Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Starts and tries to move but goes no ware?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 09:40 AM
SirRyan135

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starts and tries to move but goes no ware?

I am new and have not had this revo 3.3 very long only on second tank since traxxas sent me a new motor under warranty. Now the truck will not go.I have tightened the slipper clutch and it is tight (not sure if it could have got to tight) Truck was working great then I took a jump and could not see the truck on the other side and noticed I did not have throttle control. Got to the truck and it was reving up good so Ikilled it and took it over and found a piece of plastic some how was in the carb holding it open. Iworked it free and it feel into the motor so then I took the motor off and go the piece out. Istarts up and rans great still but does not go any ware. It tries to move in both fwd and reverse but once you start to get on it the motor just revs. Not sure I something in the transmission might be toast or not. Ipulled the plug on top of the tranny and the gears are moving in there and look ok at least the one that I can see. Ialso have held the truck up and slowly got on it and the wheels get to spinning just great. Let me know if you guy have any ideas.

Thanks

Ryan
Old 03-20-2011, 10:18 AM
huey267

Default RE: Starts and tries to move but goes no ware?

Hey Ryan...If this occured after a jump sounds like it might be the spur gear bro...check it out and let me know...Semper Fi
Old 03-20-2011, 11:45 AM
SirRyan135

spur gear and then the main gear before slipper cluch spin, The shaft for the slipper cluch spins but the tires don't spin. If I hold it off the ground the tires spin as long as I get on it slowly. I took the tranny off and it looked ok did not see any bad gears. But when I had the tranny off and put it back together and spun the main gear (the one the spur gear spins) the sharft coming out to go to the drive shafts spun. When I put it back together same thing was happening. The break was a little hard to get back on where the drive shaft comes into it but it does seem to spin ok. Not sure if Imissed something in the tranny? Keep the ideas coming.

Thank You,

Ryan

Old 03-20-2011, 12:40 PM
huey267

ok now take a good look at the spur gear...the big black plastic gear..(prob 72 tooth) that comes off the transmission and has a spring and a nut on it...take a good look at the teeth and see if they are intact... if they are rounded off...the small metal gear..ie clutch bell will not be able to turn the spur gear which in turns your transmission and will prevent it from going forward or backward...just what im thinking and is most common thing I can think of when it wont move forward or backwards...
Old 03-20-2011, 06:02 PM
rc md

most likely the spur gear,check the motor mount screws"the two for motor adjustment"they might have came loose on impact
Old 03-20-2011, 06:15 PM
SirRyan135

huey,

Both of the gears are spinning.  I have even looked in the top port of the tranny and the gear I can see is spining.

rc md,

I have adjusted this to make sure good contact and it seem good.

I am really leaning toward the tranny having a issue.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:47 AM
pure speed:]

bet somebody overtightened the slipper and cooked your top gear the part # 5383 close ratio 5384 standard 5385 wide ratio it a $7.50 part i think everyone thats had a revo has done this lol
Old 03-21-2011, 07:43 AM
jands29
My Feedback: (2)

Yeah same thing happened to me on the weekend. Before going for a drive, I tightened the spur gear and it was running fine. Then I adjusted the transmission to shift later and right after that it started doing what your is, everything spins (spur, clutch etc) but it does not move, just rev's high. I took out the tranny (which is almost brand new off ebay) and turned it manually and it appeared to work fine.

Then I heard a rattling from within. Took it apart.  All the gears are perfect, but there is a very small pinion that appears to be broken off. Cant find where it came from but obviously from within the tranny.  I put it back together and reinstalled it, no luck Its toast, but probably fixable.

I threw in my spare tranny and it goes just fine. I'm assuming I overtightened the slipper. Maybe check to see it u had a pin break off. When I get home I will take a photo and post it.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:46 AM
jands29
My Feedback: (2)

K just looked at a photo of Traxxas part number 5383 just as PureSpeed posted. Looks like I definately broke one of those mall pinions off the gear. At least I know I can fix it, it's fairley cheap

Local Hobby Shop also said there is a pin in the middle gear shaft of this transmittion that is known for breaking as well. It is held in my a 1/2 ring on the shaft, and that ring was partly off when I opened the tranny so it may just be that part as well
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ca80214.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	1581999  
Old 03-21-2011, 10:52 AM
DEKUM510

Go for some steel gears. RRP, wont happen again..
Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 PM
SirRyan135

It was not a gear I found the issue it was the shifting gear that has the pin through it and you put the clamp (kind of like a C lamp) on it.  It broke that pin in there.  I did order a new tranny.  But I tried to temp fix this one with a small nail not sure if it is going to work and now my motor will not start?  The piston is very tight on the top of its stroke not sure what that mean?  I had the motor tore down looking to see what is going on but don't see anything?  Let me know if any of you have a idea.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:39 PM
SirRyan135

Just to cold out.  Got it fired up and it is going again.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:25 PM
traxxas_guy11

This happened with my revo also, the peice that you saw is probaly part of your center differential. all the fluid leaks out and the gears grind together and then are toast.  this could be your problem if your even running a CD  i have since switched to a direct drive just fro simlicity sake.  hope this helps, if not, sorry for wasting your time.