Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

May sound dumb but custom pvc exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 05:49 PM
homelessduck101
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May sound dumb but custom pvc exhaust?

Just wondering if it would work. Ive got some crazy ideas and just wanna try it before makin the real deal.
Will it decrease my power?

-Dallas
Old 02-25-2004, 03:15 PM
teamstress

Default RE: May sound dumb but custom pvc exhaust?

I think you might lose power. Two stroke engines work better with some sort of tuned pipe. Whether tuned for low end,long pipe, or high end,shorter pipe. Just look at any racing 2-strokes in go-carts or bikes. If anything it will probably be really loud, which may or may not be good.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:35 PM
t-maxx homie 369

pvc for an exhaust no offense but thats kind ghetto
Old 02-25-2004, 08:48 PM
homelessduck101
Banned
My Feedback: (-1)

Oh thats kinda what im lookin for,lol

-Dallas
Old 02-25-2004, 09:51 PM
mrjason82

I think PVC has too low of a melting temperature...put your hand on your exhaust manifold next time you run you car/truck and then tell me what you think.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:13 AM
jettman

you could try copper tubing. as a matter of fact I've seen some pipes like that being sold on Ebay. just check around

You will definitely lose alot of power. You'd be strong at high RPM but the engine wouldn't do squat at low RPM.

Jettman
Old 02-26-2004, 12:52 AM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go ahead and make some Frankenstien pipes (no offense, but that's pretty much what they'll be), post the pics when your done. It makes me chuckle when people think that they can make "a better pipe" from household items and tubing. The curves, expansion chambers, and size of a pipe are specifically engineered to increase power in a 2-stroke engine. I think that alot of people don't realize just how specific these pipes are, and what they actually do to your engine. Reputable pipe manufacturers put alot of research and development into their pipes to optimize power output. The same caliber performance cannot be achieved with pvc and duct tape.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:30 PM
wheels ground
Banned

Ok the curves in a pipe dont do squat but slow exhaust flow which can make torque but so can making and exhaust shorter you could very easily make a tuned exhaust from copper you would just have to weld some washers to the ends and then experiment ive been toying with the idea my self for running open manifold. And for the design and engineering exhuast companies put in the certainly make crap for product the technology the use is stone age just take a look at any 2 stroke motor cycle with a decent exhaust youll notice a big difference in the enginering and technology. This is what frustrates me with rc exhaust desighners they claim and hype but all there exhaust are the same one of them needs to make a real exhaust system till then i know i can make a better one from say copper tube if i put my mind to it only problem is i dont have a way of welding the washers wonder if high heat solder would work.Sorry to be so gruf but im sck of the exhaust out for r/c's i want the world of 2 stroke racing brought to my tmaxx!
Old 02-26-2004, 11:46 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you think that these pipes aren't at the height of technology then your fooling yourself. A 2-stroke engine is a very simple design and only so much can be done with exhaust. All proven pipe manufacturers try to squeeze every last ounce of power out of an engine that they can get, so that they stay competitive. If there were a better design, they'd be all over it. In the end it's all about money, and people buy the products that work.
If you think you can do it better by soldering washers and copper pipe together, then more power to you. 'nuff said.