Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

I may have toasted my engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I may have toasted my engine

I have been running my T-Maxx without problems. I had to tweak here and there but not much. A guy at my local track told me I was running it too rich and leaned it out. This guy has his own repair shop. I ran it the rest of the day no problem. I took the truck out again and it didn't run right, stalling, loss of power. I ran it around a little bit then I took it out today and it would not start. It was making a weird clackety sound and not starting up. I replaced the glow plug that was a little browned on the bottom. I still have the same problem. I put the EZ start on it and it will turn and turn but not start. Do you think the engine is toasted. I hope not. Any suggestions?
Old 02-27-2004, 06:05 PM

Default RE: I may have toasted my engine

If you have a glow ignitor you could try to use the glow plug ignitor on the plug instead of the EZ-start glow plug ignitor. for some reason that part of my EZ-start ignitor died, but, the EZstart motor still turns the engine over on me about a month ago. I got an ignitor and it works fine.

Just some thing to look at and make sure of before you spend alot of money on a new engine.

Later,
Jettman
Old 02-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Banned

your engine might not be toasted. Check the compression by putting you finger underneath your truck ans try spinning the bell gear on the motor for a while...it should sping with some force but after a little rotation it should get tougher and tougher until it turns over the motor and you hear a fart (lol) out the exhaust. if it spins freely w/o this then you have no compression and would need to rebuild or replace. Its always good to check your temperature of your motor whilst running making sure it doesnt go over 270 degrees. aslo try puttin the motor back to stock settings and starting over. I believe its 4 full turns out on the high end and i believe flush on low end but im not sure correct me if im wrong somebody. goodluck
Old 02-27-2004, 09:54 PM

ORIGINAL: coupedit03

your engine might not be toasted. Check the compression by putting you finger underneath your truck ans try spinning the bell gear on the motor for a while...it should sping with some force but after a little rotation it should get tougher and tougher until it turns over the motor and you hear a fart (lol) out the exhaust. if it spins freely w/o this then you have no compression and would need to rebuild or replace. Its always good to check your temperature of your motor whilst running making sure it doesnt go over 270 degrees. aslo try puttin the motor back to stock settings and starting over. I believe its 4 full turns out on the high end and i believe flush on low end but im not sure correct me if im wrong somebody. goodluck
I have flooded the engine once before and I thought that is what it was, but it ceases when you flood it. I can turn the "flywheel" not sure what you call it, the wheel with the ridges like a quarter. I don't recall if it passed gas though :-) I have been checking the temperature and it hasn't gone over 240. A question about "turns" on the needles. What is considered a "turn", 180 degrees or 360 degrees from a point?

Thanks for your input guys.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:15 PM

ORIGINAL: jettman

If you have a glow ignitor you could try to use the glow plug ignitor on the plug instead of the EZ-start glow plug ignitor. for some reason that part of my EZ-start ignitor died, but, the EZstart motor still turns the engine over on me about a month ago. I got an ignitor and it works fine.

Just some thing to look at and make sure of before you spend alot of money on a new engine.

Later,
Jettman
My EZ start has the light on it to show the glow plug is good. I just tried my glow ignitor and it started to show a little life. I noticed a lot of fuel coming out of the exhaust (too rich?). I leaned it out a little and it started up! It was idling way too high, so I richened the low speed needle the idle and the high speed needle. I put the blue ignitor wire back on the plug and it now starts no problem and runs, but it stalls when I give it some throttle. I guess I have to mess with the needle adjustments. Which brings me back to my other question of what is considerd a "turn" of the needle.

Thanks again.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One turn is 360 degrees, you know, one full turn.
Old 02-28-2004, 11:13 AM
Banned

Allways tweak with 1/8th adjustments man!!