Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 02:44 PM
Holty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie questions

Hello, this is my first post here. I"ve been lurking the forums for awhile and have some questions. What does F.O.C stand for? and what is a supermaxx? I've heard these terms used in several different contexts and am confused as to what they are? I originally thought a supermaxx was a nitro truck made by a different company other than traxxas, but i continuously here this term in this forum regadrding t-maxx's. Also, i'm looking at getting a new radio for my truck, i like the looks of the Airtronics mx-3s fm radio, but have no idea what else i need to make things work. What all is needed to get a new radio and have a no crystal system? I want only good high quality stuff please, and links to buy would be great! I here alot about high torque servos, and no nothing about them, i would also like to get a failsafe. Can somone please give me a tutorial on radios, servos, failsafes, etc. I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:05 PM
R/C Madman
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: newbie questions

FOC is forward only conversion for the tranny. Supermaxx is a high end kit that is based on the T-Maxx.

Here is the radio that I use and I love it. https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...?pn=JRT3172-27

Here is the steering sevo I use as well. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTT13&P=7
Old 09-22-2004, 06:23 PM
psycooclimber

get the venom racing failsafe. it is a little hard to find but is vary good. and super maxx is usualy alluminum and $$$$$. wheni get $400 i am getting the ACNCM.com sketen
Old 09-22-2004, 08:55 PM
ils

I have the Airtronics MX-3S FM radio. I know that I have to remove the Traxxas power switch (at the battery box) to put the Airtronics power switch in and the Airtronics' one is a little larger than the opening so I had to shave the top of the switch and jam it in with a small hammer. I also had to buy a power extention cable to make it reach the receiver nicely (cost about 5 bucks and about 3" long). The plugs of the Traxxas servos won't fit directly into the receiving ends of the Airtronics receiver so I had to shave a little off the plugs of the Traxxas servos and force it in (can easily be done by anyone). Other than that, the set up works great.
I don't like the fail safe and I don't use it. What I did was custom made a spring and tie the brake side of the gas/brake servo. I adjusted it so that with no signal from the transmitter, the spring put a slight force on the servo and pull the brake and close the throttle at the same time. The reason I like this setup is that it's simple and pretty much idiot proof (no guessing if the fail safe work or not). If my understanding is right, fail safe won't save you when someone else use the same frequency as yours; it only works when the receiver does not receive a signal from the transmiter. If you want to eliminate all your worries about run away or someone's on your frequency, buy a radio system with PCM. Here's a link that has more information: http://www.futabarc.com/faq/product-faq.html#q102
Servos are the things that receives the signal from the receiver (which receives the signal from the transmiter) and convert that to machanical movement. High torque servo means the servo has plenty of power to perform what you want it to do. It's like hauling a 50 lbs bag of sand home in your car instead of on your back (car has more power). Most people use high torque servo for steering because of the massive tires and the friction with the ground. I have no problem with the stock ones when the truck is moving.

DISCLAIMER: I don't race my truck and only use it for entertainment. I don't know a whole lot about this hobby either so take what I typed here with some grains of salt. Good luck and hope some one with more knowledge will provide more insight.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:41 AM
Holty

Thank you for answering my questions. I do like that radio in the link above, are there any modifications i would need to do to make it work. I would like as much plug and play as possible.

Regarding the Supermaxx, what does the kit involve? Is it basically a whole new truck? or do you use the stock setup from a t-maxx and add parts to it.? just curious as i have spent over $1200 in my truck already and am wondering if i should have just gotten a supermaxx?

Also regarding radios, If i purchased the one in the link above, would i still need to get servos, recievers, transmitters, etc?

thanks all.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:15 AM
R/C Madman

If you want to go Supermaxx you can go all out and buy the whole setup (About $2500) or you can add just some of there parts. Check out there website!

http://www.unlimitedengineering.com/
Old 09-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Holty

the unlimitedengineering parts and accessories look like very high quality stuff, but i think there website sucks. difficult to navigate and not enough pics.

still looking at radios and such, would like to get one maybe today or tomorrow, waiting to hear back from you guys so i have a list of things i'll need. if i should upgrade my servo arms, etc. let me know.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:48 PM
ils

