Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

OLD tmaxx

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 03:22 PM
Cloud15x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OLD tmaxx

Well for one I don't run my tmaxx(.15) anymore. I perfer my 1/8th scale buggy because of its agility and speed. The other reason I don't run it and why I need to get it running, is 2 winters ago I completly rebuilt it, with forward only conversion, new graphite radio tray, servos, new heatsink for the .15, MIP 360 stinger.... And This summer I was trying to start it up, and when I opened up my HSN, it snapped right off. So I figured I would go ahead and buy a new engine instead of a new carb because I will soon probably have to rebuild it and for the lack of power it puts out (compared to my .21 RB WS7)

I was wondering besides the megatech .16, what engines can bolt onto the chassis without mods? Any .18 Sirio's or Fantoms?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 10-04-2004, 04:07 PM
helidreamer-RCU

Default RE: OLD tmaxx

Hey mike I'm not sure specifically which engines but i know wasp and sirio has a direct mount engine. Go to [link=http://www.rcnitro.com]CLICK HERE YES HERE HERE HERE HERE[/link] and i think they have an article or dyno test on a sirio engine that fits directly.

David
Old 10-05-2004, 05:52 PM
Cloud15x

Maybe I am just challenged, but I see Sirio reviews, but nothing stated about being a drop in replacement for the .15 maxx.

GrRrrRrrR, I can't find anyway to fit a .21 on the maxx chassis without taking out the rear shocks. That would be cool though, short wheelbase with a WS7 in it.....

Any help?
Old 10-05-2004, 06:48 PM
Cloud15x

Meh, I think I am just going to throw it out, the whole Tmaxx, I thought about selling it, but as it seems, nobody would be interested in a .15 maxx anymore, let alone maxx's in general. I guess though if anybody wants some parts off of it, if anything is compatible, just ask. Shocks and stuff.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:48 PM
cmate

I have an old tmaxx, I bought it used. It was already .21 converted, and has a picco sport .21 engine.

So basically you end up with a new chassis, put a new engine on it, but most of the original parts bolt on without a problem.

Actually I have taken it further, and bought a widemaxx conversion:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDAK6&P=7

Actually I bought everything but the a-arms, I put alumium a-arms in...

I bought the ofna roto-start system for the engine, and that works pretty well...

I also upgraded the gears to aluminum...

So I would say in general I am happy with my 'old' tmaxx now that I gave it new life...
Old 10-07-2004, 08:31 AM
redheat8

The Wasp .18 drops right in to the .15pro chassis, RED
Old 10-07-2004, 04:43 PM
kimberklr

the os .18cv-rx would be a perfect combo for you and its a direct drop-in for the .15.it has close to the power of my fr-18 but runs much much better and holds tune like no other i've seen.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:50 PM
ZondaC12

^^^^^YES!!! get the o.s. .18 cv-rx perfect for a pro.15 drop-in replacement. tons of power i got one in my sportmaxx 2.5 (wish i waited now i know this is really for the old tmaxx/other rc cars with the same setup, cuz NOW theyre coming out with the .18 TM for the 2.5 version tmaxx. *sigh* jeez i hate it when companies do that to ya)

but it's ok i got what i needed to adapt it to my truck and it works great, little tuning necessary, havent changed needles, in what 2 weeks MINIMUM? god i love this thing, old 2.5 i was constantly fooling with the needles wasting time and fuel trying to stop it from overheating!
Old 10-09-2004, 10:05 PM
Cloud15x

It looks like the wasp puts out a bit more power than the os. I have never owned an OS, would it be better to go with what seems to be a more relyable engine with less power, or the one with more power.

What shaft do I need with the Wasp?

Michael
Old 10-10-2004, 11:12 AM
Cloud15x

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFDJ4&P=7].18 Wasp[/link]

Gah I am trying to remove the collet from this engine..... I can't do it. All it does is create sparks with my tools trying to take it off. It isn't counter threaded is it? I tried both ways for grins and it still wont come off. I have also tried heating it.

Help [:'(]
Old 10-10-2004, 11:56 AM
redheat8

Throw a little wd on it and let it sit then try it , as far as the engine selection goes OS are great engines I have 3 ,.12cvr's and luv em, I also have the Wasp .18 and it to is a great engine that starts everytime and is loaded w/ HP the price is what caught my attention, RED
Old 10-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Cloud15x

Yah that is what caught mine too. I was like this is a no brainer... The OS. But I can't afford an engine ALMOST twice as much as the wasp that produces less power, especally when I mainly run my buggy(RB WS7).

I have a 360 MIP stinger and I am wondering with the wasp, DO I need a new header or exhaust system?

