Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

T-Maxx or E-Maxx, do they live up to the hype?

Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

T-Maxx or E-Maxx, do they live up to the hype?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 04:27 AM
RCautohouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-Maxx or E-Maxx, do they live up to the hype?

I am interested in buying two Maxx's, my only decision is if I should go Electric or Nitro. I have two electric 4-TEC's and two electric Rustlers. So for 3 years I have been charging batteries but having to spend little on the cars themselves. Plus I get to run on two beautiful indoor tracks, one off-road and the other on-road, in Huntington Beach.

I am looking to sell all my current R/C cars and accessories in order to buy two Maxx's. My wife and I enjoy the hobbie but could only afford two Maxx's if we sell all my current stuff.

So being I have never run, tuned, cleaned, a nitro car, what kind of problems can I ran into that I didnt run into with electric cars? I have never broken any of my cars or any parts. I see in this forum alot of people having issues with engines and breaking stuff. I always see people at the hobby shop bringing in gas cars to have them fixed and tuned.

I understand these trucks take more abuse and have more power and speed, so what is normal to have to spend after you buy the trucks for the T-Maxx or E-Maxx?

Check out my website to see the cars I am selling at www.angelfire.com/sports/rcautohouse/

[link=http://www.angelfire.com/sports/rcautohouse/]RC Autohouse[/link]
Old 02-24-2004, 01:58 PM
Weirdboy

Default RE: T-Maxx or E-Maxx, do they live up to the hype?

I've had a t-maxx for about a year now, and i love it. the amount of money you put into it depends if you jump it, or the way you treat them. i love jumping my t-maxx, so i've put at least $400 into aluminum and titanium parts. the t-maxx handles really well, as long as u brake on turns. it will take quite a beating with all stock parts, but it looks cooler with upgraded parts. you have to do maintenance on it too, like oiling the engine every once in a while. i myself have a rustler, and i know what it feels like to use an electric. count on breaking some parts since you race, but that wont run you too much money.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:25 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

My Maxx-

I was a little unhappy with reliability in stock form... Now it is probably my favorite Nitro out of my collection. I dunno why, it isn't the fastest or the strongest, it is just the most fun to me. It always starts easily, it runs perfectly, and it never breaks.

If you consider a Maxx, I think you should consider-

RPM A arms/bulkhead spacers/shock towers/skidplates ($80 total) - this is a LIFETIME guarantee against breakage. LIFETIME. Stuff is amazing strong, and looks really cool (blue/purple/dyeable)

Front/rear aluminum skidplates ($40/pr)- REALLY strengthens the vulnerable skidplate-bulkhead junction.

It's all about the ying and yang with nitro vs. electric. What you have to pay extra for, and the extra tuning and parts of nitros balances with the higher speed and more fun you will have learning and driving.

Do it!
Old 02-24-2004, 06:00 PM
homelessduck101
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

YES THEY DO.

-Dallas
Old 02-25-2004, 12:49 AM
RCautohouse

I made a decision.

Okay I have decided to get two T-Maxx's. Thanks for the information it really helps to hear the type of upgrades and cost for those upgrades. Should I buy new or used ? Used I could get a good deal but how knows if engine has been taken care of. New I could just afford two trucks with the needed to run accessories. No $$$ for upgrades though.

I am selling my 4 electric cars and my birthday was monday, I should collect enough for two machines. The two 4 Tecs are already sold as of today. Now just have to sell my two electric rustlers. Anyone in Los Angeles county or ebayers interested just check out my website.
R/C Autohouse

Nelson

[link=http://www.angelfire.com/sports/rcautohouse/]R C Autohouse[/link]
Old 02-26-2004, 10:25 AM
Weirdboy

dude, get them new. you dont want to trust a used engine. it might have something wrong with it, and you might not notice it at first. if u have a job, u can get $$$ and try not to break it before u have money. by the way, happy birthday!
Old 02-26-2004, 03:48 PM
caseyddr
My Feedback: (13)

get an emaxx, much better :-/ if ya wanna hear bout it i'll tell ya why, but I'm not gonna waste time if you arleayd got two tmaxxes.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:27 PM
nitro 4-tec

dude e maxxs are GAY! they suck i had one and a t-maxx is everything its not how do i know i had one and it was slow i almost fell asleep drivin it E-MAXXS ARE GAY PERIOD.......[>:]
Old 02-26-2004, 07:32 PM
Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: caseyddr

get an emaxx, much better :-/ if ya wanna hear bout it i'll tell ya why, but I'm not gonna waste time if you arleayd got two tmaxxes.
Nitros are fun... period. Electric doesn't get me too excited at all, but when I crank the motor over and smell the nitro burning, along with the smell, the smoke, and the speed... It takes me to a better place.

