Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Revo Motor Swaps

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 08:51 PM
kanai3racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo Motor Swaps

Hello I am new to this forum board and would like to find some help with my new Revo!! I race 1/8 scale buggys and have several trucks that I love to drive and bash on with all my race buddies. I own a savage ss that run great and is my most trusted truck. I just built a new savage ss and did the hotbodies twin conversion on it. It is pretty bad ass. I Just got rid of my Lst to many flaws and problems with that truck. Don't get me wrong it has alot of power and torque in low and is fast in high but it has to many design flaws in it and you have to fix and repair every time you run it. Hopefully they will work out all the bugs and get it turned around but if you ask me the truck as it sits now sucks. My track runs MT on friday nights so I bought a Revo to go out and race. I was woundering if anybody has put the bigger motors in theres yet and if it effects the racing abilitys of the truck and how to go about doing it. I know New Era has 3 kits out there if this is the way to go wich is the best one. This truck will be raced only no bashing. My savage is for that you can't hurt those trucks. Well thanks alot for your time and help.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:31 PM
bamaracer0

Default RE: Revo Motor Swaps

I have not yet, but I plan to eventually.

there are sevral people on the traxxas forums that have put new engines into their revos
Old 10-11-2004, 08:08 AM
SexyPizzaMan
My Feedback: (19)

I agree on you savage, i have one and i beat it up real good. I even had it flip upside down into a swamp i pull it out, let the water poor out turn on the engine AND STILL RUNS. Well, i ahvent seen any drop in motors yet,let me know if u know of any
Old 10-11-2004, 08:33 AM
ThermalRD

If you're just racing i wouldnt go dumping a big motor in it. You've gotta remember how light that truck is compared to the others. Im still running stock 2.5R and have no problem catching any vehicle on practice, or race day. Its fast. If you want more, i would recommend waiting for the OS .18 TM. Which will probably still be too much power.

Matt
Old 10-11-2004, 10:24 AM
rozzibandit
My Feedback: (1)

Take Thermals advice the 2.5R is a powerhoused match for the Revo. My stock Revo all out wrecks my friend's Savage .25 and Tmaxx with the sirio .18 in it. Doesnt beat them by a little either it all out wrecks them , in acceleration top speed and jumping + durability. Awesome truck, Longer rockers are for climbing and crap like that only , NO GOOD FOR RACING AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2004, 09:40 PM
SexyPizzaMan

I dont really like the 2.5 engines. They have been known to shatter pistons quickly. Im not looking to over power the old engine. I woud like to match it. A .18 would be nice, any .18 motors drop right into revo without conversions??
Old 10-11-2004, 09:46 PM
bamaracer0

The OS .18TM will i reckon
Old 10-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Bruno

Running a higher % of Nitro will give you some extra power, 30% would be good for that engine.

Cheers,
Bruno
Old 10-12-2004, 03:10 PM
Deandome

I've NEVER heard of 2.5s 'shattering pistons'!!

Losta people say they're hard to tune, but I've never heard of durability as being an issue.

ANY motor that works on the T-Maxx can/will be able to be put in a Revo..it's just a matter of getting the right engine mount (i.e., New Era has one for the Sirio .23 & maybe some others. OS's new .18 is gonna be sold w/Maxx OR Revo mounts, too.

But remember, if RACING is your goal, anything over a .18 engine will stick you in the "Unlimited" class, where you'll be competing against truggies & buggies w/modded RB 28s. Sticking with the 2.5, or getting one of the many .18s that are Maxxible (OS/Fantom/Sirio/Epic) keeps you in the Smallblock class, which is a much more level playing field.

Dean
Old 10-12-2004, 03:38 PM
rozzibandit

Is the new OS .18 with Revo mount out yet? I an looking forward to that. Ran only OSmotors in my helis Had a .91Cpesc with a perry fuel pump(unbelievable power ) In my MA Fury
OS 50SX-H in JR Vigor (great engine as well)
OS 30SX-H in my Raptor.
Loved everyone of those OS engines. and can't wait to get that for my Revo. OS engines run like the Old Honda 3 wheeler engines, they just keep going.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:13 PM
fastcrash

try running oddonel 30% race fuel and a mccoy mc-59 power plug in your 2.5 for now. i found that combo makes great power out of the 2.5r.
and dont forget about the close ratio gear set
or different spur and pinion combos
trust me the 2.5r might share the same carb and crank case as the 2.5, but the sleeve and piston, and the header/ pipe are well matched to each other. the performance changes from the 2.5 and the 2.5r are drastic. i wanted a swap before i even started the engine cause of previous 2.5 experiences, but dont spend your money just yet.
your "race truck" would bennefit more from a set of 40 series bow-ties, a shock spring collection, the p-2 and p-3 rockers, and pushrods, and a set of aluminum shock ends from new era models.

