Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Best T-Maxx shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 06:39 PM
ptarp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best T-Maxx shocks

I just bought a used T-Maxx and I'm wanting to upgrade the shocks to some aluminum ones. I'll mostly be running on a motocross track that will be varied in track conditions, mostly pretty loose dirt with some decent jumps and probably very few tight turns. What after market shocks are the best for the Maxx under these conditions? Are the [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXSP65&P=ML]Traxxas Big Bore shocks [/link] good? I've looked at [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFSM4&P=ML]these Proline shocks[/link] that look pretty good but are also expensive. I also like (and so does my wallet) these [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=000264102&I=LXFTK0&P=K]Hot Bodies threaded aluminum shocks[/link]? Are they good performers?
Old 09-24-2004, 06:43 PM
R/C Madman
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Best T-Maxx shocks

These are the best and all you need is 4!

http://www.unlimitedengineering.com/...ore/10120.html
Old 09-24-2004, 07:02 PM
raykessler

the new pro line power stroke ones are probably the best.... they are a new technolagy in RC shocks and are pretty much scaled down full sized car shocks..... ur gonna need a lot to make them bottom out and they still handle the small stuff
Old 09-24-2004, 07:04 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Out of the shocks you mentioned, the Big Bores are hands down the best. A LOT of racer's prefer the 8 shock setup (not going to 4) due to increased tuning ability and most use the big bores. Shop around on Ebay and you can get a good set of them for $40-$50.

I heard Prolines are AWESOME, but their price point is in left field. NO REASON they couldn't have listed for $75-$80. $120 is RIDICULOUS TO ME... They made a corporate decision to jack prices and try to recoup R&D costs based on lower volume (vs. lower cost and higher volume), they end up losing customers due to the price point. How are they going to sell when they are 2x the cost of competitors? Love em, wouldn't pay over $80 for them.

I personally don't care for most threaded shocks- I haven't seen the Hot Bodies personally, but most aftermarket 'discount' threaded shocks have a problem with the springs catching the threads during compression and rebound, and in turn effecting the shock performance. If the shock body is smooth, it prevents this from happening.

I would STRONGLY recommend big bores... dollar for dollar probably the best shock out for the Maxx.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:06 PM
Dale Gribble

I just picked up a set of Associated T-Maxx shocks for $30 from ebay... I will let you know how they work. They are also not threaded and smooth like big bores. You can buy a new set for $60-70 I believe.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:09 PM
redheat8

Integy, RED
Old 09-24-2004, 07:18 PM
rfoot

I bought the big bores and they are a tremendous improvement over stock. Ive never tried the integy shocks but I've heard good things about them.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:32 PM
ptarp

Thanks for the input guys.

Also, durability is a big factor as I plan on putting my maxx through some serious hell I've noticed that the shafts on some of my stock plastic shocks are bent. Do the aftermarket shocks have beefier shafts? Like I said, it will be running on a full scale motocross track, so some of the jumps will be pretty high But, its also kinda rough, so the progressive shocks (good at both types of terrain) sound like they would be the best (but with a big price tag).
Old 09-24-2004, 08:59 PM
Dale Gribble

big bores are just that- they have big bores for larger diameter shafts. I haven't heard a lot of problems with those at all. I think you can even get titanium shafts for them too.

I haven't heard a thing about Integys... I think their early stuff had a problem with the tops popping off though.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:41 AM
redheat8

If you use spring retainers on the shock body you wont have a problem with the springs hanging up on threaded shocks most shock kits come with them and as far as springs go there are two basic type standard which when compressed stay the same and progressive have more spring tension on both ends of the spring it's self and make for a stiffer ride, RED
Old 09-25-2004, 07:36 PM
raykessler

how much money are u willing to spend, if u have enough cash i would go with the prolines... if ur a kid like me and have a very limited imcome go with the integys.... i think they look cool

but if u go with integys theres no reason not to get piggybacks
Old 09-25-2004, 10:36 PM
MAXXacceleration

The latest Integy's(MSR5's) have 3.5mm shafts too. Thats good for thrash. I am running the Big Bores & have had no problem with them with P2 power. If I purchased again, I like the looks of the new Integy MSR5's.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:56 PM
ptarp

Wow, the [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByCategory/Product/Default.aspx?ProdID=INTT7062S]Integy shocks[/link] are as expensive as the Prolines. Which one is better?
Old 09-27-2004, 11:51 PM
ldimick

I tried Integy and then tried Power strokes. DO you want to buy a very lightly used set of Integy? (The latest model)
Old 09-28-2004, 12:28 AM
ptarp

Why do you like the Prolines better?