It is more difficult, but more rewarding to me.

Casey, you cannot deny the fun and appeal of Nitro. I had the choice of electric or nitro, and I feel if I chose Electric, I would have been out of the hobby again already. The nitro ignited a passion in me of some sort, and makes RC so fun, I can't even explain it.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:54 PM
caseyddr

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

ORIGINAL: caseyddr

Nitros are fun... period. Electric doesn't get me too excited at all, but when I crank the motor over and smell the nitro burning, along with the smell, the smoke, and the speed... It takes me to a better place.

It is more difficult, but more rewarding to me.

Casey, you cannot deny the fun and appeal of Nitro. I had the choice of electric or nitro, and I feel if I chose Electric, I would have been out of the hobby again already. The nitro ignited a passion in me of some sort, and makes RC so fun, I can't even explain it.
I love nitro, but when comparing Tmaxx vs Emaxx, I will take an Emaxx ANYDAY. At least the drivetrain in an emaxx can handle anything you put in it :-/ but I wont prove why emaxx is better I love both, but if I'm driving nitro, its going to be 8th scale, all other nitros dont comprae. The Tmaxx is a broken toy compared to a Storm UT or Savage, and especially MGT.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:48 PM
Dale Gribble

Let's stop right there. Here we go with the opinionated proverbial fuel for the fire. That is completely unneccesary.

Traxxas assumed the risk, Traxxas innovated the market, and the others followed their lead. Savage and MGT both use T-Maxx wheels and tires, and the Savage can share bodies with the Maxx. What does that tell you? Traxxas was the first, they set the standard upon which others would be judged. Your Savage and MGT may not have had the market they share now if it weren't for the Maxx.

Do you think HPI and Assoc would have spent the reseach R&D for a smaller enthusiast crowd? No way. Traxxas set the bar by penetrating the mainstream market and proved there was a multi, multi million dollar MT niche in the industry.

The Savage, MGT, Storm are simply evolutions of a revolution Traxxas started. Traxxas now suffers from being somewhat antiquated, but not without it's right. It is the founding father of the modern MT's.

The Maxx is a great truck, and not a toy by any means. Keep your negatively biased comments away from those enthusiasts looking to enter the MT niche with a Maxx and just try and help them when they have problems. Just celebrate that a new Nitro enthusiast will enter the ranks, and help perpetuate nitro RC further and further in the future.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:30 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice lecture Professor Gribble. Seriously, nicely stated.
Old 02-26-2004, 10:45 PM
caseyddr

lol your a traxxas worker i bet I said the emaxx was better and could point out why I believe this, and you go on a huge rant defending traxxas... I like the emaxx, just guess traxxas isn't the company that makes them... man I'm lost!

Also just becuase traxxas did it first doesn't mean it wouldn't have been done. oh and HPI would have spent the "R&D" as they aren't even a serious race company, more along the lines of fun.

Also how is the storm a side track of the Tmaxx? its a Truggy, 8th scale buggy to a truck... you make no sense in this matter.

The savage also, totally different design, only thing it shares with the tmaxx is the 8 shock setup wow they are so alike!

