing as he died approximately 30 years ago and I imagine he got the car within the 5 years prior to that. I have been cleaning some stuff out of my spare room that I got when my mum downsized to a bungalow and this toy RC is part of it. The car is one of the things in there.

I would like to know if it is possible to fix it so that it will work again. At the minute I don't know what is wrong with it either. With brand new batteries there is absolutely no power. I have opened up what I can and don't see any damage on wires, nothing seems to be loose or detached.

I assume I have 2 options but please let me know if I am missing something. I don't think the company are still making this particular model. Surprisingly, I did find car on a few websites but it was out of stock. I don't imagine a new batch will be incoming.

1) Try to find the car 2nd hand and use parts from there. I live in the UK and believe I have found one but it is in the US.

2) Buy another toy car and swap over parts. I am assuming here that most basic toy cars won't have hugely differing parts inside in terms of ability but new cars now compared against a car from the 80s?

I don't know the scale of the car and have no box and no manual. Knowing my grandad and how much he loved to get value for money I would assume this was maybe 2nd hand to him as I know many of the toys I played with as a child at his house were. With that in mind I have also learnt that same quality and don't want to waste money on this as I know that would have angered him but I would like to try and get it to work.

It seems I can't post the photos I took until I reach 10 posts. It is a SUNCON Lamborghini 5000QV.

Any advice?

Thanks

Garlax

Old 04-09-2020, 05:36 AM
Tiogaplanet

I recently came here looking for help much like you. I wish you the best in your endeavors. I'll update my own thread shortly but I had to very carefully repair a broken steering knuckle on a 1:10 scale truck. Investigating the circuit board revealed physical damage in the form of pulled up solder points and traces. Rather than even test to see if it still works, I pulled the circuit board from an ultra cheap RC car my son had. The cheap board was a quarter the size of the original to the point that it looks silly sitting in the old board's place. But along with the radio for the cheap car and the circuit board transplanted into the truck everything worked. You might consider something similar.

Where is the one you found in the US?

Good luck.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:36 AM
RainbowStalin

I'm a bit lazy. So, if I were you, I would just take it to the service center, LOL.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:35 AM
Garlax

Originally Posted by Tiogaplanet
I recently came here looking for help much like you. I wish you the best in your endeavors. I'll update my own thread shortly but I had to very carefully repair a broken steering knuckle on a 1:10 scale truck. Investigating the circuit board revealed physical damage in the form of pulled up solder points and traces. Rather than even test to see if it still works, I pulled the circuit board from an ultra cheap RC car my son had. The cheap board was a quarter the size of the original to the point that it looks silly sitting in the old board's place. But along with the radio for the cheap car and the circuit board transplanted into the truck everything worked. You might consider something similar.

Good luck.
That is useful thanks. Although I have been unable to find the same car in the UK I have found a car that is slightly smaller but does look to be the same brand but the dimensions are not the same. I am hoping after what you have been through that maybe shifting some of the parts that would be relatively cheap on to my old car to see if it will work.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:38 AM
Garlax

Originally Posted by RainbowStalin
I'm a bit lazy. So, if I were you, I would just take it to the service center, LOL.
Oh if only I could. I have spoken with others to look for places that may be able to do some testing and hopefully fix or at the very least tell me what is broken so that I knew which part it was. Seems around me there is nothing like that.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:44 AM
Garlax

Originally Posted by Tiogaplanet
The one I was looking at the other day I can't find at the minute but there is something similar in New York. That will be a last resort I imagine although I am in a group on facebook that helps to import from US and share the shipping cost which reduces it.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:36 AM
Williammus

Default -

Hi thanks for the guide.

Ive a slightly different problem in that it affected my "Disk 0", but that wasnt my boot disk.

How do I run your MBR repair on a secondary disk it is internal?
Old 08-29-2021, 04:32 PM
krispy378

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you clean the on/off switch contacts etc..Battery terminals? Try sliding the switch back and forth and stop it like 1/2 way and see if you get anything, a red led flash, a twitch of the motor or steering. I would start there. Also, check with a multimeter if you have voltage from the battery compartment, to the switch to the pcb...
Old 03-31-2022, 04:49 AM
mzanzirc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck. I'm always on the lookout for a RC that needs rescue.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:53 AM
Andy54