(PM Sent about the Integy shocks)
Old 09-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

I dunno...Integy was just trying to fill the "most expensive shock" role, than ProLine came in and actually gave you something totally NEW for the same $$.

I've heard nothing great about Integys, but nothing too terrible ('cept for one guy who bought them & hated them, but he sounded like he didn't know what he was doing). But they're really just basic aluminum shocks...those reservoirs are completely useless in shocks of this scale. Technically they're 'functional', there's a channel for fluid, but they're really just bling meant to mimic REAL MT shocks.

But performance wise, I don't think they offer anything more or less than the dozen or so other aftermarket threaded aluminum shocks.

The Prolines, as you know, are really well engineered & thought out...that progressive dampener is very cool. $120 is a good price, they originally streeted for $170 (Integys were about the same/maybe higher). But I think you're starting to see Maxx shocks selling for a lot less than they did last year, as the Maxx is 'old-news'. Search "the Bay" for "T-Maxx shocks" and you'll see a ton of options.

Dean
Old 09-28-2004, 12:16 PM
Dale Gribble

Price being the same, I would hop ALL over the Prolines too...

Dean is right- some aluminum shocks are better then others, but for the most part they are the same (I still feel aside from the Prolines that the Big Bores are the absolute best though). Big bores have a teflon coated and hardened anodized shock body... that alone sets it above many others. Anodized bodies just will not hold up as well- but they look good. Like Dean said, Resevoirs are all bling and not necessary.

I just got a set of Associated Maxx shocks and I am not impressed. The movement on the stockers is definitely smoother. I should have known better... I am going to get the next set of decent priced big bores I see on ebay.

Prolines or Big Bores... Again, the only 2 sets I would ever consider. By the way, I have seen Big Bore sets go for $35 on ebay in good shape!
Old 09-28-2004, 02:43 PM
ptarp

Wow $35, I'll keep my eyes open to ebay. Just let me know if you are going for one so we don't fight over the same set!
Old 09-28-2004, 02:59 PM
Dale Gribble

It's a deal!
Old 09-30-2004, 01:21 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

I'm looking to get some big bores myself. My stock ones leak nonstop, and its getting old. Looks like we may havesome bid wars starting up soon. Seriously though I'd be happy not to bid on any that either of you has a winnig bid on if you post your ebay userid's here. Mine is bam1593pik.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:36 PM
Dale Gribble

1971_k5 here
Old 09-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Dale Gribble

I see you bidding on a set that I was going to get into- 59235xxxx. I will stand aside on this one and wait for another set. I bet you get a GREAT deal on them. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2004, 05:48 PM
tommythecat

I'm one hour from winning the used set, but have been outbid on the other. I'm gonna shoot for the used set so all others are fair game as far as I'm concerned. thanks for not bidding against me on the used set, very classy.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:15 PM
tommythecat

The bidding is tough on these, they must be a hot item. It's gone up $20 in the past 5 minutes. I might not get em, I just cant see going $50 on a used set.

Edit: outbid at $52

That seems a bit steep to me for a used set. I bet the guy who won them is pissed, if it hadn't been for me he'd have gotten them at $26. Oh well, I'm sure the seller is happy

Hell you can get a new in box set with buy it now for $61, why would anyone go to $52 for a used set that may leak and wouldn't be warrantied.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:07 PM
terrymodz

the integy msr5 piggybacks are definately the best.....get them.....$100 mininum, goes up to $140

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.