Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Odd steering behavior dual servo

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 06:25 AM
Mr Trial and Error

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd steering behavior dual servo

Hello I am new here on the forum so be gentle :-)

I mess around with my E-maxx it started as a 3903 brushed version.
The problem I have with the car now and the problem that I have not been able to find an explanation for, is this when I turn on the car it seems everything is ok, but the first time I turn right or left it keeps on turning alternately between left and right even if remote control is in the center position is there anyone who has an idea of what is the cause of it ???

Currently the car is running with dual servo Towerpro MG995 and standard Traxxas steering setup
there is a brushless motor 1500kv
ESC 120A
lipo 4cell
The transmitter and receiver are HK-GT2 2.4 GHz
Old 08-04-2015, 04:15 AM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you turn on the truck, the wheels are centered. Then you turn the Tx wheel the wheels turn, return Tx to center and the wheels then continue moving back and forth between left and right correct? How much to they move? Are they going lock to lock or just twitching? Does it stop right away or last a certain period of time?

If they are twitching then you either have a problem with interference, the servos fighting each other or a problem with your radio. Prop up the truck so the front wheels are off the ground. Turn the truck on, are the steering servos buzzing? Turn the Tx wheel to a position about halfway in the travel and hold it, do you get servo buzzing? If tbe servos are buzzing then they are fighting each other and you need to adjust the steering link that joins them to stop the buzzing. This would be especially true if your new servos didn't use the factory servo horns and you swapped them out.

Since you changed servos I'd also readjust the servo end points. End points are how far servo travel and can be adjusted for both left and right. Before doing that make sure you're starting from scratch. Take off the servo horns, make sure the Tx steering trim is centered. Center the wheels as much as possible and reinstall the servo horns. Center the wheels with the trim. Now adjust the end points by turning the Tx wheel to lock and adjust the end point so the servo achieves maximum mechanical steering lock but isn't struggling trying to achieve more steering angle. If the servo is buzzing at maximum lock with the wheels off the ground you need to dial back the endpoint, the servo should be quiet at maximum lock.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:58 AM
Mr Trial and Error

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ Maj_Ovedrive

Thanks for the reply all help is welcome :-)

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
So you turn on the truck, the wheels are centered. Then you turn the Tx wheel the wheels turn, return Tx to center and the wheels then continue moving back and forth between left and right correct?
Yes

They are going lock to lock, and it last for about 10 to 15 sec.
They are not twitching or fighting each other there is no buzzing from the servos

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
If they are twitching then you either have a problem with interference, the servos fighting each other or a problem with your radio. Prop up the truck so the front wheels are off the ground. Turn the truck on, are the steering servos buzzing? Turn the Tx wheel to a position about halfway in the travel and hold it, do you get servo buzzing? If tbe servos are buzzing then they are fighting each other and you need to adjust the steering link that joins them to stop the buzzing. This would be especially true if your new servos didn't use the factory servo horns and you swapped them out.

Since you changed servos I'd also readjust the servo end points. End points are how far servo travel and can be adjusted for both left and right. Before doing that make sure you're starting from scratch. Take off the servo horns, make sure the Tx steering trim is centered. Center the wheels as much as possible and reinstall the servo horns. Center the wheels with the trim. Now adjust the end points by turning the Tx wheel to lock and adjust the end point so the servo achieves maximum mechanical steering lock but isn't struggling trying to achieve more steering angle. If the servo is buzzing at maximum lock with the wheels off the ground you need to dial back the endpoint, the servo should be quiet at maximum lock.
I have some experience in setting up different types of rc monster trucks and i have checked and done all of the above
I have used this steering setup all summer (10-12 weeks) with no problems at all and then out of the blue it gets a mind of its own.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well gotta cover all the bases. Knowing that it was fine then all the sudden started doing this helps. Have you changed any of the servo or motor wire routing? I still doubt it's interference, I'd examine the servo wires closely for damage, even sharp turns.

I'm thinking bad servo or receiver though. What radio, stock traxxas TQi? Try disconnecting a servo and see if the symptoms persists, then the other servo. If the symptoms stop after disconnecting a servo then that's probably a bad servo. Try the good servo in the same port on the receiver the bad servo was in to make sure it's not the receiver. And try the bad servo in the receiver port the good servo was in. If it turns out there's a bad port in the receiver you could just buy a Y harness and plug into the good port instead of buying a new receiver.