Also I came across this when I searched TMaxx engine on towerhobbies. Looks really similar to the wasp but is at the OS' price. [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHFB6&P=7]Diablo[/link]
Anybody know anything about this engine? I still will probably buy the Wasp.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Cloud15x

How about this. I know this is the price of the OS, but it seems to produce a lot more power. [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXERB6&P=7]Epic .18 Big Bore[/link]
Is this a direct fit to the stock maxx?
Old 10-11-2004, 05:41 AM
Cloud15x

Bump for the day

If I go with the Epic, how soon before I look at replacing drivetrain componets? I plan on leaving the two shoe stock clutch their as long as possible, and I can loosen the slipper if need be....
Old 10-11-2004, 02:50 PM
Cloud15x

Bump for the rest of the qustions
+
I am trying to discharge a hump pack for my maxx, but I don't have a battery discharger. I have noticed that just with the reciever pack on. The battery has lasted a good 72 hours straight.
How unefficient.....
Any other ways to discharge a pack without buying a discharger?
Old 10-11-2004, 05:53 PM
kimberklr

is your pac nicad or nimh?if its nimh you dont really have to worry about discharging.
as for it lasting 72 hrs. till discharging that doesn't sound all that bad depending on how many mah's it is.also how are you charging it?that will also have alot to do with run time.i personaly use my peak charger for charging my reciever pack.that way i know its fully charged.

as far as how long your drivetrain will last with a more powerful engine,that depends on acouple things.
first what shape is it in now? if its on its last leg now you probably wont get much time out of it.
secondly how's your driving? doing things like taking landings full throttle will tear up a drivetrain no matter what engine your using.

for acouple of examples,i've been running a fantom fr18 in my 2.5 maxx for almost a year now with no problems except for the occasional spur from rocks or other objects getting caught up in there.my biddie has also been running a os .18cv-rx for about the same time with comparible results.and i would say that the os is atleast as powerful as the epic if not more.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:32 PM
Cloud15x

Driving style, Well I have never really broken anything on my maxx..... When I really drove it, I was afraid of it, as I did not know the knowledge to fix it. My dad fixed it for me and I see him once every other weekend. Now that I have a better understanding on how things work, I don't have a fear of what happenes to the exepensice hobbies, because I can now fix them.

The pack has only been charged twice. Once begging of summer of '03(ran it dead in my car before I stored it, and beginning of summer '04. I used it to test servos and such for fun applications. I usually charge my packs at 1 or 2 amps, depending on the usage. I see slight performance gains at 2amps and they charge faster. (Usually when I am in a hurry, or am racing some buddies) Besides that, I just charge them at 1 amp.

The charger is a Prophet Plus that we bought for an XX4 we never used. So I use it to charge my bump box(HUGE HELP), all my battery packs and any 6 cell pack I have lying around.

THe OS doesn't fit in the .15 though......... Well the .18 OS CV-RX does..... But I see it only pushes like 1.5 hp, where the epic does 1.8+.

Oh well....
Old 10-11-2004, 06:33 PM
Cloud15x

Oh yah right now I have my pack hooked up to a computer fan....
Old 10-11-2004, 08:08 PM
kimberklr

dont get to caught up in numbers.theres alot more to engine power than peak hp.and os is known for being conservative on hp numbers anyway.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:35 AM
Cloud15x

Well since my budget is now 140.....I see towerhobbies has like 6 versions of the .18 cv-rx which is suppost to be a drop in for the .15 maxx....... can anyone point to which one it is?
Old 10-12-2004, 07:17 AM
kimberklr

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGGP8&P=ML]os .18cv-rx[/link]

if you spend another 10 dollars you get 20 off your order.

so really you get the motor for 130.00 with another 10 dollar item.

everything is drop in so all your .15 parts will work.you may wish to get alittle better exaust system when you can afford it but for now the stock will work.and it comes with a good air filter already.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:32 AM
schmism

I put an Epic .18 in after i gave up on my pro.15. I love it. Within about a week of getting it broke in i twisted 2 sets of plastic drive shafts. SO now i have CVD's in the rear and plastic up front. that has held up for a few months now.

I like my Epic and would do it again.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:43 PM
Cloud15x

Well I have the MIP 360 stinger.... How will that perform with the .18 OS? I think I might just go with the OS, I don't feel like cutting threads off of a crankshaft.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:07 PM
kimberklr

ah,i forgot you mentioned the mip stinger exhaust.that should work great.as long as it fits the trx .15 it will fit the os.and i hope it dont hang out the back to much because you will be doing mad wheelies with the os.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:16 PM
AJ DRAGON

HI
Go here and check out the review on the EPIC Big Bore .18 engine. And yes the MIP stinger will fit on the EPIC BB .18 engine. This engine will drop wright in to the old T-MAXX, all you have to do is shorten the treaded crank shaft.

http://www.beatyourtruck.com/prodrev...rivetrain.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.