Also, all these RC cars ARE toys, like it or not
Old 02-26-2004, 11:23 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry to bust in on your argument but Mr. Gribble's post was so true and well thought out that I feel I must defend it.
If you look in his signature, you will see that he has more than one brand of R/C. In all the comparisons of his that I've read, he always tries to keep his evaluations fair and balanced.
The name of this thread is "T-maxx or E-maxx, do they live up to the hype?", and Dale was pointing out the profound signifigance that the Traxxas T/E maxx has had on the MT market share.
Maybe someone else would have done it if Traxxas didn't, but the fact of the matter is that Traxxas DID do it first.
He didn't say that the Storm or Savage were "side tracks" of the Maxx, or even that they were "alike". He was saying that Traxxas revolutionized the market and other manufacturers followed suit.
When an innovative product is released, other companys take that idea and change or modify it as they see needed to create their own unique and possibly better design. That is the heart of capitalism.
Without the Maxx trucks, the MT market share of R/C probably wouldn't be as large and varied as it is today.
Ultimately, they are all toys, but there is a big difference between "toy R/Cs" and "hobby R/Cs".
Old 02-27-2004, 03:08 AM
Dale Gribble

Casey-

You take key words and make generalizations without comprehending what I am really trying to say. It's almost like we are in two different conversations.

I remember a buddy of mine said "Ya, you listen to Jimmy Hendrix, but I HEAR Jimmy Hendrix". You understand?

I think you read what I write, but don't get what I mean. JefX gets it (thanks for the props BTW). I am sure others get it. Read again and try to not only read but understand what I am saying.

Jefx summed up exactly what I would have responded with, so I know I communicated exactly what I wanted to, and you just missed my point.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:53 AM
drdenny
My Feedback: (1)

I have to agree with Dale. I just bought a T-Maxx two weeks ago, and did alot of research before purchasing. If you have something that works fine, why mess with it? I'm sure that Traxxas knew they had a winner, and so do all of the aftermarket companies who produce millions of neat parts/accessories for the Maxx.
As time goes by, technology is constantly improving. I wonder how many times that the guys at HPI and other companies had a T-Maxx apart so they could get their hands wet????
Old 02-27-2004, 09:12 AM
tzque

I bought my emaxx two months ago and was thrilled by it until 10 minutes into my run my nephews Savage blew by me and ran for another 20 minutes while I changed batteries. The next day I had a Savage 25
The emaxx is a great electric MT and in the realm of Electric MT it is one of the best . It , in stock form ,it will run circles around my Clodbuster .the problem is is the power . It is so strong you dont get alot of run time .
My suggestion to anyone thinking about getting into the hobby or transitioning into Nitro is to get a Nitro truck, what ever your preference and the Stampede . The run time on the stamped is much longer , you dont have to charge or change as many batteries and it is a fun little truck .
I would never sell my Emaxx but for another 79.00 I should have just went Nitro the first time and bought 139.00 Stampede for cooling down periods.
This is not a knock of the emaxx, so emaxx lovers no need to attack , I am just saying your money could be better spent based upon the cost of the emaxx compared to the run time you get out of it . My suggestion is two nitro trucks T-Maxx and Savage or Nitro MT and stampede .
Old 02-27-2004, 03:50 PM
caseyddr

dale i Dont think you get the point, U jumped into defense when I was conparing the two trucks that "revolutionized" the category. I was comparing the Emaxx and Tmaxx, then you go into a defense for them both. what the hell man? Learn to "hear" me instead of "reading" me, as you said it. As I said it once, Just because traxxas did it first, doesnt mean somebody else wouldnt have at all... this is all opinions, and look where the TMaxx is heading now, down hill. They (traxxas) does still clinch the electric category though as its only competition is the Twin Force (bleh).
Old 02-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Nitroaddict

Okay everyone, lets all calm down here. Everyone has made his comments, regardless if you agree or not, they are entilted to them, so back off.

On a side note - Casey, what I think Dale means when referring to the fact that the TMAXX is the founding father of the MT market is that they were the first, true RTR mass produced, mass marketed, and mass hopup optioned truck out there. The others became part of this genre based upon the TMAXX success. Is the Savage just like a tmaxx? Of course not, but without the Tmaxx becoming so popular, it is doubtful that the savage would have ever been invented.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:18 PM
caseyddr

Nitro I understand what he was saying, but it was so off topic to what I posted. I didn't tell the guy to buy a savage, or a different brand truck.
Old 02-27-2004, 04:24 PM
Dale Gribble

He jus went on some defensive rant like I was bashing the Tmaxx.
I am not sure where I would get such an idea.

The Tmaxx is a broken toy compared to a Storm UT or Savage, and especially MGT.