Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
definatly... HOOK ME UP
68.75%
Mabie
15.63%
I would if it cost less
3.13%
dont really want it
12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Revo carbon/kevlar chassis

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 09:45 PM
raykessler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo carbon/kevlar chassis

depending on how many people want them i will start making carbon/kevlar revo chassis'

exact same design as the regular one but carbon kevlar instead of aluminum

i was thinking of $60 dollars plus $10 if you want custom colors, please tell me who would be intreasted, and if the price is to high, and what ud expect...... if i get enough inteast u can expect one within a month
Old 09-25-2004, 10:08 PM
ThermalRD

Default RE: Revo carbon/kevlar chassis

Sounds cool. When will you have a working product to show us?
Old 09-25-2004, 10:12 PM
raykessler

well it depends on how fast people respond to this thread... if i get enough intreast ill buy a chassis offa ebay and start makin a mold, i thought it would be a hot thing cause the revo's a racer, and racers like their carbon/ fiber

thisl be my first rc chassis so it could take a while for the first one chassis to come out considering how many twists and turns there are in the chassis... but i do know what im doin, im a hardcore kayaker, iv made several paddles many helmets, and have assisted in making a whole boat

so the faster u vote, the faster u get cool stuff
Old 09-25-2004, 11:31 PM
bamaracer0

I wanted to make one myself but i dont know how to bend carbon fiber.

I most likely would. Art's hobbies has Maxx chassis for 80, so 60 sounds like a good deal, but remember, the cheaper the product the more you might sell.

Will you have all the slots and stuff cut out too?
Old 09-25-2004, 11:35 PM
raykessler

it will be an exact copy of the revo chassis

you cant bend carbon fiber, like you buy from arts hobby, it would snap

to make a chassis like im talking about, i need to make a mold and then layer a gel coat, carbon/ kevlar sheets (as thin as paper towels), and epoxy. It is a very time consuming process and would probably take about a day to make one chassis, if i only had one mold
Old 09-25-2004, 11:37 PM
bamaracer0

I see.

Before I bought anything I would need to see some kind of feedback e-bay or whatever.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:42 PM
raykessler

like i said before, if i get intreast ill start working right away and post some pics up as soon as possible, iv never sold anything on ebay, but my buying record is spottless

the account name is sskessler, im pretty sure u can look it up
Old 09-26-2004, 01:31 AM
psycooclimber

sounds cool i race sail boats so i do a lot of fiber glass and carbon fiber repairs. i love the carbon fiber. have you ever worked with daceron, the stuff is lighter than carbon fiber. but with the carbon fiber you will have to put in a longitudional spar on each side and one from the trany to engine mount so you done get any flex and distroy the flywheel. keep us posted. how much do you charge for a street bike helmet.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:54 AM
fhm101

Provided the chassis worked without excess flex and/or breakage and was lighter than stock, it would be something worth doing, but the only way you will know is to build a few and see how they work out.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:17 AM
bamaracer0

ORIGINAL: fhm101

Provided the chassis worked without excess flex and/or breakage and was lighter than stock, it would be something worth doing, but the only way you will know is to build a few and see how they work out.
Yeah I don't wanna spend 60 bucks on something that bends and strips the spur gear and destroys the flywheel.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:13 AM
raykessler

like i said before if theres intreast ill make prototypes and test them, i dont have a track by my house, so i was planning on seeing how they held up to substansial beatings

i wouldn use one of the helmets for bikings, becasue o how stiff it is if u happened to fall off the bike u wouldn get much protection...... id stick to all the cool ones thatr starting to come out, i only use the helmets i make for kayaking slalom practice, and anywhere im not sure about i use a helmet i baught
Old 09-26-2004, 12:09 PM
revo21

I'd buy one if i could see a finnished product and you sold them on ebay.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:36 PM
HelicopterPilot

id buy one if it looked good
Old 09-26-2004, 03:37 PM
raykessler

i will probably be offering them on ebay, i just wanted u guys to know first if i make em

also i wanted to point this out, $60 is what im shooting for, because of how long it takes to make it by hand, and how much stuff is used in making it, it could come out to cost more, i just need to see how much money it takes to produce the first prototypes
Old 09-26-2004, 06:25 PM
bamaracer0

you could sell 'em for 60ish here then inflate the price on ebay, so it would be a discount for us.