If you dont take any of that advice, at least get a .21 that has a high rpm rating.(ofna's 8-port hyper .21 would be perfect) and dont forget the forward only conversion, cause the power of a .21 will snap the injection molded stock forward gears.------------chris
Old 10-12-2004, 09:56 PM
SexyPizzaMan

Well today i had my first engine"problems." Not major at all. I was driving it, tank # 5. Last break in tank. I am just about to get half speed when it just cuts. I walk over thinking ahh, the plug finally gave. I try to start and sure enough smoke was comming out but it wouldent start. I replaced the plug even though it seemed fine. I tryed to start and nothing. It was then that i realised that a TON of oil was in the pipe header and pipe preventing the engine from running longer then 1 second. It was frustrating to get the oil out since it sat in the header and engine for one night. Well after about 20 - 25 min of cleaning and starting the engine was full of life and back in working order. Not to bad. I fell a significant power differnece between this new engine and the one 2.5. My friend who replaced his 2.5 for a 300$ wasp .21 said. I never remember the engine having this much power. I had sportmaxx and i back up his opinion. The engines good for now but i would like to get a siro 3.0 .18 engine. Anyone know if its any good. Price is 179.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:11 PM
kanai3racer

I am racing the truck as stock for now but will change the motor I have never been impressed with the 2.5 and this new one does nothing for me the truck is great but my opion is that the engine is it's one down fall. I am glad to see that what I have planned to change and have order the parts for are what alot of you are saying would be good to do. I am putting the progressive 3 susp. kit on it ordered alot of diffrent springs to play with. I am putting the one way drive in it. As far as the motor goes I don't have to worry about running in a diffrent class. My local tracks around here run monster trucks on friday nights and buggys on saturday. I will be running against all kind of monster trucks with it and that is it. I race 1/8 scale buggys. I am use to alot of power and throttle resp. so not being able to control it with a big motor is not really an issue. I put in a novac exxxtra pack and run it with my M-8. I am running HPI dogbones they are working great. I am going to run a big block on it with one of my fioroni turbo sliding clutches. I am running 30% I run sidewinder pro race blend in ever thing I run. It is great fuel.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:57 AM
deka14353
My Feedback: (45)

Hi guys and sorry to jump in
i just got a revo and right from the start i put a sirio 18 i had to shave a little from the engine mount and cut the heather but it fits good i will be running it this weekend so i will let ya know how good is it
and also my buddy got one like 2 mos ago and the engine was given him problems all the time that is why i got the sirio right from the start
Old 10-17-2004, 12:05 AM
cendude

Here are a pair of Big Block Revos. One has a MACH .26 the other a ported Sciro.27 Pro,Sorry about chopping up the pics but the files were too large.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92635.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	183502  
Old 10-17-2004, 09:05 AM
Ken448

I think the 2.5R supplies ample power for the REVO.. Just enough to yank the front end skyward, yet controlable enough to keep it down and steerable. Yes, it was a pain in the butt to tune, but these motors seem to have a looooooooong break in period. I was seriously thinking about chucking my 2.5R about 1.5 gallons through it, because the temps wouldnt stabilize at all, then all of a suddden on the 3rd gallon, it stabilized, and now requires only minimal adjustments for ambient temps. Shattering Pistons!?! thats a new one.. Yes, when my 2.5R is dead, I wont be rebuilding it, but for now, its a great powerplant for this truck, and matched to it near perfectly. I will prolly be going to the OS .18. Id like a little more out of control power, and a bit more of a challenge
Old 10-23-2004, 12:36 AM
deka14353
My Feedback: (45)

well i got to break it in i have nearly 8 tanks of fuel and started to tune it in but is choking on the high end so i took the
pipe and drill a bigger hole i will run it sunday and see.
now i was told that if this wont work, to try the mgt stock pipe any advise on this one?
thanks
Old 10-23-2004, 06:11 AM
cendude

I use a Cevec Z165 with my Mach.26 and it fit were the stock unit is and helps on the top end