Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

How my tuning misfortune saved my truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 07:28 PM
static-tnx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How my tuning misfortune saved my truck

Well it had bee about 2 weeks since i ran my T-maxx (TRX 2.5[:'(]). Last time i used it ran great, just about poppin wheelies. Today however it would barely run. It started out fine, but after about a minute it just died. My first thought was that i was running it too lean, so i ran over with temp gauge in hand. I checked the temp, it clocked in at a measly 92 degrees celsius, hardly a dangerous temp. I tinkered with the high speed needle for a while, still nothing. then i checked the glowplug, the coil was white, definatly shot. So i went a grabbed a new one, i reset it to factory needle settings and switched the glowplug. It still wouldn't start. after about 10 minutes of trial and error tinkering i finally got it, except i wasn't sure how hot it would be running, so i thought i'd finish the tank with periodic temp checks. I drove it around a bit, touching on a wide range of RPMs hit a jump a couple of times, the usual. Then while i was getting some more run up for the ramp, the truck heading away from me, i found out that some how my range had dropped significantly. I had a run away, i chased it for two blocks until it flamed out, Thank god it flamed out, it still had half a tank. I still don't know why my range dropped, the antenna wire was fine, my batteries were charged, there was nothing around that could give me interference. Maybe someone could help me, since i tried the range in a different spot (truck not running of course) and had similar results. my range has gone from the claimed quarter mile, to 5 metres.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:08 PM
ils

Default RE: How my tuning misfortune saved my truck

I don't know but here's what you can check real quick: is any of the servo behaving a little eratic (little different than normal), check the receiver antenna again (it's insulated so it may be hard to spot a break), or may be one cell of your battery pack decided to retire early.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:18 PM
SexyPizzaMan
My Feedback: (19)

Your lucky. My friend sportmaxx had a run away. It went full, into a curb, over it then up a hill into a tree. He always crashes airplanes in trees, never thought his truck would take the same path hehe. Your so lucky. He had no damage but his heart flew out of his chest, he has atleast 800 into it. Ever see a grown man cry. I almost did that day. Hope you get your problem fixed, Did you check your crystals??
Old 10-08-2004, 09:31 PM
static-tnx

No, how do you check your crystals?
but yes, my throttle servo does seem a little twitchy when both the receiver and transmitter are on and the transmitter isn't being touched. wierd, is my servo shot? or maybe my receiver? what could have caused this?
Old 10-08-2004, 10:59 PM
ZondaC12

this may sound stupid but i hear that term "flame out" used from time to time and i dont know what it means. is it when your engine just stalls? leans out way too much and stalls? seizes up? connecting rod snaps? what is it?
Old 10-09-2004, 12:15 AM
Melancholy43920

you don't sound stupid cause i wanna know too lol. i know when someone says their engine flames out it stopped running but i don't know what 'flaming out' is and what it does to make the engine stop running. makes me think of a flame shooting out of the pipe, which by the way i had happen to me last night.

i have heard others mention this and people say they didn't believe it. well believe it cause it happened to me! i was trying to get the engine started to redo my break in on a freshly squeezed sleeve and it kept bogging like it was way way rich so i leaned it out a bit and upped the idle and fired it up, literally! a large bright white flame puffed out of the end of the pipe for just a fraction of a second. it was after midnight in an unlit parking lot so it was very easy to see. it happened so fast that i would have never noticed it if the sun had been out. but it did start up and run after that...
Old 10-09-2004, 12:55 AM
ils

If your servo is acting a little twitchy, I suspect something is causing the interference like some metal part is loose and vibrating and causing the interference. Check you battery powerline and see if it's nicked or cut somewhere.
I am not very experienced so I am just throwing some wild guesses until someone provide a solution.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:28 AM
SexyPizzaMan
My Feedback: (19)

Pull your crystal out and test it in another truck. If your other truck acts the same way, twitching, then its the crystal. Then i recomend you just get a new one and thats it. I had this problem with one of my micro helis. The crystal was half way out and bent. The servos were jittery and acting strainge. It may be a servo, my lite machines heli servo died on the tail. What happened was i was flying and then suddelny the tail sewrvo goes nuts, its just messed up. Is it just one servo that it twitching or is it all of them.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:00 PM
TGreg24

my savage was doing that and all i did was take off my fail safe and i was good to go.
[8D]
it was a dynamite fail safe.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:05 PM
static-tnx

I don't have another truck to test it on but thanks for all the help guys, but i did learn one important thing, damn i can run fast scared!
Old 10-09-2004, 11:43 PM
fastcrash

ive had this happen also, it usualy happens when an engine is running very rich in the bottom end, and very lean in the top end. it usualy happens with large displacement engines,(sirio .27 11port in my case).

ORIGINAL: Melancholy43920

you don't sound stupid cause i wanna know too lol. i know when someone says their engine flames out it stopped running but i don't know what 'flaming out' is and what it does to make the engine stop running. makes me think of a flame shooting out of the pipe, which by the way i had happen to me last night.

i have heard others mention this and people say they didn't believe it. well believe it cause it happened to me! i was trying to get the engine started to redo my break in on a freshly squeezed sleeve and it kept bogging like it was way way rich so i leaned it out a bit and upped the idle and fired it up, literally! a large bright white flame puffed out of the end of the pipe for just a fraction of a second. it was after midnight in an unlit parking lot so it was very easy to see. it happened so fast that i would have never noticed it if the sun had been out. but it did start up and run after that...
Old 10-10-2004, 11:35 AM
static-tnx

Now that mention it, ya, that is probably what caused the flame out, since every time i richened the HS needle it seemed to run better, that's how i got it started. But i checked all my batteries last night, they were all fine the checked in at 1.28 volts on average (+/- .02)
I'm so confused![sm=confused.gif]
Old 10-10-2004, 11:17 PM
rozzibandit
My Feedback: (1)

Ya chased it for 2 blocks, ROFL, now that is a funny picture in my head. Never had a runaway. Use a fail safe, LOL you pretty fast runner I take it.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:50 PM
static-tnx

only caught it cuz it hit a curb a flipped, i tgot a headstart cuz i had to stand there with my jaw dropped for a second