************** I spent 45 minutes type up the stuffs and IE crashed and lost everything. I don't have any time to retype everything but to sum what I typed and lost: if you are not sure what the things you mentioned are and exactly what you want, don't rush out and buy them yet. Spend a little more time and do some research.
If I have time later today, I will update this thread.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Holty

ils,

thank you greatly for your efforts to help me out. I know what it's like to type up a nice long post and then have IE ruin everything. very frustrating! I do hope you have time later to repost as i'm anxous to hear what you have to say. thanks
Old 09-23-2004, 03:58 PM
psycooclimber

unlimited engenering is over rated. and way over priced if you are nor racing and if you are bashing stock chassi with rpm arms, aluminum bulkheads, titanium skids, aluminum bumpers are all you need. and i said it before i like the ACNCM.com skeliten, its a small company that is vary easy to talk to and there service is great, but thats just me. good luck, and dont rush into anything take the time do do your own research.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:34 PM
ils

The radio setup packages I see have: transmitter, receiver, and (usually) at least one servo. The more servos in the package, the more it costs and the nicer the servo, the more the package costs. I bought the cheapest setup of the Airtronics MX-3S (which came with only one servo) because I didn’t need any servo. Here’s one of many stores available on line: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGRB0&P=0.
Unlimitedengineering has many nice hopups for the T but it’s not for me. I personally think they are overpriced even though their parts are one of a kind. I think their parts are mostly for show and if you are anywhere like me: run the T around the back yard, parking lots, dirt/mud lots, and everywhere else but racing than it may be a waste of money. To convert your truck to Supermaxx, all you have to do is buy the parts and replace them from your original plastic ones.
As you run your truck more and more, you will find out which part(s) will break more often depends on your driving habit and what you want to do with it. Titanium and aluminum parts are nice but I wouldn’t make the whole truck metal. There are parts that I would keep plastic for the elasticity that it possesses and/or easier/cheaper to replace. For example, if the whole truck is aluminum and you run wide-open throttle into a tree stump, what do you think will happen? Now suppose you have the front bumper and bumper mount remained plastic what will happen? I think the bumper and its support will break but it’s cheap and easy to repair but combined, they absorb most of the shock. I have hit fences, curbs, mailboxes, car tires, houses, and even myself but I am having fun. Now, I have a three-year-old boy help me running into curbs.

To sum it all up, a new set of radio is a good start. Don’t hop anything else yet. Play with your truck and over time, you will have a better understanding of what you really want. For me, the last thing I upgraded was the engine (to the OS .18 CV-R) and I wish that was the first thing I should’ve upgraded (LOL, that engine wasn’t available 4 years ago). Good luck.

EDIT: I didn't read your signature so I didn't know what you have upgraded.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:25 PM
AddictedtoRC

aluminum a arms suck, they vibrate and the hinge pins come loose, go with RPM a arms,steering blocks, aluminum bulkheads,shock towers body mounts and skid plates. RPM stuff is great. I had an all aluminum t maxx and it was constantly falling apart, even with lock tight. I've never broken an rpm part but i've broken aluminum ones.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:29 AM
Holty

Thank you all very much again for your replies, it really helps in my search for making my T-maxx better and more fun. I'm not interested in converting my truck to a supermaxx, I was really just curious as to what is was. After looking over UE's site, I have found that there is no way i would pay the prices they are asking for there parts as I am not a racer and this is just a fun hobby me and my friends have just gotten into. I must say however, it is quite addicting, and no matter what I say, i find myself constantly wanting to modify my truck lol. So for now, the last mod i want to do is upgrade the radio system and servos. I guess i just need to know which brands of servos to get or do all the radios like in the link above come with the correct servos like in a package deal type thing?

On a side note, I've tried several times to update my sig., but here is a list of my current mods.

Dynamite Full Exhaust
Hardcore Racing Mutant Cooling Head
RPM A-Arms
Integy Shock Towers, Bulkhead braces, and Piggyback shocks
Integy chassis braces and servo skid
RPM bumpers
Old 09-24-2004, 08:47 AM
R/C Madman

You guys are funny! If you think UE parts are over rated and over priced then you have never owned them or seen them in action! They are not just "aluminum" parts they make your Maxx handle 10x better and it will take more punishment then any of you have ever even dreamed of! None of UE's parts were made for "show" although they do look great they are made to make your Maxx tougher and perform better.

P.S. Holty, your right there website does suck but, UE is just a one guy operation and he spends most of his time making his parts better.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:08 AM
R/C Madman

Sorry, I got off topic! lol Like I said in my first post. If you want to get more feedback on a great radio start a post asking members who have the JR XS3 what they think of it. I for one love the radio. I bought another RX for my other Maxx and use the same radio. I have had many different radios over the years and this one takes the cake.[8D]
Old 09-24-2004, 10:34 AM
Holty

R/C Maddman,

Thank you for your input. I would like to find out more on this JR radio you have and compare it to the mx3s. are they both synthesized? are they both fm 75mhz? price and what they come with?

thanks guys, i'll guess i'll wait to try to find out more before i buy this stuff.