Notices
Toy-Grade RC Products Post in here about toy-grade rc products and the mods you''re making to them. These typically fall in the sub $100 range.

Charging Micro Helo Problems

Old 05-12-2009, 05:07 AM
tommygun32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging Micro Helo Problems

Hi Guys,

I'm sure you've seen one of these before. It's a cheap-OH Chinese made micro helo. It's only a couple of bucks and I know, you get what you pay for. They break easy and all that, but can be quite a bit of fun.

Here's the problem though. The charging plug just doesn't want to stay connected. Is there any way I can jerry rig this thing so I don't have to sit there physically holding the plug to keep it in place. I've tried rubber bands, wedging it, etc....not working.

I'm thinking to just get another lead and soldering the wires to the two recepticle pins. Could this work?

Taking this thing apart and replacing the plug isn't an option as it's styrofoam that's been glued together.

As always, thank you for your thoughts and experience.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:10 AM
yaleforscale
Banned

Default RE: Charging Micro Helo Problems

hi and welcome , without seeing the model it hard to give advice but i think i know the type of helicopter you are talking about , something like the pico z the only option is to replace the plugs with micro deans they are made for such small scale models and give a much better conection , hope this helps ..[link]http://www.wsdeans.com/products/plugs/micro_plug.html[/link]....
Old 05-12-2009, 09:16 PM
KE4QPF

My suggestion would be to purchase a panel mount DC jack from the local RadShack, yank out the jack that's already there to expose the leads, cut that jack off (noting polarity, of course), solder the new DC jack to those leads, then seating the new DC jack into the hole where the old jack was using either screws through the panel mount flange plate holes or some plastic epoxy.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:36 AM
tommygun32

Brain block....my bad. Forgot to post the pics[:@]

Here they are.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85677.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	1197146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19940.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	1197147  
Old 05-13-2009, 06:41 AM
neyou86
My Feedback: (2)

try putting some epoxy on the connector then let it dry. it should make the fit tighter