Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

diff weight oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 10:20 PM
maxx4life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff weight oil

right now i have a sportmaxx but i'm getting the 4-wheel drive kit in a week or 2. i am a total basher and don't race at all. i am going to take the diff apart and put new oil in them. i am wondering what thickness i should use? I want something thicker than stock so i get almost equal power to each wheel but still have okay turning. Would 7000 be good or should i go higher or lower?

thanks a lot
colin
Old 10-04-2004, 10:41 PM
ThermalRD

Default RE: diff weight oil

I was un-aware that Traxxas had put sealed diffs in the maxx trucks. You might do better with the different weight kyosho diff grease. It will stay in alot longer. If you are tuning a maxx diff, that is unsealed the way i remember, you'll lose diff fluid in a day of running. But to answer your question, 7000 seems good for the rear on a light truck. I had my Revo at 10k, and im taking it down to 7k. My front is 3k.

ORIGINAL: maxx4life

right now i have a sportmaxx but i'm getting the 4-wheel drive kit in a week or 2. i am a total basher and don't race at all. i am going to take the diff apart and put new oil in them. i am wondering what thickness i should use? I want something thicker than stock so i get almost equal power to each wheel but still have okay turning. Would 7000 be good or should i go higher or lower?

thanks a lot
colin
Old 10-05-2004, 09:31 AM
R/C Madman
My Feedback: (1)

ThermalRD's right Traxxas does not have sealed diffs and putting fluid in them for bashing is a big waste of time. You can as ThermalRD said put diff grease in them but, that to will work it's way out over time. Stock all that they put in there is a bit of grease.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:34 PM
davechappelle

70,000 in the rear and 50,000 in the front seems to work well. Since the diffs are not sealed, though, you will need to put the diff oil in after every race weekend. Thed diff action will even start to change during the course of the race day.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:50 PM
TexasTMaxx

[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFTY0&P=7]This [/link]is what I use. It gives great diff action and is thick enough to stay in. Mine has been in almost 1/2 gallon and still doing good.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:11 PM
rozzibandit

300 k is some really thick stuff. What kind of action do you get from that? How does the truck respond? Ever used it in a sealed diff?
Old 10-07-2004, 03:48 PM
sarge00

If all you are going to do is bash, plain old automotive grease works well. I packed both the front and rear of one of my e-maxxes and have had no problems. It slows the diff action down from stock, but if you're bashing you probably want more traction to both wheels anyway.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:38 PM
kimberklr

well i've tried acouple different greases and what i liked was [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCNK5&P=7]hard[/link] in the rear and [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX2880&P=0]associated black[/link] in the front.