Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Metal Filings in my Rear Diff,? normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 10:25 PM
rozzibandit
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metal Filings in my Rear Diff,? normal?

I have taken apart my rear differential because it seemed like it was wearing out on my revo 13 tanks old . When i disassambled it there was a ton of metal filings in the oil. the gears did not look to worn , I guess? Dont know what a normal one looks like It seems as if the front tires all of a sudden started pulling much harder than the rears. Heard about shimming the diffs. Someone explain that in detail for me Thnaks for any help
Old 09-28-2004, 10:27 PM
oatmealman
Banned

Default RE: Metal Filings in my Rear Diff,? normal?

it shims the gears closer together to make the mesh harder which in return makes less play in the gears
Old 09-28-2004, 10:33 PM
rozzibandit

where do i get the shims and where do iput them in the diff, on what part , once i do get them?
Old 09-28-2004, 11:06 PM
waterbug1999

Mine did the same exact thing... The front diff. works fine but the rear wasnt. Hey, does your rear make like a clicking (like the gears are stripped) kind of noise when you give it gas? I have talking with Traaxas and they said they would send me the part i need, if i can figure it out.

Are the gears plastic?? If so, dont see how you can get metal shavings in there... Will take mine apart tomorrow to see how mine looks. Keep me informed in what happend to you revo. Mine is more then likely the same thing... Thanks
Old 09-29-2004, 12:57 AM
rozzibandit

Mine is doing exactly what you are saying. I took it apart and the gears are all metal. I think it ate some material off of the gears inside the carrier as well as the pinion gear. Metal filings all over the inside. Put it back together , going to see what happens in the morning. then give traxxas a call. Sure hope they replace the gears because i dont want to buy them already . Semming this only the 13th tank. Let me know what you find!
Old 09-29-2004, 04:19 AM
waterbug1999

Here is what they wrote to me: Paragraph 3 is me at the beginning. 4 is their response. 2 is my response and 1 is the last email from them. So, they will send you a new part and then you have to send them your bad one... So, at least they are willing to work with us.

I will be happy to replace the part under warranty once you identify what is broken. I will need to have the part back here for inspection however so please don't throw it away. ( I will send the replacement first)
Buying something that doesn't work and having it break on the 3rd day are somewhat different things. yet there are still absolute reasons for each type of occurrence. Our engineers will be able to determine the cause of your differential failure. Please register your truck at this link if you have not already done so. http://www.traxxas.com/support/trx_rgstr_benefits.htm

Thanks,
Steve

At 06:22 PM 9/27/2004 -0500, you wrote:

> No, i havent had time to take it apart yet.. Plann on doing it in a few days as soon as i dont have to work... "Parts Dont Simply Fail" What?
> You have never bought anything and it did not work? I know i have.. So, parts DO simply fail and i would like you guys to take care of it. Its not like i had it for 6 months or a year.. It was three days. First day was breaking it in and secound day was tunning and 3rd day was when it broke. Let me know what you guys would like me to do..
> Also, i was not going to buy an expensive RC due to the fact of them breaking, instead i spent 500 bucks to get a good one because i was told they are good quality... Guess the 200 dollar might have lasted longer... HHMM..
> Thanks
>
> Traxxas Support wrote:
>
>> At 07:27 PM 9/26/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>>> Just bought a bran new REVO on thursday and after break in and tuning.. on sunday i believe the rear diiferentail went out. When giving throttle there is a grinding noise from the rear as well as only front tires are turning. Not to happy about a 500 dollar truck all ready broke due to parts failure. Is there a warranty on this or do i have to put a new differential in. Let me know Thanks
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have never seen parts simply fail. There is always a cause. Have you identified the parts that are causing the problem yet? You might need to take the differential apart to see.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Stephen Lindholm,
>> TRAXXAS Customer Service
>>
Old 09-29-2004, 11:19 AM
rozzibandit

Well I just spoke with traxxas, I Have to fax them a copy of the reciept of the reciept and a quick note of what is going on. Then they are going to send me the rear diff parts that went bad Goo traxxas
Old 09-30-2004, 08:53 AM
redheat8

It's not uncommon for the diffs. to go bad on these Traxxas trucks, that clicking you hear are worn misalianed gears in the diff. that is something that creeps up ever so often, RED
Old 10-03-2004, 06:44 PM
waterbug1999

Check this out!

Saturday, I was taking the rear differential out to send to traaxas so they can send me a new one. Well, i took the front one out to place in the rear so i can still drive/tune/play around with it. And all be damn 1 tank later that one took a ***** to! So, i guess ill get 2 new differentals back. Hope those wont wear out so easily!! Whats the FREAKIN deal....
Old 10-05-2004, 02:00 PM
tommythecat
My Feedback: (2)

I hear people recomending shimming em to tighten up the mesh. Does anyone know where one can acquire appropriate shims? My diffs are clicking but stil running smooth and tight, I would just like to be sure to preorder shims and replacement diffs, so I'm ready when they do go out, plus I'd like to do whatever is necessary to extend the life of the next set while I have it all apart.

Another question: how hard is it to drop the diffs, do you have to take the bulkheads off?
Old 10-05-2004, 02:05 PM
oatmealman
Banned

well since i'm poor do it the ghetto way go to a hardware store buy the smallest thickness washers thats you can find bring your diff with you and make sure the washers fit it worked for me i have no play,and i'm not really poor i'm just to damn lasy
Old 10-05-2004, 06:55 PM
waterbug1999

When the rear one first went out i went and bought a package of them from the LHS for 2.99. I put 3 in and got it almost to wear there was no play at all. Anout 1-2 tanks later it ctarted stripping out again... so, it did not work for me.