Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo 120mm or 90mm

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 11:45 PM
infernoMP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo 120mm or 90mm

I just got my Revo today and I thought about swapping the 90mm stock rockers that are installed for the 120mm rockers that came with it. I read in RC Nitro that the 120mm ones are a bit better. What have you guys done with yours?
Old 09-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Misbehavin

Default RE: Revo 120mm or 90mm

There's nothing wrong with swapping the rockers to see the difference. However, keep in mind that the Long Travel rockers were designed for climbing and extremely rough terrain applications. They will bottom out easily on jumps and they offer no progressive rate characteristics at all, which will give you a lot of body roll when cornering.

So whether they are "better" or not hinges upon what you'll be using the Revo for. 95% of the Revo owners out there will be better off using the P1, P2, or P3 rockers.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:12 PM
infernoMP

What are you running on your Revo? And what are the stock rockers....are the the progressive 1,2 or 3?
Old 09-21-2004, 07:20 PM
Misbehavin

The stock rockers are P1, and is what I'm currently using. I have a set of P2, but haven't used them enough to offer a good opinion yet.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:12 AM
davechappelle

ORIGINAL: Misbehavin

There's nothing wrong with swapping the rockers to see the difference. However, keep in mind that the Long Travel rockers were designed for climbing and extremely rough terrain applications. They will bottom out easily on jumps and they offer no progressive rate characteristics at all, which will give you a lot of body roll when cornering.

So whether they are "better" or not hinges upon what you'll be using the Revo for. 95% of the Revo owners out there will be better off using the P1, P2, or P3 rockers.
Misbehavin is partially correct. The 120 rockers can bottom out easier because of the lack of progression (when compared to p1's, p2's, and p3's), however, the easiest solution for this is the use of #2 shock pistons in the front, #3 pistons in the rear, 50 weight oil all around(30 weight is stock), and stiffer springs. I would suggest buying one pair of black springs. Put the black springs in the rear and the (supplied with the truck) green springs in the front.
So, other than what is already supplied in the truck, you just need a bottle of 50 weight shock oil and one pair of black springs.
I hope this helps.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:59 AM
Misbehavin

You are correct in being able to go that route davechappelle. However stiffening up the suspension, so that it will not bottom out, decreases the handling ability in general over the smaller stuff. So you're robbing from Peter to pay Paul.

Plus, most people prefer more travel for something such as climbing or rock crawling. In those cases you don't want to increase the firmness of the suspension, but rather the opposite if anything.

The best route for jumping is a progressive setup. That way you still can be sure-footed on the small stuff, but yet have the suspension stiffen up when landing bigger air. It's the best of both worlds.
Old 09-22-2004, 01:14 PM
infernoMP

How much preload do you run or suggest with the stock suspension set up......it has an awful lot of "sag" as is.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:25 PM
Misbehavin

I don't have it in front of me, but I generally keep the adjuster set down about 3mm from the top of the shock, and the tie bar in the middle hole on the lower suspsnsion arm. On rougher terrain, when I think ride height may be an issue, I may raise it up some usually moving the the tie-bar to the inner hole. However for the most part I like the truck to sit low which helps with the center of gravity, and provides plenty of downtravel. You do not want to remove a lot of the "sag" (ride height) because you'll kill the truck's handling ability. Remember to keep the tires in contact with the ground, you need the ability for the shock to travel up and down.