Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

newbie,how do identify my T-MAXX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 03:26 PM
d-oechsle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie,how do identify my T-MAXX?

I just bought a T-MAXX from a fella at the Perry swap meet.I have alot of planes and got this T-MAXX for my son.It has the same tuning issues as what I have seen in the 11 pages of topics,I think I just about worked them out with some patience.I do not have any literature on this so is there something I can see on it to identify it?It does not have a pull start and its ez start only
Old 03-08-2004, 03:29 PM
jefx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: newbie,how do identify my T-MAXX?

What are you trying to identify? Do you think that it's a fake Tmaxx or something?
Old 03-08-2004, 03:31 PM
slodsm

What is your actual question? I am not understanding what you want to know. Are you asking if its the original or 2.5 or are you having a problem you need help with?
Old 03-08-2004, 03:31 PM
d-oechsle

no,I have read where's there's a 1.5,1.8 and 2.5.Are they all the same except engine size.I just want to know in case I have to get replacement parts if something is different.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:36 PM
slodsm

they are measured in cubic inches and cubic centimeters. They are .15 and .18 which is in inches and the 2.5 is in cm. Easiest first question, does the exhaust come out of the back of the motor or the side?
Old 03-08-2004, 03:37 PM
jefx

Oh, Well both versions of the Tmaxx came with a .15 engine, but the newer version is called a TRX 2.5.
I think that you are refering to displacement. A .15 is a 2.5, a .18 is a 3.0.
There are 2 different displacement measurements
.15 equals .15 cubic inches of displacement
2.5 equals 2.5 cubic centimeters of displacement
But a 2.5 and .15 are the same size
And a .18 is also a 3.0. A .18 is bigger than a .15.

edit; Looks like slodsm beat me to it, I'm a slow typer.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:42 PM
d-oechsle

IF im not mistaken it comes out of the back,it seems i remember a 90 bend in the pipe before it goes into the muffler.Im sure the head is blue also.
Old 03-08-2004, 03:47 PM
jefx

If you have the TRX 2.5, the words TRX 2.5 are stamped into the side of the engine, just above the motor mounts. It also has a grey head that decreases in diameter towards the top of the head.
If you have the older Pro .15 it will have a blue anodized head, unless it was replaced with an aftermarket head. These are the only 2 engines that have came stock on the Tmaxx, and they are both .15 (2.5).
Old 03-08-2004, 04:06 PM
RCFreakInFL
Banned

Another quick way to tell, is on your upper suspension arms where the shocks go through them and connect to the lower arms. If there is a small gap where little play can be had (more of a circular cutout for clearance), it is the 1st version MAXX, if it is more of an oval opening, then this is for the "widemaxx" suspension found on the 2.5 versions. So in essence, you cannot use 1st version upper arms on a 2nd version MAXX without the shock bodies binding, or the steering knuckles reaching correctly (of course anything can be done with modification)!
Old 03-08-2004, 04:09 PM
RCFreakInFL
Banned

Perhaps this would make it easier:

These are from the newer series MAXX (2.5)

These are from the older series......
Old 03-08-2004, 04:26 PM
slodsm

Sounds to me like you have the older version. Blue head is the original. Also, on you rez start, is it a little box ziptied to a battery or is it a self contained black box with the battery inside of it? All signs are pointing to the original maxx.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:26 PM
d-oechsle

you guys are a great help!Im gonna say then that it's the pro .15.It look's brand new and the fuel he gave me is all it has ever been ran(about 1/3 gallon.) .It is a finikey little motor,I was careful with the settings not to get it too lean.SO is the carb adj. of 4 turns on the high speed and about 1 1/2 on the idle about right.It is hard to start even when it's been running ,i usually have to put my thumb over the aircleaner to get it to hit.I will get a closer look tonight at the carb for possible other conditions.Any suggestions?Also it seems if we push the throttle trigger forward from idle position it dies,is it supposed to do that?
Old 03-08-2004, 04:30 PM
d-oechsle

yes it is a little box tied to a battery pack.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:35 PM
slodsm

Yep, definately original then, look at it this way though, that engine is STUPID FINICKY. It will give experianced guys fits. When you finnaly get all the life out of it though and upgrade, all others will be a breaze for you. It will last you a while though. The problems with hot starting and the like are normal with that motor.
Old 03-08-2004, 04:54 PM
d-oechsle

so what is the fix if any?I thought I was pretty good with tuning,but this one had me doubting myself .But what I kept seeing was the the eng did not want a consistant tune,like maybe as the fuel burned off it was loosing some pressure to the carb.Has anyone done any testing on this that you know of. Other than the a arms will everything else interchange?
Old 03-08-2004, 05:02 PM
slodsm

One way to fix it is mount a different tank on it, any type of 4tec or rustler tank will help. The maxx tank is so tall and oddly shaped that the fuel pressure changes quite a but during running and makes consistency go out the window. Other than that, its the nature of the engine. It will try anyones patience to the extreme. If you want, seal the carb and back plate with hi temp silicone from the parts store, it will help a little. If you don't want to change tanks, set your tune with the tank half full and it will be a bit fat when its full and a bit lean when almost empty but the closest you can really get.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:32 PM
d-oechsle

thanks again for the help,I'll get a new tank for it.
Old 03-09-2004, 01:38 AM
jetphyxr

d-oechsle,

I also recently purchased an original t-maxx, actually a box full of parts off of e-bay. it has the original motor, (soon to be replaced), and has given me fits. I recently went through it at work, and found nothing wrong with it. In the february issue of rcca, they go through the process of porting the piston sleeve. If you have the means, and the steady hand, i reccomend doing this. the other thing that i believe made a big difference, is the use of teflon tape, (plumbers tape), around the high speed needle body threads. i think that this works better than rtv, because if there is any amount of residual fuel, or solvent, rtv wont stick.
i also think that where the high speed needle body, mounts to the carb is where the motor sucks air. the body of that needle is made from what looks like pot metal, and then was chromed. anyhow, mine is running much better, and is actually some what managable. i will be installing a smaller fuel tank sometime this week, because i also believe that the origanal tank is oddly shaped and possibly to much of a burden to keep pressurized.