Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo Rear differential went out i think....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 06:48 PM
waterbug1999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo Rear differential went out i think....

Bought it on Thursday and spent several hours breaking it in like im supposed to. Friday spent a better part of the day tuning the motor and what not. Saturday went across the street to the soccer fields to run it and around 1-2 hours later noticed it was slowing down. Brought it in for a closer look and only the front tires are spinnning with some noise comming (like a gear grinding) from the rear. Guessing its the rear differential went out. Can these be adjusted or when its out its out. If so, where can i get one? Thanks.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:13 PM
waterbug1999

Default RE: Revo Rear differential went out i think....

Is there a warranty on the Truck?
Old 09-26-2004, 07:36 PM
ThermalRD

If it was a defective part, im sure they would replace it. If its just wore out, or broken from abuse, then you should be responsible for it. You should really take it apart and see why it failed. Any LHS should have those parts in stock.

ORIGINAL: waterbug1999

Is there a warranty on the Truck?
Old 09-26-2004, 07:43 PM
waterbug1999

It just sucks! Only had it for 3 freakin days. When it went out, i was just hauling azz in a soccer field racing the cars on the road next to it. :-) Went to the website and found the article on how to take it apart. Im gonna gripe till they give a new differential. How can you abuse it? They differential i mean.. Cant go backwards and slam it into forward or anything? I havent adjusted anything on the truck but the Low and high needles for tuning.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:34 PM
foreverNight

sounds like a warranty issue. Call them and tell them it happened DURING break in and i bet they will replace it.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:44 PM
waterbug1999

Found a complete differential for the revo on ebay real cheap out of another revo. Do they make a heavy duty differential for these things so it WONT happen again??

This is my First Nitro and not sure what all is out there for parts. Been searching here and other websites for answers. Thanks all.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:55 PM
ThermalRD

Well, the diffs typically shouldnt go out that fast. Especially in a small block truck that only weighs 9lbs. Here are some things to avoid doing to help prevent a diff failure. #1, Dont land jumps wide open throttle. #2, DONUTS!!! People dont realize how hard donuts are on the diffs. When you get a truck spinning like that, the inside wheels spin ALOT faster than the outside wheels. Once you stop that donut you instantly put all that rotating mass right back thru the diff, and to the other wheel. That can blow a diff real easy. You may not have caused it at all. Might have been just a fluke, or a defective part. Either way, i doubt it will happen again. I havent heard of any diff issues with the Revo. I'll keep an eye on mine though. One thing i did hear about a diff though, was a missing bearing. If yours is missing a bearing in the diff housing, you will NEVER get proper ring and pinion mesh. So check that out too.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:09 PM
waterbug1999

I havent jumped the revo at all. Except if driving off of a curb counts. Did some small douhnuts though. just to see if it would. Didnt notice it till after i got back from the soccer field. Was curious why it was running slow (front wheels were the only ones putting power to the ground) so thats when i noticed when i give it gas you can hear grinding/clicking noise at the rear. Will talk with TRAXXAS and see if they will ship me a new one. If not there is one on ebay for 2.99 bucks or just get a new one from the parts catalog for a few bucks more. But all in all am real happy. Tunning was REAL frustrating. Ran good but got hot. After adjusting and cutting the front windshield out after running it WOT for awhile it was around 250 degress. Not bad i guess or should i richen it up a bit for a lower temp. Thanks
Old 09-27-2004, 03:23 PM
elite
My Feedback: (2)

I had a similar problem......engine was reving and the thing wasn't moving. come to find out, it was the slipper clutch, it just needs to be adjusted an 1/8 turn or 2. If that doesn't solve it, I would check the gear mesh. thats where spur gear and the clutch bell meet. if that isn't touching and adjusted properly then it could easily cause the symptoms your explaining. Like the others said its prob really hard to ruin a revo gearbox.....and if it were defective traxxas support is great and they would replace it for free, guaranteed!

Check those 2 things....I would venture its one of those 2. Also make sure all 3 clutch pads are in tact, if ones missing it will simply keep backing out.....happened to me.

Good luck!
Old 09-27-2004, 07:57 PM
waterbug1999

When i give it gas you can hear like some clicking/stripped gears in the rear.. The front works good and no noise. I can actually have 3 wheels on the ground and turn one of the back wheels and itll click and turn like if some teeth were stripped out. Almost positive something is wrong with the rear differential.. Going to take it apart when i have time. Will take some pics of the part when i get it out. Should have it apart by the end of the week. Thanks