I would feel special then
Old 09-26-2004, 06:49 PM
raykessler

well iv done some thihnking, and based on how many people would be willing to buy one here, iv decided to try it out

time frame, next weekend: buy a revo and put in an order for supplies, break in the engine, rip out the chassis
weekend after that: if all the parts come in during the week, ill start making a mold and hopefully pop out the first prototype, then depending on how much time i have left after that ill start testing, if its all good ill post here and tell u guys to start pm'ing me its first come first serve
weekend after that: depending on how much money i make im gonna buy a sirio .23 and a new era conversion kit, then test the chassis with that, and beef it up for you "theres no replacement for displacement" people

so keep your eyes out
Old 09-26-2004, 07:06 PM
psycooclimber

how do you make the mold. i would like to try to make one for my t maxx. i know i could buy one but then there would be 1,000's just like it. thanks. do you have a site or any other work to show off.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:18 PM
raykessler

if you just want to make one then molding really isnt for you.... molding stuff costs about $200 dollars and you really cant just get enough stuf to make one, u have to buy in bulk
Old 09-26-2004, 08:49 PM
bamaracer0

ORIGINAL: psycooclimber

how do you make the mold. i would like to try to make one for my t maxx. i know i could buy one but then there would be 1,000's just like it. thanks. do you have a site or any other work to show off.

Go to art's hobbies (banners on this site) and buy a carbon fiber panel and trace the old chassis onto it and cut, then you can make it lighter by cutting slots and holes and stuff. They have diamond tipped cutting circles to cut with on the site.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:53 PM
raykessler

thats probably the best idea..... you really dont need to mold anything unless youv gotlots of twists and turns like on the revo chassis
Old 09-26-2004, 09:10 PM
psycooclimber

but how do you do the mold. i also want to do my fender (guitar). and maby some stuff for my boat.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:23 PM
raykessler

www.fiberglast.com has all the stuff you will need to buy, as well as some articals, they also sell instructional books

keep in mind molding is a very labor intensive process and requires A LOT of patience. it is also extremly expensive. and agian, they only sell in bulk

the basic just of molding is first you have to make a mold, i like using foam, i can just pore it over the piece, then you have to sand it and make sure its smooth

making the actual piece takes pretty much an entire day, first you layer a gel coat, theh you layer epoxy and carbon/kevlar until u have the desired thickness, then you put on one more layer of gel coat... sounds easy... not so much for the epoxy to get to the desired consistanty you have to let it sit for like half an hour

i have one question for everyone, since the color i make the first prototypes in will probably be the color that the first batch is.....

do you guys want black weave, yellow and black weave, blue and black weave, or red and black weave

remember i can paint it any color u want for an extra $10 and painting would probably look best with black on back

thanx
Old 09-26-2004, 09:32 PM
waterbug1999

I would be interested when you get all the kinks worked out.

Just bought my REVO on Thursday and i all ready broke the differential. Will fix that soon.

Looking to put all aftermarket mods on as well. So, let me/us know how your final mold comes out and how it holds up in the real world. Thanks..
Old 09-26-2004, 09:37 PM
raykessler

this is mostly gonna be for racers, but since there is no track near me, the best way i can test it is by bashing the hell outa it

so when i make it my goal is to be lighter then the stock one, but able to stand up to as much abuse as the stock one (if possible)
Old 09-26-2004, 09:48 PM
bamaracer0

go for blue weave. I like blue, and it matches the color of the head and pipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.