Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Had a run in with a bush...err two.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had a run in with a bush...err two.

Well today was my first real crash. Sadly it wasnt because of driver error...i swear But i do have some questions and pictures for you guys so here i go. Hope you can help me.

Well i just got around to installing my sirio bb pipe and let me tell you...WOW [X(] my maxx screams now! So i got some pictures to see if i installed it correctly...i think i did because it ran fine today besides the antenae falling off but thats comin. So i get it out there and it has been extremely cold lately...like 15 degrees and today its like 40 so i start it up and it screams to life...wow LOUD! Then i give it a little gas and it stalls so i richen it a little and keep doing this about 3-4 times till i get it perfectly. While i was doing this i was running it with the body off. Well it finally is running good and all of a sudden it gets 10 feet away from me and goes full throttle off of a ledge in my yard...about a 3 ft drop, i live next to woods,...and into a bush. I was laughing my ass off...seriously. Only because the motor died. So i walk over and pry it out of the bush and find that the only damage is a mangled front RPM bumper...heh so i get a new one anyways. So i checked over all the structural comps and confirmed that was the only damage. Well i made one mistake there...didnt check the electronics. So i figured it was a freak accident and started it up and went the other way...10 ft away again it pegs the throttle and goes into a thorn bush...well this time i was a little scared because the engine kept revving at full speed for like 5 seconds while i ran over there and it overheated and started to smoke/steam so i pinched the fuel line. Still no damage besides the front bumper which took no additional damage...through this experience ive learned that bushes are very forgiving...unlike curbs Well i get it inside and check it over again and notice my antenae is gone. Well that is the culprit for the problems. Ok here comes the questions.

I will provide some pictures to go along with my story soon.

1. Do you think i installed my sirio bb pipe right?
2. My truck was flooded with WD40 and wouldnt start so i left it there a couple days figure the engine could benefit from it...but i left the fuel in the tank and all. Would that have hurt my engine?
3. Should i use/find the old antenae or should i buy a new one?
4. Would my engine have been damaged from overheating?
5. And lastly how can i get my free front bumper from RPM...do i have to send it in to them?

Thanks a lot guys! Hope you enjoyed my story...and soon to come pictures. If you need any additional info just ask.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Had a run in with a bush...err two.

1. There is only one way to install it, so if it's tight and secure then it's alright.
2. WD40 won't hurt your engine, but old fuel looses it's potentcy if not sealed. Shouldn't hurt your engine, just won't run as well.
3. If your antenna keeps coming out of your reciever, then you may need a new reciever, unless you are very confident that you can take the reciever apart and fix it yourself. It's up to you and your abilities.
4. Overheating any engine is extremely bad for it, and can mean death in a R/C engine. But if it was only for a few seconds then it should be ok. Just don't make a habbit of it.
5. Call RPM or e-mail them. They will give you instructions on what to do.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:50 PM

Ok thanks. There was nothing i could do to stop it from over heating. I have a huge yard and it just had the throttle pegged and was about 100ft away from me but it started to smoke a lot when i got over there. Thats when i shut it off. When the engine does finally go ca-put do all i have to do is buy an engine rebuild kit? Im guessing it has some o rings/gaskets and a piston and sleeve.

Oh and my bro broke the keyboard on my other comp so i cant get the pics uploaded right now. But my antenae was severed so i dont think i could make it better without soldering on a new one.
Old 02-21-2004, 03:29 AM
Banned

if you can solder i would suggest putting on a new antenna its a lot cheaper dont use the old one unless its in really good condition. smoke and steam doesnt always ,mean the engine is over heated it can also mean debris has gotten stuck to it i.e. smoke or water or some sort of liquid has gotten to the engines outside ie steam. the first thing to go if you ever heat is the glow plug which isnt oing to kill your engine if it was a short time. i figure since you rrunning a sirio bb pipe your also running the sirio .18 that is a very togh engine no matter what anyone says mines gone through the hardest five gallons ive ever put an engine through and it still makes my truck suicidal. to keep your antenna from getting rip ped of in the future either bend it back like traxxas's slayden does see www.traxxas.com or keep it under the bodu this works well if you have something like a humvee bodyor suburban.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the info. I opted to stick with the trx because i am new to rc cars and nitro and i wanted to hop up other parts of my maxx. Thanks for the advice i will get a new one. Do they sell engine rebuild kits though?
Old 02-24-2004, 10:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes
Old 02-24-2004, 10:31 PM

K thanks.
Old 02-25-2004, 07:59 PM

3. Should i use/find the old antenae or should i buy a new one?
Do you mean the plastic antenna tube with the wire in it? or did the wire rip out of the receiver itself?

My tube came off the first few days i drove it, fixed it by simply buying a new one, putting it on, and tying a knot on the end so it would stay put